Author Topic: So, about Lemmings Touch...  (Read 6115 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
So, about Lemmings Touch...
« on: July 10, 2015, 05:16:31 AM »
To anyone here who's played it, what's your opinions on it? I'm going to be getting a PS Vita soon, so I'll probably grab a copy of it, unless it's really worth skipping...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: So, about Lemmings Touch...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 07:36:51 AM »
Prob Lem made a pretty in-depth review (with multiple screenshots even!) here, quite soon after the game was released.  Her overall impression appears to be fairly positive.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 07:56:27 AM »
I see, thanks for that! Since I'll be getting my Vita probably within the hour, but won't have the spare cash to grab the Vita copy of FFX:HD until tomorrow at least, I'll probably be grabbing Lemmings Touch later tonight (since I do have enough for that). Then I can let you know how I myself feel about it! :P

Although currently, my Lemmings playing is mostly focused on Lemmings Reunion, with some focus on creating the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:13:35 AM »
So, I got it. While the gameplay does feel a bit weird - as does this kind of graphics quality for Lemmings in general - it's not bad. Some of the object types feel a bit L2-ish; I'm not personally a fan of anything other than the lemmings being controlled by the player (since I've primarily played L1 / L1 clones and L3D), but I'm sure I'll get used to it. So far I've completed the tutorial and the first 5 levels of Easy, all with 5 stars (I did get only 4 stars on Origins and Lemmings on my first attempt, but I quickly rectified that mistake).
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 11:43:36 PM »
I should add that I looked further into the review thread today.  It seems that towards the later portion of the game, you may start getting levels where, to quote, "these touch controls totally ruins the game in some cases".  Just a heads-up.

The other common complain on that thread was that too many levels were copied from the older PSP version of the game, but I'm guessing that issue won't apply to you at least.

It saddens me to post this but...

I probably have around 20 levels left to complete now. The reason they aren't complete yet is because some of the levels are so insanely boring and tedious that I can't bring myself to finish them for the moment. These touch controls totally ruins the game in some cases. Either the game's expecting you to fine adjust around 5-15 canons/trampolines for perfect accuracy (something that the touch control can't give anyone mind you) and if only a few lemmings on the level can die your only choice is to go with some crazy luck on some of the stages since you have no clue on where the canons are shooting you. Either that, or the solution on the levels requires you to go around bugs like the stopper on tilting landscape, tedious multitasking that can get out of hand because you can't grab a platform since the controls won't let you.

Out of all the levels in this game the best ones are definitely the classic ones. When there are no objects to interact with the game is quite fun and I really enjoy most of the stages that plays like classic Lemmings. There are some new stages as well that make good use of the touch based puzzles, but there are way too many levels that shares the enjoyment level of working at a work you don't enjoy. Without payment.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
So, after ages of leaving it untouched (tehehe) on my PSVita, I finally played it some more today. I've completed (3 stars on every level; no idea what I was talking about with 5 stars before... 3 is the max xD) up to Tricky... 8, IIRC, so far.

So far, it's pretty simple, but that's to be expected. However, I stand by what I said about the interactable objects, such as trampolines, moving platforms, etc. Having to control them is a bit strange. Having to control them, without being able to move them while the game is paused, and having no rewind (or even replay) function, is a recipe for disaster, or at least for very annoying levels. So far, the levels that stick to the classic mechanics (even if they're new levels) have been the most enjoyable, though I haven't encountered any non-tutorial levels with the mischevious lemmings yet; I suspect I'll like them a fair bit more.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 12:26:59 AM »
[I have not played it]
It sounds like while the new ideas for game features they had were interesting they weren't well executed.  Which is a shame because I rather like the sound of some of them; trampolines, cannons. Hell, Lix has trampolines that work pretty well. Though, I have yet to experiment with them very much, not sure why but they never held a whole lot of interest to me.

I like the graphics fairly well. The tileset ideas are nice; candy, space... However, I don't like overly colorful and complex background images. I've stated and others have before how that can be very distracting to the play field. It looks to me like the space background isn't too bad, but the candy one I don't like--too bright.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 01:20:24 AM »
The problem with the trampolines is that you can adjust the angle (but not while the game is paused)... and there are (virtually) infinite degrees of precision with this, on top of it being affected by how far the lemming falls onto them. Compare this to L3D's trampolines, which are only affected by the distance of the fall onto them; they don't have alterable angles. I didn't really have any problem with those, as even if you don't know right away where the lemming will land, you try them once and you know. You don't have to try and adjust it to the perfect angle while dropping from the perfect height.

Likewise, the movable platforms tend to come down to (at least so far) "pack lemmings on it as tightly as possible, then SLAM it across to the other side before any walk off the other end". In some cases blockers are an option; in other cases you have to compress the lemmings before they get on (and move it very quickly).

This is why I'm not really a fan of anything, other than the lemmings themself, that the player controls directly. Of course, it may just be that Touch hasn't made good use of them. But we'll see once I get further. From what I can see, each new rank is not only harder than the last, but also longer - an interesting concept IMO.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »
I got this game shortly after release and I was (according to TrueTrophies) the 5th person to complete the trophy list for this game.

I enjoyed this game a lot and I'm now revisiting this game and trying to complete it for a second time. I really like the Space and Candy graphic sets. The evil lemmings are a nice addition and I feel they didn't overuse this nor underuse this feature, it gave the underused bombers task a much more prominent part in this game.

I recently revisited the PS3 downloadable version of Lemmings and did a Let's Play for my Youtube channel which is the entry before this game (the one with only 45 levels and you collect the tasks in levels), and I felt that there wasn't much added to Lemmings in that game. They only had the task collecting, the clone machine (which were in Lemmings Paintball!), teleport pads (which were in 3D Lemmings!) and the (annoying!) dark levels which needs to be lit up by your lemmings.

When I compare this PS3 Lemmings to Lemmings Touch, I feel like Lemmings Touch is by far the superior game. The game adds touch controls, evil lemmings, computer controlled switches, movable platforms/objects, star rating system and trampolines.
The levels with evil lemmings in adds a whole new strategy element to the game, it essentially gives you free Blockers and Bomber sacrifice lemmings.
Personally I find the trampoline levels annoying but they are still good additions, it also depends on where your lemmings land on the trampoline aswell as the trajectory so it's a very complicated mechanism.
The star rating system is a nice addition also, it essentially adds some replay value to the game if you're not getting 3 stars immediately.

The hard rating levels were very challenging aswell, I do agree with the fact that the touch controls are not particularly helpful in the harder more precision based levels. I don't remember the hard levels very well, I don't think any levels stand out as ridiculously hard from what I remember.
Don't understand why Fun, Tricky and Taxing stayed in this game yet Mayhem was renamed to Hard.

The newer music tracks in this game are very catchy aswell, especially the Candy and Space ones. I really wish I could download these tracks!

I'd recommend the game although it's hard to justify buying a Vita just for this game. If you still haven't played the PSP version of Lemmings, you can purchase a downloadable version on Vita.
Luckily I bought a Vita for FFX remaster (wanted a handheld version), and this game came out shortly after which was a bonus.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 06:32:10 AM »
Don't understand why Fun, Tricky and Taxing stayed in this game yet Mayhem was renamed to Hard.
Fun was also renamed to "Easy".

Luckily I bought a Vita for FFX remaster (wanted a handheld version), and this game came out shortly after which was a bonus.
Interesting coincidence; I also bought my Vita for the same primary reason! Although it was much more recent; and I actually ended up getting Lemmings Touch first.

At the moment I haven't played it in a while, as I'm getting fairly frustrated with the objects that require direct manipulation (combined with me insisting on playing the levels in order). I'll get back to it eventually though...
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 08:16:56 AM »
Interesting coincidence; I also bought my Vita for the same primary reason! Although it was much more recent; and I actually ended up getting Lemmings Touch first.

Wow, that is an odd coincidence then again it is easily one of the best games on Vita. I just thought to myself that if I had FFX on the go then I'd be more inclined to play it and grind it whereas if I'm sat at home, I'm more likely to play Lemmings or play on my Wii U.
It doesn't even bother me that X-2 isn't on the cartridge and is available via digital download code because I probably will never play that game anyway!

Can't believe I forgot about Fun being renamed to Easy...oops.

I refuse to play the levels out of order aswell, I was like that on the PSP version of Lemmings. I'm like that on the PS3 downloadable Lemmings and Lemmings Touch was no different.

I think they did that so that people didn't hit brick walls and put down and never play the game again. Let's face it, a lot of gamers these days have lower attention spans than the gamers who played Lemmings back in the 90s. I like that the option to skip levels is there but I'd personally never do it, the idea of getting stuck on a level is part of playing Lemmings in my opinion.

Got stuck on Postcard from Lemmingland, Feel the Heat, Triple Trouble, The Ascending Pillar Scenario, Down Along Up in that Order, Just A Minute and Save Me back in the day, but they stuck in my head when I wasn't playing the game and I was eventually able to solve them and because of that, I remember those levels!

By the way while we're on the subject of being stuck on levels, really enjoying your playthrough of Lemmings Reunion on Youtube at the moment namida, thanks for making those videos :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 08:27:34 AM »
It doesn't even bother me that X-2 isn't on the cartridge and is available via digital download code because I probably will never play that game anyway!

I bought digital anyway, so this bothers me even less. But I do like X-2; if you can look past the cheesy storyline, it has amazing gameplay! I would highly recommend giving it a shot. Even if you've played it before on PS2, since the HD Remaster adds a *lot* of new content.

Main reason I got it was so that I can do my monster capturing on the go... in a regular playthrough sure, I'd just sit down and do it, but when doing a NSGNSNCNONENNENBB challenge run where one wrong move, or even just a single incident of bad luck in the later areas (especially Omega Ruins), can lead to a game over... sometimes you really need an "I have nothing else to do" motivation to get it done, yeah?
My Lemmings projects