Author Topic: Custom Level Remake  (Read 20124 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Re: Custom Level Remake
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 11:45:17 PM »
There's a bit beneath the curved pillar that it looks like lemmings can climb up in the sega version but not in your one, by the way. IIRC, this becomes important for the repeated version of the level.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 12:14:30 AM »
I thought that was the only copy. I should have checked that site carefully. I was gonna put that small hill too but I didn't think it was important.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »
That curved pillar doesn't exist in the PSP, so I made one up.

:o Oh?  Wow, the curved pillars are featured quite a bit in the original versions of the Lemmings levels especially in the decorative parts.  "Lemmings Drops" (Tricky 13) is a particularly notable example.  Now I wonder what they did in the PSP versions.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 01:19:07 AM »
I changed the "Keep Step" level.

:o Oh?  Wow, the curved pillars are featured quite a bit in the original versions of the Lemmings levels especially in the decorative parts.  "Lemmings Drops" (Tricky 13) is a particularly notable example.  Now I wonder what they did in the PSP versions.

The video here shows all the SNES and PSP level differences: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=553.0
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 01:30:53 AM »
That curved pillar doesn't exist in the PSP, so I made one up.

Yeah, as in the video, it's left out. I can't think of any original level where the use of the round pillars is significant or used in the solution.

edit: this is correct: the only other single-player level with them at all is the ascending pillar scenario, and again it's only as part of the scenery. there is a 2-player level that uses them to make floating balls. Other than that, nothing. They get a lot more use in the Genesis version and in people's custom levels.

edit2: compare for yourself. I may have posted these links before – I think the snes one is from that Japanese site, and I made the genesis one myself with the images from planet lemmings or whatever site it was.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15543016/lem/lemgen.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15543016/lem/sneslevels.png

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 06:56:45 AM »
I have to be more careful when remaking these levels, because when you go to user levels in the PSP Lemmings, you'll see a list of files, which is like a levelpak in Lemedit/Lemmix, because each of them can only hold 10 levels. Now this is where the problem is. If you're gonna remake a real level, you need to make sure to see if it has a harder version. If it does, did you need to put both the easy and harder version in the same file. That way you can duplicate the easy version into an empty level and change the skills from there. You can't copy and paste the easy version into another file. You'll have to build the level all over again, if you're gonna put it in another file/levelpak.

I just saw there's a repeat of "Tea Time in the ball country". I'm gonna have to delete Suicidal Tendencies and put it on my other memory stick. Lucky, there's five empty levels in the file where "Under Construction" is, so I can copy and paste that level and change the skills or the number of Lemmings that needs to be saved from there.

Lemmings PSP Don't Leave My Lemmings

Lemmings PSP: Precarious Oasis

Lemmings PSP: Fix the road quick

I don't think build this level right. A Lemming can reach the high stairs with only three builders, but I did placed the terrains the same way as close as possible by looking at the picture of the original version. If I move the terrains on the left to make it need four stairs, the level wouldn't look the same. I wanted to fix it, but I figured it will be time consuming figuring it out, without building the whole level again.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2011, 08:14:14 AM »
Nice work on my level!!!

I'll now state the question I always do... any chance of Oblivion working on PSP/PS2?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2011, 08:24:04 PM »
I'll now state the question I always do... any chance of Oblivion working on PSP/PS2?

Never. There's always levels to be made, and the editor can give a game infinite replay value, but that all comes down to how many ideas you have left.

Lemmings PSP: Let's go to the moon!

Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 02:08:35 AM »
Huh?

You know Oblivion's the name of one of my levels, right... (one of my oldest and favorite designs, to be precise)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 02:17:18 AM »
I had a quick look at it, and I doubt it'll be easy if it is indeed possible, because you can't erase things on the PS2/PSP editor – so I don't know if it's possible to make so many staircases so steep. I'm also wondering how to complete it (with a vague idea) but not masochistic enough to bother trying right at the minute...

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2011, 03:08:15 AM »
Huh?

You know Oblivion's the name of one of my levels, right... (one of my oldest and favorite designs, to be precise)

I thought you meant the actual Oblivion word. :P I can't seem to open the Oblivion level in Lemmix. It gives me this error: TDosOrigStyle.FindGraphicSet 5 not found. Perfectionism does the same thing. All the other levels in the pack opens up.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 01:03:30 PM »
Lemmix is a bit awkward sometimes – you have to pre-empt what style the level will be in. In this case, it's "Custom Lemmings". Right-click on the dat-file viewer and pick "change viewer style".

if it still gives an error, you're missing the graphic set, which you have to copy over from ONML and renumber.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »
It's working now. I don't get how are you suppose to turn all the Lemmings around with the second blocker without some of them going through him, while he's on the stairs.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2011, 02:04:07 AM »
Below is a spoiler on what the intended solution is so you can move on with figuring out whether it can really be remade for PSP:

Quote from: spoiler (highlight to read)
The idea is that all but one lemming has to be all assigned blockers on ground level.  The leader will trailblaze a path and then later bash to free all the blocker lemmings.  The awkward-looking staircases are suppose to prevent normal solutions of keeping everyone trapped between 2 blockers, the idea being that the staircase is too steep for a blocker to block the lemmings walking up the slope.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2011, 02:21:23 AM »
The "Let's go to the moon!" remake is interesting as a case where better graphics kinda detracted from the original.  The problem being that the PSP versions of the "stars" and the "moon" are somewhat less visually convincing as stars and moon.  Still, functionally it's a perfectly fine remake.