Author Topic: Cheapo Level List Game  (Read 70546 times)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #210 on: March 04, 2006, 08:34:35 PM »
And now!

IS01: Difficult Level 22: Phone Call from Europe

Save 98% of 160
Release rate 88
2 minutes 13 seconds

3 climbers, 1 of each other skill

Good: an elegant little level that isn't as straightforward as it first appears, and great music  ;)

Bad: I'm not too wild about the way my backroute's been cut out by cutting little holes in the bricks -- it doesn't look all that attractive, if you ask me. But it's your level.

Good or bad, not sure: I might have found another backroute, or it might just be an alternative solution. Either way, I still didn't need the floater.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 04, 2006, 08:51:21 PM »
Quote from: MC Marshy link=1102948574/195#208 date=1141491707
I've played the Custlemm version of a few of your levels Insane Steve and I am really proud to say that you have some nice looking levels  :)

Thanks! I have a lot of levels on Cheapo that aren't on CustLemm, though (mainly due to how annoying a few of them would be without fast forward), so you may want to check them and a few of the other packs from other authors out.

You should need the floater for 1.22... So ya, another backroute. And maybe even more holes in the terrain. The reason that level looks so bizarre is because it was intended for the sequel to the MS Paint Adventure pack... so it was all made with Paint, except the metal. That pack was never completed, though: I think I had 2 total levels -- that and a level where you used bombers to blow a hole through George W. Bush's face to get to the exit in his mouth. Hahaha.

LP3 Daigoro: Level 1

Block Blow Go

Save 5/20, 5 minutes, RR 1
20 Bombers, 20 Blockers

Good: A good instructional tool for how to use blockers and bombers. Designed so that it isn't hard to pass, but can't be passed until the player can understand the concepts behind blockers and bombers.
Bad: Actual terrain looks a bit sloppy. Also, why training levels? I mean, if a player is interested enough in Lemmings to find Cheapo, I'd assume they know what the skills do... &#A0;;)
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 04, 2006, 09:37:33 PM »
Bah, didn't stop me including training levels in my sets  ;)  It's a nice way to begin.

I'll tell you my solution to 1.22 so you can judge whether you want to eliminate it or not:

First lemming climbs, another lemming blocks to seal off the teleport. RR 99. Climber goes over the one-way wall and up the next wall and digs down it. Make two more lemmings climb, very close to each other, timed to reach the digger when he's some way below the level of the crowd. When they pass him and start to climb up the wall of his tunnel, have him mine, which will turn the other two climbers round. One of them bashes the one-way wall, turning the other, who bombs a hole in the little structure on the bottom level. Meanwhile the digger/miner goes ahead to build to the exit.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 04, 2006, 09:42:03 PM »
Lemmings Plus 3 Diagoro
Level 2: Let's Build and Bash

Save 66% of 30
Release rate 50
7 minutes
50 builders, 20 bashers

Good: slightly harder than #1 as you need to think about crowd control
Bad: I think it's a bit too tedious for a training level, but then, so was "Now use miners and climbers". Also, the title is a rip-off of "Let's block and blow"  ::)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #214 on: March 05, 2006, 01:48:12 AM »
I guess I shouldn't review my own levels, but since it's only the training ones, I'll help get to the real ones quicker. ^_^

That Floater Is Mine
--------------------
Style: Pillar
Lemmings: 10
Save: 10 (100%)
Time: 5:00
RR: 1
Skills: 0/10/0/0/0/0/10/0

(yeah, I copied and pasted that from a data file I have)

Good: A fairly easy level, while still requiring the player to understand the horizontal aspect of miners.
Bad: Can be confusing at first for a training level.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 05, 2006, 11:08:45 AM »
Right, so let's have done with these training levels now!

Lemmings Plus 3: Diagoro
Level 4: Dig the Climb

Save 100% of 20
Release rate 1
5 minutes

20 climbers, 20 diggers

Good: introduces some not-at-first-sight-obvious aspects of these skills -- the fact that a climber will always climb a wall and can't be stopped, and the trick of spacing diggers so as not to make one long drop
Bad: having to click on every lemming is a bit tedious

Ice_Eagle91

« Reply #216 on: March 05, 2006, 05:30:07 PM »
LP3: Daigoro
Level 5: Until we Lem Again

To Save: 16/20
RR: 10
Time: 8 min.

Skills: All have 20

Good: There are many ways to solve this level, and it's quite fun. This is actually one of my favorite levels.
Bad: It may be a little confusing at first.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2006, 05:20:26 AM »
I won't review any of my PROPER levels. But I must agree with you IE - "Until We Lem Again" is a very fun level.

PS: I've been playing some of IS's levels so I'll actually be able to review them next time around. I find the 3rd "You Know What You Have To Do" harder than the 4th, by the way.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2006, 06:25:33 AM »
LP3 Daigoro Level 6: Burnt to a Crisp

Save 16/20, RR 1, 7 minutes

15 of all skills

Good: The terrain is well placed. It also requires a rather interesting thought process to pass.
Bad: Far too difficult to be 1.6. Seriously. Also, the hint insinuates that a direct route to the right was impossible, although that's pretty much exactly how I passed it.

Regarding my 1.22, that's a very easy to fix back-route; just remove one climber. The intended route requires 2. Thanks for pointing it out, though.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Ice_Eagle91

« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2006, 06:30:00 AM »
LP3 Daigoro
Level 7: Lemmings For Breakfast

Save 8/20, RR 50, 8 minutes
Skills are all 20

Good: Again, a fun level with multiple solutions. The steel traps are placed nicely. Also one of my favorites.
Bad: Sometimes it can be frustrating

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #220 on: March 07, 2006, 07:28:53 AM »
Quote from: Insane Steve link=1102948574/210#218 date=1141712733
Bad: Far too difficult to be 1.6. Seriously. Also, the hint insinuates that a direct route to the right was impossible, although that's pretty much exactly how I passed it.

1.9, 2.5 and 2.19(with the intended solution) are much better examples of "too difficult for their positions".
My Lemmings projects

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2006, 04:01:28 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve link=1102948574/210#218 date=1141712733
Regarding my 1.22, that's a very easy to fix back-route; just remove one climber. The intended route requires 2. Thanks for pointing it out, though.
No, my route is still possible with just two climbers -- the climber who bashes the one-way wall can later bomb the structure on the bottom level.

One possible fix (although I don't know whether this would disrupt the main solution): remove one climber and make a hole at the bottom of the long vertical wall of pink blocks so that if the lemmings turn back to the left they will walk off the level.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2006, 09:27:44 PM »
Lemmings Plus 3: Daigoro
Level 8: Forever Seven

Save 80% of 20
Release rate 20
7 minutes
30 of each skill

Good: the difficulty is just right for its position, and the level has unique features that make it fun to play. The time limit is generous and allows you to experiment  :P  and 100% is possible
Bad: I hate this music..... and if I have to say something bad about the level itself, I guess the right half is fairly pointless

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #223 on: March 08, 2006, 03:06:33 AM »
Forever Seven is probably my favourite of Daigoro. :)
My Lemmings projects

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 08, 2006, 10:45:58 AM »
One of my favourites too, as you can probably tell from how much good I had to say about it  ;)  Why the title, though? I'm curious.