Author Topic: Re-add fast level selection by rank+level number [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER]  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Please re-add a way to select levels by typing in the rank and level number as it was possible in V1.43. The current system is very nice if you just want to play a pack, but it is a lot slower than just typing in four digits.

Let's compare a few ways to select level 8 of rank 5:
a) If you do all the selection in the level selection menu, you first have to press the "next rank" hotkey four times. But these key presses have to be spaced apart by ~1second due to the fading period between the rank pages. Then one has to press 7 times the "next level" key. Because one can easily miscount the key presses, one always has to check whether one really has selected the correct level.
b) A little bit faster is selecting the rank from the main menu: One still has to press 11 arrow keys, but at least one doesn't have to wait for the fading. But selecting the rank in the main menu and the level in the level selection menu is kind of an unnatural workflow. I always forget that this is the faster method when I want to select a new level.
Compared to that, entering 4 digits is a lot faster and much less error-prone.

Online Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Re-add fast level selection by rank+level number [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER]
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »
I'm not sure if it was done automatically or done manually in certain packs, but IIRC you could also type the rank name + number, which was useful when trying to get talismans.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 07:05:05 PM »
I second the typing in four digits to get to a level and agree with all of Nepster's points, this is what I have always done to get to levels I want to reach before the update, while going through the level select screen is slower and takes a lot more presses.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 07:34:48 PM »
Okay, I'll bring back the old "enter code" menu in the next update (in addition to, not instead of, the level select screen).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 02:02:38 AM »
Re-added for next update. It's accessible via pressing F8 on the main menu; there is no visual indicator of this currently.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)