Author Topic: Oh No! More Lemmings - Level Reviews  (Read 52029 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Oh No! More Lemmings - Level Reviews
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2009, 08:23:52 AM »
Crazy 4 - Lemming Express

Lemmings: 20
Save: 20 (100%)
RR: 99
Time: 3 minutes
Skills: 1 climber, 1 floater, 10 builders

Good: Looks nice... and that's about it.

Bad: So... much... walking...... :( And the red herring of the upper route (climbing up to the top and building over all the little gaps) is so far short of working that it's too easy to rule it out as a possible solution. If they made it so it just fails, then it might have been more convincing. (And they probably would have missed something which would make such a solution possible... but hey, that might not necessarily be a bad thing)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2009, 06:41:06 PM »
Crazy 3 - Many lemmings make level work

50 lemmings
Save 96% (48)
Release rate 80
4 minutes

5 bombers, 2 builders

Good: I suppose a bomber-timing level is inevitable (hey, I include them in my sets as well!) so let's get it out of the way. Excellent title, with a nice pun on a familiar proverb. Nice introduction to the device of using builders as delays (and tests your foresight in that you have to use the second builder at the bottom of the staircase).
Bad: Terrain is barren compared to the Genesis version of the level. Third brick level in a row -- a portent of the massive overuse of this style to come in future levels.

I've beat that level WITHOUT the builders.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2009, 08:42:16 PM »
Will someone review Crazy 5, "24 hour Lemathon" please? I reviewed the equivalent level in Genesis Lemmings, so it's probably best that I don't do this one as well :-\

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2009, 12:42:54 AM »
I've beat that level WITHOUT the builders.

Yup, I'm aware that it's possible, though I suspect most players won't find it on their first pass, so my point still stands.

Crazy 5 - 24 hour Lemathon

80 lemmings
Save 100%
Release rate 1
4 minutes

20 builders, 1 digger

Good: Finally, a nice satisfying level that feels about the right difficult for early Crazy. The 100% requirement makes it non-trivial but it's still not too tough, and fun to play.
Bad: As noted by Clam Spammer in the Genesis topic (I confess I hadn't noticed this before) the level can be passed too easily by digging a pit just under the trapdoor.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2009, 10:15:22 AM »
Crazy 6 - The Stack

RR: 1
Skills: 2 climber, 5 builders, 2 diggers

Good: Simple-looking design, and a neat solution. Forces you to be careful not to waste anything - skills or lemmings. And I just noticed this is the sixth consecutive level with no bashers.

Bad: Digging down the pillar takes too long. Decorative terrain is lacking, and the brown terrain below the exit looks odd.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2009, 11:06:13 AM »
Crazy 7: And now, the end is near...

Save 50/50, RR 1
3 minutes
2 climbers, 1 floater, 5 blockers, 4 builders, 1 basher

Good: A level that looks quite easy... until you see what skills you have to get the lemmings out of the situation! Quite a clever bashing trick.

Bad: Too hard for its position (this is the 2nd hardest Crazy level behind the infamous 10th level imo), and pixel precision is annoying for this early.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
Yup, I well remember it taking me a very long time to figure that one out, though it looks so simple when you know the trick. A level that long remains in the memory. (Though I would rank the one I'm about to review as being up there with this and Level 10 as well.)

Crazy 8 - KEEP ON TRUCKING

80 lemmings
Save 93% (75)
Release rate 1
4 minutes

1 bomber, 4 blockers, 7 builders, 3 bashers, 3 miners, 1 digger

Good: Interesting and intimidating terrain that makes you consider different approaches and how to make the best use of your small complement of builders.
Bad: The impossibility of the lower route is a bit too obvious (though it's all too likely that were it not so, the designers would have inadvertently left in a backroute using that way :P ) and, again, too hard for its position.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2009, 08:13:59 AM »
*bump*

Crazy 9 - On the Antarctic Coast

RR: 50
Skills: 5 of each

Good: The terrain throws up a couple of difficulties that could catch you out, like the ramp up the left side into the water. Good variety of solutions with all skills available, but a reasonable time constraint and 100% requirement to keep you honest. And, unlike every other snow level ever, the traps aren't completely hidden...

Bad: Length is a tad excessive. Would be nice to have less than 100% required so that the bombers could come into play.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2009, 01:29:03 AM »
Crazy 10 - ROCKY VI
Lemmings: 80
Save: 98% (79 lemmings)
RR: 1
Skills: 1, 1, 1, 1, 8, 1, 0, 0

Good: The level gives a good puzzle without being too challenging, and is very fun to play.
Bad: Nothing about the level itself, but, it's difficulty is SO overrated!!!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2009, 02:07:11 AM »
Bad: Nothing about the level itself, but, it's difficulty is SO overrated!!!
Considering that your view is clearly in a minority here, I feel you could have expressed it more tactfully.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2009, 06:28:12 AM »
...In a topic which is entirely based around opinion, is it really nessecary to add IMO at the end of an obvious opinion?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2009, 06:35:43 AM »
Crazy 11 - No Problemming!

Lemmings: 80
Save: 10% (8 lemmings)
Time: 1 minute
Release Rate: 1
Skills: 10 floaters, 20 builders

Good: An innovative tactic unique to all the other levels in ONML.
Bad: I don't get this one at all. ??? It's too cheap, which is: either too easy or impossible.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2009, 08:49:18 PM »
Hey, give them some credit for their huge effort in decorating the level ;)

And on that note, we still need pics for this thread. I'm willing to help with these.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2009, 10:52:11 PM »
...In a topic which is entirely based around opinion, is it really nessecary to add IMO at the end of an obvious opinion?

Sorry, didn't mean to snap, I've had a bad week. Anyway, you can read my opinions on the equivalent Genesis level here.

Crazy 12 - Lemming Friendly

80 lemmings
Save 93% (75)
Release rate 1
3 minutes

7 bombers, 4 blockers, 4 builders, 6 bashers

Good: Requires some care to build to the last pillar, bash it and immediately build.
Bad: Other than that, the level is utterly trivial -- easiest level in the set so far apart from Level 11. Arbitrary assortment of skills, could have been tightened up.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »
Good news everyone!

We have pics. Just Crazy at this point, but the rest should be up before long. Everyone who has done a review since the end of Tame, can you please add these pics.

EDIT: Hold off for the moment - I've noticed a couple of issues... Fixed. Go ahead and add them now :)

Crazy 13 - It's a trade off

Save: 10 (50%)
Release rate: 1
Skills: 1 climber, 1 floater, 2 builders, 3 miners, 1 digger

Good: Neat concept of a "trade off" between mining time and walking time, and it's not obvious which path is best.
Bad: Which path you choose doesn't make a whole lot of difference - you can choose the slowest one and still make it through with 100%. Percentage requirement is perhaps a little too low. Plus there's that backroute where you can just mine through from the left side.