Author Topic: Cheapo Level List Game  (Read 70504 times)

Offline Isu

• View Profile
Re: Cheapo Level List Game
« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2005, 09:21:58 PM »
IS01: Difficult -- Level 8: Beat the clock

Save 20 of 25
Time: 1:11
Release Rate: 10

Skills: There's 20 of everything

Good: Very tight time limit, you need to find the fastest and most effective way to solve it.

Bad: If it wasn't for the time limit, the level would be a perfect Fun 10, and the scenery is a bit bland.

Time to wait another week before the next level is reviewed ;P

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2005, 11:23:09 PM »
I passed every level in the set last time I played it, but I can't remember how I did level 8  :(

IS01: Difficult -- Level 9: Dream Ledges

Save 100% of 200
Release rate 20
8 minutes 18 seconds

30 builders, 30 bashers

Good: a fun multitasking level, and an exasperating challenge if you want to go for the fewest builders  B)

Bad: the trick pointed at in the hint isn't needed at all. With the release rate so low and so many entrances, each lemming can be finished before the next one from that entrance comes out.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2005, 10:10:39 AM »
IS01: Difficult - Level 10: Orange Crush

Save 1 of 2
Release rate: 99
Time: 3 minutes 10 seconds
Skills: 1 of each

Good: Orange and grey don't look that bad.
Bad: Solution is quite obvious; bomber timing is annoying, as stated in the hint.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2005, 06:07:12 PM »
IS01: Difficult -- Level 11: You Know What You Have To Do

Save 100% of 1
Release rate 1
1 minute

1 floater, 1 builder

Good: a completely different type of level, which introduces some variety. Also, one might think that with this type of level it's hard to make some easier than others, but this one definitely is easier than the other three. And the music is very appropriate for the level (there aren't many levels where you can say that!)
Bad: Not much....... too easy for its position, maybe.
(Though I know the position was needed to keep the theme of 1s going!)

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2005, 08:40:16 PM »
In my IS 1 pack, I only seem to have 10 levels. Please could someone send me an updated version?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2005, 08:49:38 PM »
In the Cheapo level pack topic http://eng-forum.lemmingswelt.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=level_id;action=display;num=1089162351;start=555#555,
reply #563 by Insane Steve, he posted the link to his sets, afaik the latest version.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 13, 2005, 10:26:37 AM »
IS01: Difficult -- Level 12: The Lemming Mental Institution

Save 95% of 100
Release rate: 20
Time: 7 minutes 22 seconds
Skills: 10 bombers, 50 builders, 10 bashers, 10 diggers

Good: The level really looks like a mental institution; the beginning of the music indicates some kind of madness; it's possible to save 100%.
Bad: Due to its size it requires a lot of straight building which can get boring after a while; the 100% route is easier than the one using bombers

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 13, 2005, 11:14:25 AM »
IS01 Level 13: Twin Paradox

Save 98% of 60
Release rate 70
5 minutes 14 seconds

5 builders, 1 of each other

Good: I like the idea of having two versions of the same level right next to each other but with totally different solutions -- gives a quite different feel from the old "one easy version, one hard version" routine.

Bad: the obvious solution is the correct solution.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 13, 2005, 08:39:35 PM »
IS01 Level 14: Twin Paradox (Part 2)

Save 58/60
Release rate 70
5 minutes 14 seconds
Skills: 1 climber, 1 floater, 1 bomber, 1 blocker, 5 builders, 2 bashers

Good: Nice second level showing up indeed a very different solution with a minimal change; it was the last level of I.S.01 Difficult I solved; it took me quite some time to figure out, and also now, I had forgotten the solution and I had to think for some minutes to get it again; after knowing the solution it doesn't seem difficult anymore though.
Bad: The bomber timing maybe; might have been placed a little later, but if it should be in position immediately after the first part, then the first one would have been placed too late I think.
The first part seems to have quite a lot of alternative routes btw.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 15, 2005, 11:45:46 AM »
IS01: Difficult -- Level 15: The Obstacle

Save 100% of 120
Release rate 60
3 minutes 28 seconds
1 of each skill

Good: The different way one-way arrows add spice to what would otherwise be a very easy obstacle to get through.

Bad: It's still way too easy to be worthy of placement so late in the set.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2005, 07:55:47 PM »
Ok, regarding the past comments on my levels (college, ok? I have a very light day today, fortunately)...

Spelling errors on levels 3 and 5 -- I won our school's 2nd and 3rd grade spelling bee. In 5th grade, our spelling words were kindergarden level. No joke (Spell "up". ... Use in sentence. Like, I really wish I were making this up.) and I forgot how to spell. So, ya, words like quandary and persistence are hard for me. I should fix those one of these days.
Save percent on level 6 (5/10, instead of 8/10) -- just a red herring, no more.
Precision in level 7 -- I've had no problems with precision in level 7. I've passed it 4 or 5 times in a row without TOO many problems. Yes, I need all the builders every time, but I don't think I've ever failed the level.
Levels 13 and 14 -- I didn't think 13 was significantly easier than 14, honestly. Easier, definitely. But I don't think the route is THAT obvious. Or maybe it is, I don't know. Yes, I want the levels next to each other, though.
Difficulty of 15 -- Ok, in hindsight, this is a somewhat easy level for middle of the pack. Part of my reasoning is that a lot of the earlier levels are "1 of each" levels, and I didn't want to flood the beginning with them. Then again, all the Lemmings games have a lot of disproportionately easy levels (Taxing 29, anyone?), so... ya.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

JM

« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2005, 08:01:32 PM »
I don't really play on cheapo that much but it would be good to keep this topic alive  :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2006, 01:05:16 AM »
Since no ones posting anything or choosing a pack... do the Ultimate Challenge series next :D
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2006, 01:30:14 PM »
By rule we can't do two or more packs in a row by one author, but we can do one pack from the UC series next if you like -- want to choose which?

And will you help us finish reviewing IS1 so we can get to your pack?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2006, 12:29:34 AM »
Start with UC1, then when it's done, do another pack, then UC2, then another, and so on. :)

And I haven't played for ages so I can't really review anything sorry!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)