Author Topic: Cheapo Level List Game  (Read 70546 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #225 on: March 08, 2006, 03:20:57 PM »
Lemmings Plus 3: Daigoro - Level 9: Catastrophe
Save 20 of 20
Release rate: 1
Time: 2 minutes
Skills: 1 builder, 20 of each other skill
Good: I like the design for some reason; shows up (intentionally) a nice use of an (at least for experts) known trick.
Bad: Compared to the levels before, it is, as stated in the introduction, lots harder than those, such a difference doesn't even appear in the original lemmings, and by far not at such an early position; has a backroute*.

*) You can simply solve it using the trick[highlight]to create a step into the terrain when you have a basher build during his stroke[/highlight]. However you could easily remove this backdoor removing the builder (since there's a way to do the intended solution without not using the builder), it would make the level even more difficult compared to the others though.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2006, 06:02:35 PM »
I did wonder why we were given one builder, unless it was to make us look harder, since with just one builder you look first for where you can use it, and it might take some time before you look for solutions that don't use the builder at all.

Ice_Eagle91

« Reply #227 on: March 08, 2006, 10:47:38 PM »
LP3 Daigoro Level 10: Lemmaga

Save 16/20
Release Rate 1
All skills 10
3 minutes 30 seconds

Good: Multiple solutions (most of these levels have multiple solutions!), nice design.
Bad: Sometimes it can be tedious

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #228 on: March 09, 2006, 03:23:40 AM »
About the name: It's actually a password I used to use. I just put the word "forever" (don't remember why), and since it needed to be 8 characters, I randomly chose to put the number 7 on the end. And I thought now that that'd make a cool level name.

About "Catastrophe": No builderless solutions were intended. But I can think of one, not sure if the time limit would allow it though.

And yes, Ice_Eagle, pretty much all the Daigoro levels have multiple solutions. The only ones that don't have multiple intended solutions(other than the training levels) are "Burnt To A Crisp", "Catastrophe", "It's Over There" and "The Incinerator". And only the first two are for difficulty - the other two are simply too simple to have multiple solutions. (Well, if you count "The Incinerator"'s 100% solution, it has multiple solutions, but the 100% solution is only very slightly different to the normal one)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 09, 2006, 11:11:03 AM »
The builderless solution to Catastrophe: bash, go up the mesh, bash, then when the first lemming reaches the protrusion, mine as he turns round to make a "step". Make all the lemmings climb and bash along the top to the exit.

Especially given the hint, I'm surprised to hear that isn't the intended route!

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2006, 04:58:11 PM »
Lemmings Plus 3: Diagoro
Level 11: Jyuuichi No Level

Save 75% of 20
Release rate 1
8 minutes

Skills: 15 of each

Good: a nice step up in complexity without being too difficult; the 100% solution (which I have now achieved! yay!) is well concealed and requires some genuinely new tricks
Bad: having to drop into the exit (and repeat the entire level if you get it wrong) is annoying

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2006, 11:35:02 PM »
(I'm not including the pack name, as everyone knows which one it is)
Level 12: Road to Nowhere

Save 19/20
RR 1
9 minutes

20 for all skills...

Good: A fun level.
Bad: Seriously, the music doesn't fit inside the whole game. Also, why were musics 4, 16 and 17 of Lemmings Plus 3 skipped? If I have to say anything bad about the level, it's that some parts of the terrain aren't used.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #232 on: March 10, 2006, 03:01:16 AM »
Quote from: Ice_Eagle link=1102948574/225#231 date=1141947302
(I'm not including the pack name, as everyone knows which one it is)
Level 12: Road to Nowhere

Save 19/20
RR 1
9 minutes

20 for all skills...

Good: A fun level.
Bad: Seriously, the music doesn't fit inside the whole game. Also, why were musics 4, 16 and 17 of Lemmings Plus 3 skipped? If I have to say anything bad about the level, it's that some parts of the terrain aren't used.

4 and 5 I don't like, 16 and 17 I don't have (and don't like 16).

And if you think terrain is unused... wait for the harder version, Zanmato 17 "To The End!". Apart from that pillar at the start and one other piece(which I won't reveal, to avoid giving away the solution), all the terrain is used. Revealing about the pillar isn't a major giveway, it's impossible to get to in the harder version anyway, as you have no builders.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 10, 2006, 10:21:50 AM »
Lemmings Plus 3: Diagoro
Level 13: Road From Nowhere

Save 95% of 20
Release rate 1
9 minutes
Skills: 20 of each

Good: Nice twinning idea, playing the previous level in reverse, and mercifully the backwards route is a bit quicker.
Bad: invisible metal and a hidden trap make the beginning part unfairly hard, especially when trying for 100% (which I have now achieved! yay!)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #234 on: March 10, 2006, 08:26:25 PM »
Keep in mind with Road To Nowhere and Road From Nowhere, the harder version "To The End!" was designed first, unlike with most levels where the easier version was. The hidden steel adds to the challenge a small bit, and you should expect stuff like that towards the end.
My Lemmings projects

Ice_Eagle

« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2006, 08:52:51 PM »
Shi Ka Inochi

Lems 10/20
RR 1
Six Minutes
All of the skills are 5

Good: The level design is cool, as it looks like a palace room. I also like the fact that all skills are 5 because it makes finding solutions more fun.
Bad: Nothing bad, this level is cool!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #236 on: March 10, 2006, 08:56:58 PM »
Someone's bound to ask, so the translation of Shi ka Inochi is "Life Or Death".
My Lemmings projects

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 12, 2006, 01:33:20 AM »
LP3 Daigoro - Level 15: Lane of Lament

Save 16/20
RR: 99
Time: 3:00
Skills: 20 of everything

Good: Reminiscent of Oblivion, alliterative title...

Bad: With 20 of everything, this is very easy (I realize this is the easy set, but still).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #238 on: March 15, 2006, 02:54:29 AM »
The first two Lane Of Laments are very easy to anyone, and the 4th is easy to those who know the Oblivion trick. The 3rd one, however, is a different story.

Anyone gonna do 16?
My Lemmings projects

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 15, 2006, 10:43:36 AM »
The fourth Lane of Lament is also fairly easy without the Oblivion trick -- that's how I got 100%.