Author Topic: Lemmings Plus DOS Project (third and final demo now available!)  (Read 52799 times)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Plus DOS Project (official 10-level demo available!)
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2009, 04:55:55 AM »
Yes, I've noticed that several levels of yours have distractors. I definitely love distractors in lemmings levels :thumbsup:
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2009, 04:57:21 AM »
It's even more fun to make a hard level that has a generic skillset, though. Like for example, how "No Time To Die" just gives you 9 of everything, or "To The End!" gives you 20 of everything except builders, and you're on your own to figure out which ones need to be used and how, rather than simply having a few extra duds thrown in.

It's also quite fun to set lower % requirements than the intended solution will save. For example, the intended solution on Coalburner easily saves upwards of 90% (and indeed, you'd have to go out of your way to lose much more than this), yet it only requires 80%. Many of the PSYCHO (and to a lesser extent, Danger) levels do this. PSYCHO 6 "The Bulldozer" is very evil on this - it requires 98%, and gives you a blocker. Good luck finding any way to actually use that blocker - the intended solution uses only builders and bashers, and should save 100%. Of course, there are some levels where doing this just isn't practical, as saving the requirement is part of the challenge in itself. PSYCHO 28 "To The End!" is probably the best example of this - imagine how much easier it'd be if you could just leave a couple of blockers lying around throughout the level. Instead, you have to either find a way to get them to turn around in the position they themself were blocking (obviously without using another blocker, since then you'd have to free that one) after you free them, or find a way to avoid using blockers altogether. (In a very rare display of niceness from a PSYCHO level - either way is possible.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2009, 04:55:54 AM »
w00t, I finally managed to make a couple of dirt-style levels that are actually pretty challenging.

(One is late-Danger, one is mid-PSYCHO)

100% appears to be impossible on both. My record is the requirement on "Secret to Success", and 97% on "The Hideout" (but I'm pretty sure 98% should be possible - and with an extra builder, 100% is possible).

In general, I'm trying to avoid using the fire and marble (and to a lesser extent, brick) styles on the recent levels as I've used them far too much so far. :P

All old downloads (except the official demo) have been removed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2009, 05:47:58 AM »
100% appears to be impossible on both.

:D

100% is certainly possible on "The Hideout". And no, I didn't use glitches, although I did take advantage of the game mechanics in a way (creating a step by stopping a basher mid-stroke).

And I just realised I recorded my replays in Custom Lemmings mode, which changes the entrance order. I guarantee the solution doesn't depend on this though ;)

My solution (attached) for "Secret to Success" isn't stunning percentage-wise, but it is very simple - perhaps too much for your liking.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2009, 06:04:27 AM »
I wouldn't consider that overly simple, it's pretty creative. I'm considering whether or not to leave that in as a second route...
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2009, 01:03:31 PM »
Another challenge for you guys:

"Shooting Star" (I posted it a while back) is intended to teach the fall-bomber trick. Your challenge is to beat it without any falling bombers. (This requires use of at least one skill not used in the normal solution, release rate manipulation, and multiple pixel-perfect moves.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2009, 05:54:57 PM »
Will levels requiring the Vgaspec graphics be used in this?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2009, 08:35:10 AM »
The default ones, no. I may or may not make a level using a custom one, but most likely not.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2009, 05:46:49 AM »
Well. 76 levels, and still not a single one using the Bubble set.

So here's the first one using it! (As well as an easier version of it that requires only 50% and gives 20 of everything, but that one's not really worth posting. Modify the attached level if you really want to play it.)

Also, I've removed all old level downloads (except the official demo). I'm thinking about doing a second preview pack now that there's a better selection of levels to choose from, too.

EDIT: At least one backroute fixed. Redownload if you had it before this note was here.
EDIT: Should be completely backroute-free now.

This level is no longer available as a single download.
My Lemmings projects

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2009, 06:01:09 AM »
I saved 97% with a climber, floater, and blocker left -- is that intentional?
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2009, 06:02:39 AM »
Can't say it is. My solution saves 96% with only the floater left.

...and I just blew both of our solutions away by saving 98% with 2 climbers, the floater and 2 blockers left. >_> But the way I did that is VERY easily fixed.

Uploaded the fixed version above, let me know if your route still works on it and if so, can you upload a replay?
My Lemmings projects

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2009, 06:18:05 AM »
My route still works.

Here's the replay:
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2009, 06:33:06 AM »
Ah. That's not too different from my intended solution, although it does avert one of my favourite parts, so I'm thinking about whether or not to leave it in... I'll probably remove it, not that hard to do... (either make the diagonal ramp indestructible, or to be more fair, put an obstacle that must be climbed inbetween the mining point and the wall that's climbed at the start, either way will fix it).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2009, 06:51:46 AM »
A second demo is now available, containing another 2 levels from each difficulty. Some of these have been posted temporarily earlier in the topic, some have never been seen before:

Mild: "Farewell, My Lemming" and "Across The Ditch"
Wimpy: "Backdraft" and "Get up, up, up!"
Medi: "This Is..." and "Eye of the Lemming"
Danger: "In the life of a Lemming" and "So That's The Plan..."
PSYCHO: "Lightspeed Lemming" and "No Time To Die"

I also counted up how much I've been using each  style, and was quite surprised, since I didn't think I'd been using Pillar nearly as much as Marble...  so far:

Dirt: 9
Fire: 10
Marble: 14
Pillar: 16
Crystal: 11
Brick: 9
Rock: 4
Snow: 3
Bubble: 2
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2009, 08:49:44 AM »
Fixed the latest backroute.

By the way, don't assume that your solution is unintended because it's easy on this one. This one isn't intended to be PSYCHO, it's intended as mid-Danger (which is substantially easier than PSYCHO).
My Lemmings projects