Lix > Lix Main

Stop maps from crashing (OutOfMemoryError)

(1/5) > >>

Forestidia86:
I've tried to force it in singleplayer (map: "What could possibly go wrong? (3p)") and got the OutOfMemoryError.
But even with debug build it only gives a very short message. (Probably not different from release build?) I've just attached it for completeness. (Old laptop, Win 7, 4 GB RAM, ca. 1,7 GB for graphics (shared memory, only 64MB dedicated on graphics card))
The taskmanager said that I've used approx 3 out of 4 GB available for me. (Lix ate up about 1,8 GB at this point. That is really much for this kind of game though not generally. But my laptop uses shared memory, so that graphics memory is to a big part handled via RAM as well.)

I will try to run against Allegro debug libraries but can't promise anything

Simon:
Thanks for forcing this. It's uncanny how Lix uses 1.8 GB on Windows.

After the a couple crashes in yesterday's mulitplayer session, I openend top (command-line program) and watched memory throughout the remaining 2 hours of the session. Lix used 2.x % of my 16 GB, never any more than 3 % = 480 MB.

That's still more than I thought, but not exceedingly much. Will look into it.

D is garbage-collected and I force collections every couple seconds. I could force them even more aggressively, and migrate more of the fundamental data to reference counting.

-- Simon

Forestidia86:
I've tried it with Allegro debug libraries but the crash seems to come from Lix not Allegro, at least I got the Lix crash message and not the MVC++-RTL message. The allegro.log gets huge very fast (in about 30 min about 800 MB(!)).

Simon:
Very good, then I call reasonable libraries and am merely greedy myself.

-- Simon

Forestidia86:
I've created an allegro.log for just opening a big map, letting Lix spawn, doing some actions and changing to a big map and wait a bit there. There was no crash, but it shows the inner workings of the handling Allegro does. The file is about 9 MB big, shall I provide it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version