Author Topic: Quirks in Lemmings levels  (Read 6959 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Quirks in Lemmings levels
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 09:18:15 AM »
Here's another one that I forgot about earlier:

Flurry 6 - there are no steel objects. And unlike Hail 7, it really makes a difference in this case.

And I just noticed that the steel terrain doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the screen either, but the surrounding terrain does.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 10:39:41 AM »
That's the key to beating it in the single-skill-type challenge using bashers. :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 10:52:34 AM »
And the 2-skills solution. :P
And one of each.  :P :P

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »
There are some levels with terrain outside the level boundaries.

The following black stripes are actually thumbnails and link to the full picture. I used an image hoster, you have to click "continue" after following the link. <_<; Scroll all the way to the right.

X marks the spot:
No Problem:
On the antarctic cost: Has this as well, but I didn't make a picture.

I made the terrain visible in those pictures, but the pieces probably have the draw-subtractive (dark) bit set for them. If I exclude dark pieces from determining the level's true level horizontal span, the level area ends correctly to the right of the last terrain piece of the mainland.

Edit: I suspect that the terrain at the very right actually belongs to the left border, and the place where you can see it right now is where the integer value for x-pos wraps around. The terrain would make sense if you placed it at the left. However, not even the original games interpret this terrain as being on the left side.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »
Cool. :D If you find any more of this sort of thing, be sure to post it in this thread over here. I found some similarly useless stuff in the original Lemmings levels while playing around in Lemmix.
On ClamSpammer's note in the Lemmings 2 thread, even though I know this was not aimed at me; but I guess I might re-post my Lemmings 2 findings as they are easily overlooked considering the place they were originally posted (an unrelated thread in the Help section), so it might still be new to some.

(@GuyPerfect: contains spoilers, as I think you want to work out everything independently, though I guess soon your discoveries will surpass my old progress anyway. In particular I'd be interested in the L2OB definition format, which I only partly worked out. It seems like it could be possible to define ones own objects, or at least reactivate the unused ones.)

This is the original thread: http://henriwatson.com/lemmings/index.php?topic=196.15

Images of the 16x8 pieces: http://207.58.177.175/~geoo89/lemmings/l2gfx.zip
Images of the tiles: http://207.58.177.175/~geoo89/lemmings/l2tiles.zip
Interestingly enough, there's some unused stuff in the classic tribe, for one some larger blocks/planks derived from the Lemmings 1 Classic style, but also a re-color of a piece from the pink set.
The Sports set has a bowling ball, and I think the unicycle in the Circus set is also unused.

Images of the objects: http://207.58.177.175/~geoo89/lemmings/l2obj.zip
Again, it seems that it was initially intended to include more stuff from other styles (not just the fireblowers), as there's also the rock trap and the 10 ton trap included in the object animations.
The highland set seems to contain a fake exit, a telephone booth which gets surrounded by electricity and then appears into the ground.
I don't remember seeing that lemming eating flower in the Outdoor tribe anywhere either.

Images of the special objects: http://207.58.177.175/~geoo89/lemmings/l2ss.zip
The only notable thing there is this:

Also, it seems pretty common to have unused tiles beyond the boundaries and hidden by objects in the levels.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 12:12:06 PM »
Found a piece of water off the screen on Fun 26 / Mayhem 13. Pic attached.

Plus something I noticed some time ago but never mentioned: Fun 3 has a bunch of spare terrain pieces to the left of the main area.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 02:09:57 PM »
I also found a few years ago that in Fun 29/Mayhem 9 that there are many black pieces floating in the air over the entrance. Good job that doesn't affect the solution in any way. :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »
It looks like they put a couple of terrain pieces out there so they could copy and paste them into the level. Why they covered them with eraser blocks afterward instead of just deleting them, I don't know - maybe just in case they wanted to change things at the last moment? Seems to be a common theme though.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »
Found this while making the reverse Holiday levels: Frost 7 and 14 (the two 'Happy New Year!' levels) have objects that aren't placed at multiples of 8. It seems the developers finally realised that you don't have to line everything up with the grid :D