Author Topic: [OLD] Player Bugs / Suggestions  (Read 122461 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Player Bugs / Suggestions
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
yes, there are 7 ranks total. It seems to work fine 1-5. This is for the Flexipack I'm making.

Maybe this is what's causing my problem with creating the levelpack. When I try to build the exe for FlexiLemmix is works but when I open the program it says list index out of bounds 3.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2015, 01:18:26 PM »
That'd suggest it's trying to access the 4th item in a set of something that has 3 (or less, though it'd likely try to access #3 first and thus say "list index out of bounds 2" instead) items in it. Most likely suspects are MAIN.DAT or ranks. Just to be sure - you say it only causes this error if you have a secret level trigger somewhere that points to rank 6 or higher? This seems kind of strange, as it doesn't even check what level secret triggers point to until the level itself is loaded, and doesn't try to load the level itself until it's reached.

If you don't mind, could you PM me a ZIP of your project? (If you're having issues uploading here, feel free to use Dropbox or something like that.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2015, 03:00:52 PM »
I have noticed a minor problem across all the neolemmix players - sometimes when finishing a level, I get a black screen instead of the results screen.  When I click to continue I see a brief flash of the results screen before the next level intro screen loads.  I have also seen this behavior when accessing the options or talismans screens.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #198 on: July 19, 2015, 08:43:20 PM »
That'd suggest a problem with the fade in / fade out code, which hasn't been changed from the default in Lemmix. How often does it happen, and have you noticed any patterns in what might be triggering it?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 19, 2015, 10:48:38 PM »
Looks like I've found a climber-stacker-interaction glitch. Here's a test level and the provided replay for it.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2015, 01:27:51 AM »
When the fade glitch occurs, it seems to happen every 4 or 5 levels while playing for a while.  I thought level length could be a cause but I have seen it pop up after short levels with a couple of skill assignments or after a long level with many tasks.

But I can just start up a game and hit F3 and page back and forth between the two settings panels and the glitch seems to crop up once every 5 times I switch between the two pages.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2015, 02:49:42 AM »
Can I ask - when this happens on the config menu, what happens if you push one of the buttons to change an option? (A) Is the option actually changed, and (B) Does the screen fix itself at this point?

Does it happen equally on all players, or are there some where it happens more often than others?

Later on (might not be today), I'll create and send you a modified version of the player that disables the fade in / fade out, so you can tell me if you still get the issue even with the fade disabled. This won't look as good, but adding an option to disable the fades might be an acceptable workaround; the next update will likely be the last one before the GUI gets completely rewritten anyway so no point in implementing a solid fix (unless it turns out to be very easily done).

Also, if anyone else has encountered this issue, let me know.

EDIT: I'll also ask, just in case - what version of Windows are you running on, or are you running it on Linux under WINE?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:58:01 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #202 on: July 21, 2015, 04:35:05 AM »
From taking a look at exactly how the fades are written, it'd seem extremely unlikely that disabling them would make a difference.

Can you let me know what happens in regards to the option changes? Also - if you change several options, do you eventually encounter a case where the updated option selection isn't immediately displayed? (This will help me narrow down what exactly might be causing the bug, as some - but not all - of the code for drawing these screens, is also used in updating it when an option is changed.)

Aside from fixing this bug, I think everything that needs to be fixed for V1.35n-C has been fixed. Unless there's any major glitches that have gone undetected, it'll be the final proper update before V2.00n; minor updates are possible if they relate to adding new features that I specifically want to use in my packs, so that I can also release players that support these features (so other people can also use them).

EDIT: Eh no, I somehow missed DynaLem's bug report about climber-stacker. Gonna look at that now.
EDIT: Okay, that's nothing to do with the stacker; the exact same thing would happen if it was already-present terrain. Rather, it's a climber - vertical wrap gimmick interaction glitch. Will fix. :)

So, at this point, I'll ask one last time (just in case) - if there's any bugs (not suggestions / changes) you've reported but were missed, or noticed but haven't reported, let me know now. Otherwise, there might be quite a long wait for them to get fixed.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:24:51 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 21, 2015, 06:36:15 PM »
I'm running Windows 8.1.  When in the options menu, making a change while the screen is black does update the option selected and causes the screen to display properly.  As long as I don't change screens, once it displays properly I can make as many changes as I want without any problems.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2015, 02:39:55 PM »
This one is worth fixing:

Currently known low-priority bugs:
> When cheat mode is used to access non-existant secret levels in NeoCustLemmix, they act like clones of the first levels of each rank

YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2015, 04:08:14 AM »
There's a few reasons I haven't bothered to fix that one yet:
- it's actually a lot more difficult to fix than it may seem; any fix would either require a *lot* of work for a relatively minor bug, or potentially cause significant slowdown while loading levels
- it's relatively minor; you rarely need Cheat Mode in NeoCustLemmix anyway
- it'll go away with V2.00n anyway, since the parts of the code that are responsible for that issue are included in what will be rewritten
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2015, 09:23:46 PM »
back to fitting more info in the info bar:

ironically Windows versions of Lemmings is a good example; Have the Total Lemmings/requirement display in the spot where the lemming indicator (walker, faller, builder) is when it is empty. in other words, while the mouse is not hovering over a lemming that spot is usually empty.
You could even have more info displayed here in this fashion.
Or another idea I just had: display certain things when mousing over. For example; display total lemming count when hovering over an entrance, and requirement when hovering over the exit.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »
I've been reading about the new features. (I plan to use them in my new pack).

about the clock gimmick:

this sounds really interesting but is there any way to have this work a little more player friendly? Like, instead of working based on the real time clock, work on an in-game timer that begins when the level starts, it could be based off the actual game clock.
As it is this is more of a just prank type of thing without any real puzzle effect [that is If I am understanding the instructions correctly].

on the rising water:

is it possible to lower the water as well or do both in one level?

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #208 on: August 03, 2015, 03:38:02 AM »
Are you meaning as in actually have terrain appear mid-gameplay? This currently doesn't happen - if, say, the level had terrain appear between 12:30 and 12:40, if you started playing at 12:29, and were still playing at 12:30, the terrain wouldn't suddenly appear - but if you restarted the level (even just by pressing R) at this point, it would appear.

As for the rising water, currently there's no support for sinking water. It'd take some pretty major overhauling of how it works to implement this; I could look at it for V2.00n.

By the way - I discovered some oddities with the trigger areas of pickup skills in virtually every graphic set (apart from the LPIV ones). Specifically, the trigger area is shifted one pixel right from where it should be, and in the case of the LPII sets and one or two of the official sets, it's also one pixel taller than it should be. These things will be fixed in the next update. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #209 on: August 03, 2015, 04:19:05 AM »
From now on, please only report major bugs - ie: something completely doesn't work.

This means - if you find, for example, "when I play two special graphics levels in a row, the second one always crashes", definitely report that.
Even if it's not quite this major - for example, "when I play a level with two entrances, then one with three entrances, one entrance doesn't work on the latter", it could still be worth reporting.

However, if it's obscure and not major, it's not going to get a V1.35n-D update to fix it, eg. "If I interrupt a builder by assigning a basher to him, and he's also a climber, floater and swimmer, and the Invert Fall Fatality gimmick is on, an "Oh No" sound plays instead of the normal skill assign sound" is not going to get fixed. (This is not an actual bug, just an exaggerated example.)
My Lemmings projects