Author Topic: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n-C | Editor: V1.26n-B)  (Read 124658 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix (Current: V1.08n) and NeoLemEdit (Current: V0.60)
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2014, 09:54:41 AM »
Also, I'm going to include the Amiga version's 2-player levels in the Orig player. Do any other versions have these? (I think I heard ONML does. H94 doesn't seem to - if it does, they're not in the rips - were there any in H93?)

Genesis has the 2-player levels, cut down to fit that version's reduced level size. Levels 9 (The Pipe Room) and 12 (The Crystal Cavern Mark II) are replaced by completely different levels, "Now use miners and climbers" and "A task for blockers and bomber" (no connection with the single-player levels with those titles!)

(doesn't SNES also have 5 or so in a rank titled "Sunsoft"?)

Yes. They're all levels from the Genesis version (Two heads are better, I am A.T., Final impediment, Private room available, Lemmings' Ark) but I believe the terrain is slightly different, and this makes 2/4 possible on Two heads are better, whereas it's not (known to be) possible on Genesis.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2014, 10:02:20 AM »
Also, I'm going to include the Amiga version's 2-player levels in the Orig player. Do any other versions have these? (I think I heard ONML does. H94 doesn't seem to - if it does, they're not in the rips - were there any in H93?)

Genesis has the 2-player levels, cut down to fit that version's reduced level size. Levels 9 (The Pipe Room) and 12 (The Crystal Cavern Mark II) are replaced by completely different levels, "Now use miners and climbers" and "A task for blockers and bomber" (no connection with the single-player levels with those titles!)

(doesn't SNES also have 5 or so in a rank titled "Sunsoft"?)

Yes. They're all levels from the Genesis version (Two heads are better, I am A.T., Final impediment, Private room available, Lemmings' Ark) but I believe the terrain is slightly different, and this makes 2/4 possible on Two heads are better, whereas it's not (known to be) possible on Genesis.

I'm not worried about minor variations like that (heck, initially I wasn't even going to bother with the Genesis versions of the Fun through Mayhem VGASPEC levels, but someone requested it and if I can get a hold of the levels and VGASPEC files it's not going to take much effort to add them in); but I'll have to hunt down those two Genesis-exclusive two player levels. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Sega style is nearly ready. Terrain is completely done, just got to do the objects.
EDIT: Almost! Just got the trap left to do.
EDIT AGAIN: And it's done! There's nothing NeoLemmix-exclusive about it (though it does look better when used with NeoLemmix (or CustLemmix)), so I made a topic of its own in Fan Corner. Levels coming at some point... not today, I'm too tired now. xD
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »
I'd really like to get the "Extra" player included with the V1.09n update (I'm going to make a non-NeoLemmix version of it too, by the way; so I need to get all the content before I can start adjusting it for NeoLemmix, though I can release a NeoLemmix player using unmodified levels before that). At the moment, all I'm missing as far as I'm aware are the Genesis VGASPEC files (which worst case scenario I'll try and recreate from level images, but I'm kind of hoping someone still has them lying around somewhere), and SEGA Five (which I just haven't got around to remaking yet; I've done the other four SEGA levels).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2014, 11:30:52 PM »
At the moment, all I'm missing as far as I'm aware are the Genesis VGASPEC files (which worst case scenario I'll try and recreate from level images, but I'm kind of hoping someone still has them lying around somewhere)
I already have those graphics ripped for the SuperLemmini Genesis pack. Later today, I will try to make VGASPEC versions for you.

Make sure that your Genesis levels use the correct stats. The Genesis version used up to 100 lemmings, but it's possible that the ones on the level archive were changed to use a max of 80. (Actually, some of those levels were modified in ways that needlessly make them less faithful to the real Genesis levels [such as water being removed], and some of them use the wrong starting position. If you want, I can rip those levels myself, complete with the multiplayer and test levels; it shouldn't take long at all.)

Also, in case you haven't been following the SuperLemmini thread, do note that the Genesis version spawns lemmings four pixels lower than the Amiga and DOS versions do. This is important because at least one level (Mayhem 15) is impossible with the Amiga/DOS spawn height.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2014, 11:37:52 PM »
I have Genesis versions of the GROUNDxO.DAT files which should take care of most of the differences. Thanks for letting me know about the entrance though, that's something I'll have to hardcode in the player (or add support for setting that in the styles; probably this actually as it'll in general be a useful feature to have.)
If you've got the pure terrain images (ie: without the objects), I can easily make VGASPECs from those. My 'if I have to' was meaning like, finding maps / screenshots, editing out the objects, etc. :P

EDIT: One more I'm looking for (I haven't actually searched yet, I've only *just* been reminded of it's existance). "Ohayou Lemming-San" from the SNES version.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2014, 03:07:27 AM »
The Genesis special graphics are attached. All you need to do with them is convert them to VGASPEC files. Assuming you're using the levels from the level archive without modifying them, here are the file names to use:
  • Fun 22: VGASPEC4.dat
  • Tricky 14: VGASPEC5.dat
  • Taxing 15: VGASPEC7.dat
  • Mayhem 22: VGASPEC6.dat
  • Sunsoft 18: VGASPEC8.dat

(In case you're wondering, yes, the graphics really are supposed to be 511 pixels wide, not 512. Odd, I know.)

EDIT: One more I'm looking for (I haven't actually searched yet, I've only *just* been reminded of it's existance). "Ohayou Lemming-San" from the SNES version.
I once tried to rip the SNES levels without success. I think they're compressed somehow. (And this was after I figured out the Genesis level format.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2014, 03:25:48 AM »
The Genesis special graphics are attached. All you need to do with them is convert them to VGASPEC files. Assuming you're using the levels from the level archive without modifying them, here are the file names to use:
  • Fun 22: VGASPEC4.dat
  • Tricky 14: VGASPEC5.dat
  • Taxing 15: VGASPEC7.dat
  • Mayhem 22: VGASPEC6.dat
  • Sunsoft 18: VGASPEC8.dat

(In case you're wondering, yes, the graphics really are supposed to be 511 pixels wide, not 512. Odd, I know.)

I once tried to rip the SNES levels without success. I think they're compressed somehow. (And this was after I figured out the Genesis level format.)

Awesome, thanks for that. I'll have to renumber them (or the other levels), as currently I'm using 6 for The Apple Computer Level and 8 for Sixes Not. But that's probably the simplest task imaginable, so. :P
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2014, 05:15:28 AM »
Okay, NeoLemmix version of the Extra player will be done with the next update - I still have to load the Amiga version H94 levels into it, as well as a few other things I want to implement before the next release.

However, the traditional Lemmix version of it has been released, see here.

The only probably-compatible unique level I know of that it's missing is "Ohayou Lemming-San" from SNES. That doesn't mean there aren't others; just that I'm not aware of them.

It would also appear that the versions on the level archive are adjusted to compensate for the fall distance; either that or you're mistaken about the fall distance. I just got up to and solved that level now, not only was it possible but I actually thought it was pretty easy compared to a lot of the other Genesis ones so far.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »

The only probably-compatible unique level I know of that it's missing is "Ohayou Lemming-San" from SNES. That doesn't mean there aren't others; just that I'm not aware of them.

Thanks for ripping and making a Genesis (+other versions) player. There are some NES and ZX Spectrum unique levels too, but perhaps they are too hard or unfeasible to recreate.

By the way: at least on Oh No NeoCustLemmix 1.08 (I have not tried the other players yet), I've found that writing "CHEATCODES" on the New Level section doesn't work.

Oh, and two final suggestions:

1.- Could you please allow the cursor select items on the on-game menu while Pause is activated (on Lemmix, not on Neo, which actually works)?
2.- Also (but not very important), could you map 'P'/'p' as a Pause button too, like F11? I always wrongfully press that key for Pause (blame on me and [Super]Lemmini  :D)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2014, 09:25:05 PM »
Thanks for ripping and making a Genesis (+other versions) player. There are some NES and ZX Spectrum unique levels too, but perhaps they are too hard or unfeasible to recreate.

Someone mentioned NES to me. I don't think they'll be directly convertible, but I could look into remakign them at some point. It won't be in the near future though - Sega is kind of a special case for me, but no more remakes at least until LPIII's done. :P However, if anyone else remakes these, I'd be more than happy to include them of course.

By the way: at least on Oh No NeoCustLemmix 1.08 (I have not tried the other players yet), I've found that writing "CHEATCODES" on the New Level section doesn't work.

NeoLemmix uses the code from the official versions, not "cheatcodes". So for ONML, that's "SLAMRACING".

1.- Could you please allow the cursor select items on the on-game menu while Pause is activated (on Lemmix, not on Neo, which actually works)?

The whole reason I haven't changed this here is because traditional Lemmix is meant to be a virtually perfect emulation of the original games. I generally try to avoid changing anything that's replicated from the originals, unless it's purely graphical or it's in a custom pack (ie: LPDOS / LPII having instant bombers and a few other changes in LPII) - same reason there isn't, even as an option, instant bombers in the non-Neo ones.

2.- Also (but not very important), could you map 'P'/'p' as a Pause button too, like F11? I always wrongfully press that key for Pause (blame on me and [Super]Lemmini  :D)

I can definitely do that. I've added to my notes to make sure that's in V1.09n.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »

Someone mentioned NES to me. I don't think they'll be directly convertible, but I could look into remakign them at some point. It won't be in the near future though - Sega is kind of a special case for me, but no more remakes at least until LPIII's done. :P However, if anyone else remakes these, I'd be more than happy to include them of course.

That reminds me of PlayStation Portable unique levels - it seems that the user called Luis have recreated all 36 new levels for that handheld in the Level Pack web:

http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/ag1zfmxlbW1pbmdzLWRichYLEglMZXZlbFBhY2sYgICAgMCcggoM/
http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/ag1zfmxlbW1pbmdzLWRichYLEglMZXZlbFBhY2sYgICAgKCSnwoM/
http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/ag1zfmxlbW1pbmdzLWRichYLEglMZXZlbFBhY2sYgICAgKCZkAoM/

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2014, 12:47:56 PM »
Sweet. I'll add those once I've gotten around to adding support for >5 ranks (not hard; just something I haven't done yet).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix (Current: V1.08n) and NeoLemEdit (Current: V0.61)
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2014, 03:07:37 AM »
A minor update to NeoLemEdit.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ct68958j9lhl0v1/NeoLemEdit_v0.61.zip

NeoLemEdit v0.61 changes
> Objects in VGASPEC levels now render with the adjusted colors
> If a graphic set that supports it is being used, left-facing pre-placed lemmings will now be rendered as such

To add support for left-facing pre-placed lemmings to a graphic set, just add a second frame which contains the lemming's left-facing graphic. Note that you do NOT have to do this for left-facing lemmings to be *functional*, only for NeoLemEdit to be able to display them as facing left - NeoLemmix in fact does not render the pre-placed lemming objects at all (it just creates a lemming at their position - the top-left corner of their trigger area, NOT the direct coordinates of the object - so if you place one at 100,100 and it's trigger area's top-left corner is at 4,5 on the sprite, the pre-placed lemming will be at 104,105), the graphic of them is entirely for the level editor's use.

Also - if you're using a 32-color graphic set, VGASPECs only overwrite the first 8 colors, and the remaining 16 custom colors will stay as-is. This is useful to keep in mind if you're making a graphic set you intend to use together with VGASPECs. Of course, NeoLemEdit handles this correctly.

A couple of questions about features, one that I'm not too fussed about (because I use my own seperate tool for it) and one which I'd like but don't want to if other people are going to find it problematic:

1) Saving images. Should I make it automatically crop out the black space on the sides?

2) How would you feel if I took the load/save from DAT options out of the Files menu, and instead put them somewhere else as a general DAT management tool (still with the option to directly load/save levels to/from the DATs, of course, as well as general adding and extracting files)? I'm thinking about extending NeoLemEdit beyond being just a *level* editor - for example, adding graphic set editing functionality to it as well; since while LemSet works fine for me, I do notice no one else has done anything with it yet, of course that may just be lack of time or interest but having a simpler tool avialable might also make people more interested in doing so.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2014, 10:26:01 AM »
Haven't tried the NeoLemEdit yet, because I was so addicted by playing levels with different gimmicks. Despite some impossible levels and the singular music track it constantly plays (Although that song is very good whoever composed it) it made Lemmings fun again. I made sets of results for some of the gimmicks, but haven't bothered with combinations apart from 4210. If anyone's interested by my results please let me know.

As for questions about the editor.

1) Saving images. Should I make it automatically crop out the black space on the sides?

2) How would you feel if I took the load/save from DAT options out of the Files menu, and instead put them somewhere else as a general DAT management tool (still with the option to directly load/save levels to/from the DATs, of course, as well as general adding and extracting files)?

For 1, that would be useful if you could do that, so yes.
As for 2, Definitely keep the Load/Save buttons in the File Folder, because that seems to be the crux of many computer programs. ;) You could copy them to the DAT management tool if you want to, but not cut and paste.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2014, 10:37:06 AM »
To be clear - loading and saving *LVL* files would still be in the File menu. It's packing DATs that wouldn't be; it' be somewhat more similar to how Lemmix handles them than how LemEdit did.

I would then most likely use the freed up space for other options - like for example, saving the level image.

About the repetitive music - V1.09n is going to have an option to not play special musics on gimmick levels. :)

As I keep mentioning, NeoLemEdit is still far from complete - but it is capable of fully creating a level. However, if working in traditional styles (and especially on traditional engines), an older editor is probably the easier option. The advantages of NeoLemEdit is full support for NeoLemmix features - especially when using 32-color graphic sets, it can be a pain trying to use anything else when designing for NeoLemmix. My initial reason for creating it was that designing the LPIII levels in traditional LemEdit was a pain in the ass (and as you know, I'm not a huge fan of any other editors). As a random piece of trivia - "Dreamy Drift" was the last level to be made entirely in traditional LemEdit (not including minor changes with QuikEdit / hex editor), though a couple of other levels since then were started in traditional but later continued in Neo.
My Lemmings projects