Author Topic: Cheapo Level List Game  (Read 70515 times)

JM

Re: Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2006, 08:44:29 PM »
This ain't been touched in ages  :o

Haven't played the rest of Insane Steve's pack but who's passed the rest of the levels?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2006, 09:07:29 PM »
Gah, thanks for reminding me!

IS01: Difficult Level 18: The Abyss

Save 33% of 3
RR 70
25 seconds
Skills: 1 of each

Good: a very tricksy little level with a simple premiss -- the level would be pointlessly easy with more time, but you don't have more time -- requiring a bit of cleverness for the solution
Bad: I don't know if I found the intended solution or not.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2006, 09:59:50 PM »
IS01: Difficult - Level 19: 8-3 Staircase
Save 90/100
RR: 05
time: 8:03
Skills: 5 climbers, 5 floaters, 1 bomber, 5 blockers, 15 builders, 1 digger

Good: Nice idea to remake a complete level from another game (although it is said not to be exact); either ways it uses quite a nice trick; nice simple design.
Bad: IIRC, I solved it differently the first time I solved it than this time, therefore it might have a perhaps backroute-like solution; a lot of building, too much IMO; and building over a blocker required (something I don't like for some reason).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2006, 11:49:20 AM »
IS01: Difficult Level 20: Stairway to Somewhere

Save 49 of 50
Release rate 40
7 minutes 12 seconds

1 floater, 1 blocker, 30 builders

Good: the difficulty is just about right for the end of the first set (I've changed my mind about this now) and it's an interestingly unique level. The 100% solution makes a nice challenge -- satisfying to solve but not *too* frustrating.

Bad: two levels in a row that are almost entirely building

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2006, 07:55:21 PM »
Remember -- my sets are incomplete as of yet (thanks, college). I intend to place levels between the current 1.19 and 1.20, so the straight builder levels can be spaced out a bit.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 03, 2006, 08:17:07 PM »
IS01: Difficult - Level 21: 4 Pillars and a Trap
Save 76/80
Release rate: 30
Time: 3 minutes 15 seconds
Skills: one of each

Good: It's already almost a classic, uses one of each skill most effectively showing up several ways to break through a thin wall and has a simple and clear design.
Bad: The long time of digging is the only thing I can think of.

BTW, I'm almost done with your four sets, Insane Steve. Only one more level to go. I hope you'll get this work ready anytime.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 03, 2006, 08:26:40 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve link=1102948574/195#199 date=1141415721
Remember -- my sets are incomplete as of yet (thanks, college). I intend to place levels between the current 1.19 and 1.20, so the straight builder levels can be spaced out a bit.
Ah, true. &#A0;;) &#A0;No reply to my other comments? I hoped to gently prod you into revealing the intended solution to 1.18 (it hardly spoils anything, since I have solved it now), and I wondered if you'd be interested that 100% is possible on 1.20; or is that old news too?

Anyway, just one level to go of the current version of this set. If no-one else gets there first, I'll have a go at solving it so I can review it; I solved the same level (Phone call from Europe) in a previous version, but using a backroute that has now been removed.

When we're done, Sunrise wanted us to review Ultimate Challenge 1 next. And can we do one of my sets after that?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #202 on: March 03, 2006, 10:32:13 PM »
That was WAY before LP3 was released. I'd much rather see LP3 reviewed than UC. Maybe since there's 5 of IS's packs and 4 of LP3 (5 if you count the two-level Rejected Levels bonus pack), after IS's we can do LP3 Daigoro, then IS's 2nd, then LP3 Kozuka, etc.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 03, 2006, 11:29:12 PM »
Ah, right. Intended solution to 1.18. There's probably lots of back-routes, but this is what I had in mind making the level: (highlight)

RR 99, let 2 lemmings out, RR70 for the third. First blocks almost immediately upon landing, so it turns the second. Second builds. Third mines behind it, cutting out a slight chunk of the staircase without undermining the builder. Second lemming turns, fall facing right, and is mad ea floater (maybe) right before hitting hte ground.

I didn't think 1.20 was 100%able upon making it, but now I can see it. Although, it looks a lot harder than the lose 1 solution.

BTW, geoo, &#A0;which one level you have left? I'll have to finish the other 30 sometime soon.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 03, 2006, 11:52:48 PM »
Quote from: Sunrise link=1102948574/195#202 date=1141425133
That was WAY before LP3 was released. I'd much rather see LP3 reviewed than UC. Maybe since there's 5 of IS's packs and 4 of LP3 (5 if you count the two-level Rejected Levels bonus pack), after IS's we can do LP3 Daigoro, then IS's 2nd, then LP3 Kozuka, etc.
I have no objection to doing LP3 Daigoro next, but I don't want to have to wait for another eight packs to be reviewed before mine get a chance! So I'm going to make a new rule: each designer can have only one pack on the "waiting list" at once -- that gives other people the chance to ask for theirs to be reviewed once the current pack is finished.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get round to doing all four LP3 packs eventually!  ;)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 03, 2006, 11:54:53 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve link=1102948574/195#203 date=1141428552
Ah, right. Intended solution to 1.18. There's probably lots of back-routes, but this is what I had in mind making the level:
Right. That's pretty much my solution, then, except I didn't bother with the RR changes. And I was lucky with my placement and didn't need the floater.

I didn't think 1.20 was 100%able upon making it, but now I can see it. Although, it looks a lot harder than the lose 1 solution.
Yes. Remember how when I first solved 1.20 I complained it was too hard for its position? That was because I'd found an unnecessarily tricky way to do it. The 100% solution combines that idea with the main solution, so it's even trickier.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 04, 2006, 12:34:05 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve link=1102948574/195#203 date=1141428552
[...]
BTW, geoo,  which one level you have left? I'll have to finish the other 30 sometime soon.
'Sometime soon' sounds good. ;)

The only level missing for me is Hopeless 18: 3M; that means between the last time I told you my status I solved Attack Of The Subconscious and Back And Forth.
For the former one I needed a huge amount of tries for some reason, but now knowing the solution I understand that you were surprised that I hadn't solved it at that point. I had thought that the solutions wouldn't be possible because the [highlight]long way miner[/highlight] would be too slow to break through right in time.
For Back and Forth, I was always two builders short until I found a different way. That way I could solve it with two spare builders.

For 3M, I hadn't played it too much because of the lots of building, and now after some more playing I didn't work out a solution yet. Additionally, the time limit seems to be very tight.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 04, 2006, 04:34:51 PM »
For 3M, if I remember correctly, the time limit I selected was exactly 15 seconds more than the part of the level that took the longest to solve when played separately. Because I'm not the most economical with time, you probably have about 20 extra seconds. Which, given that you have to balance 3 rather tedious (again, I apologise for that) parts of the solution with only 20 seconds to mess with, is very, very tight.

When I make the rest of the levels and re-order my sets, 3M will be 4.28. The last level will remain last, and 4.29 is a conceptual level that I haven't gotten to designing yet that WILL, I'm fairly certain, be the hardest to figure out level I've ever made.

Daigoro would be absolutely fine to review next. I think I've gotten most of them except a couple of the trickier ones, and I'm sure with a bit more patience I can get those that I'm missing, which means I can be a reviewer for that pack. Again, I think my pack took so long because I can't review my own levels.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

MC Marshy

« Reply #208 on: March 04, 2006, 05:01:47 PM »
I've played the Custlemm version of a few of your levels Insane Steve and I am really proud to say that you have some nice looking levels  :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2006, 07:55:24 PM »
Quote from: Insane Steve link=1102948574/195#207 date=1141490091
Daigoro would be absolutely fine to review next. I think I've gotten most of them except a couple of the trickier ones, and I'm sure with a bit more patience I can get those that I'm missing, which means I can be a reviewer for that pack.
Excellent!

You shouldn't have any problem with the remaining levels, they're all at least fairly straightforward. Only one I still haven't got is number 16, and I also haven't yet found the 100% solutions on levels 11, 13 or 20. Not that I've spent very much time on them yet, I was in more of a hurry to press on with the next set after I'd solved all of this one.