Author Topic: [OLD] Player Bugs / Suggestions  (Read 122467 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Player Bugs / Suggestions
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2015, 10:16:46 AM »
I just realised that I overlooked something when upgrading the level format. While level sizes and piece coordinates are now 4-byte values... the screen start positions are still 2-byte values. >_> This would mean that while you could have a level far more than 65535 pixels wide and/or tall, the screen start position can't be further than that...

It's not an overly urgent issue - certianly at the current resolution there's little need for a level anywhere NEAR that size - so I'll most likely not worry about fixing this until other updates to the level format also need to be made.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2015, 10:12:53 PM »
I downloaded the latest editor. When I tried to playtest with my older Custlem it loaded but was weird (the screen was black and the game ended immediately). So I downloaded the latest custlem version but now it won't open at all. With:
"shellexecute fout 5"

bear with me, I'm tired and busy right now and may be getting all the versions mixed up. :XD:

-note: for the time being I'm using an older version (V1.31n-C) of the editor just because, well for this reason and because of the RR issue (which I haven't been able to experience yet). But will this be an issue if I eventually use a newer version or convert levels later?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2015, 11:28:07 PM »
DynaLem mentioned a while back that he was able to fix this error when playtesting with the following steps:
1. Run your copy of NeoCustLemmix (the one in the editor folder) *directly*, not through the editor
2. If a dialog box pops up warning you "this file was downloaded from the internet", uncheck "Always show this warning for this program"
3. Click "Run"
4. Close NeoCustLemmix, and it'll now work

I'm not sure which release rate issue you mean - the one where the release rate doesn't display properly, or the one where it's out-of-sync in replays / backwards frameskips. However, both of these are fixed in V1.33n-B of the player. But, NeoLemmix levels made with V1.33n or newer of the editor will only play (including in playtest mode) in V1.33n or newer of the player, this is because the level format was changed to allow unlimited terrain pieces / objects / steel areas instead of limiting them to 1000 / 128 / 128 respectively.

Current newest version of both is V1.33n-B; the only bug I'm currently aware of in this player version is an extremely minor cosmetic one (the one relating to pre-placed cloners not being taken into account when calculating cloner-adjusted percentages), and is not new to this release but has been this way for as long as cloner-adjusted percentages have existed, just never noticed until now.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2015, 01:52:42 AM »
oh that's right. I read that and totally forgot about it. That fixed it fine. :)

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »
Two glitches:

1. In NeoCustLemmix, if Cheat Mode (to unlock all levels) is active, and there are no levels that fill in the five slots for secret levels, if you go to Level 3 of any rank, it will basically be a copy of Level 1 of each rank.

2. It seems that the Splat/Antisplat pads don't work; I've attached a level and the corresponding style.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
1. Not a huge detail, but I will try to get around to fixing it.

2. I'll look into that. I've used them myself in one of the LPIV styles and they definitely work fine there, so I'll see if I can notice anything unusual with that graphic set or level.
EDIT: The trigger area for them needs to overlap the ground the lemmings land on. See attached modified version of your test level.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2015, 12:37:23 PM »
EDIT: The trigger area for them needs to overlap the ground the lemmings land on. See attached modified version of your test level.

Thanks, it works now! This should be noted in the NeoLemmix Quick Guide.

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »
Done. I also made a note about a subtle detail of the mechanics of Floater/Glider - Splatpad interaction.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »
I'm not sure where to suggest this, but shouldn't there also be a guide on the "Anti-Blocker Field" in the NeoLemmix Quick Guide (even if no graphic sets use them at all)?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2015, 03:09:46 PM »
There probably should be, now that it's quite easy for someone to make a graphic set containing one (or add one to an existing graphic set) with the graphic set tool. I'll first confirm they work properly (current support is pretty much limited to "I haven't removed what was already there"; I don't know if they're actually being written to the blocker map (as they'd need to be) rather than the main object map, and they won't work if it's the latter - obviously if this is the case I'll fix it), then I'll add something to that topic.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »
The Anti-Blocker Field would work in a lot of levels - it could be a way to prevent backroutes, and also creates challenges. For example, you could overlap the Anti-Blocker Field with a triggered trap or the radiation/slowfreeze object. It can also  be used to prevent blocking from the edge of the level, or it can be used with steel on the bottom to add lots of challenge to crowd control. I feel this should be part of LPIV.

On another note, you had a consideration that secret levels can only be unlocked by completing certain challenges for LPIV. This is something that can work for Flexi players. For example, if you unlock all bronze Talismans, you could unlock a secret level. This secret level can either be in the Secret rank, or as one of the last levels of a normal rank.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2015, 10:31:36 PM »
Yes, I'm planning to add that feature. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2015, 11:06:18 PM »
Looks like I can navigate beyond the maximum number of pages in the Talisman screen.

This is possible when I hold right as opposed to pressing it.

The same is true when I hold left, in which case I get a list out of bounds error.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2015, 02:28:07 PM »
Found a MAJOR issue in (unofficial verison, thankfully) V1.33n-B of Lemmings Plus II relating to the secret levels. It'll be fixed in V1.34n, which will be an official update anyway.

It relates to secret levels; so those without any (LPI, HLP, Omega) won't be affected. I haven't yet checked if LPIII or either of their bonus packs are, but will definitely make sure to do so before the updates. The bug is basically that the secret levels aren't there; so they won't be accessible via codes (whether cheat or regular); while accessing them via the secret level triggers could do anything from repeating the previous level to the game crashing.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2015, 11:19:12 PM »
Couple of new features I've added for the next update; they aren't too visible in a screenshot so we'll have to wait until a video (or an LPIV demo) using them surfaces...

> Constantly-animating objects can now be set to start from a pseudorandom frame; this will avoid the effect of all of the same object within a level animating perfecty in sync with each other. (Of course, this behaviour could be desired for certain object types (such as one-way arrows), hence why it's an option.)
> Added a new type of object, "moving background piece". These are like usual no-effect constant-animation objects, except they can move! :) Their maximum movement speed is 255 pixels per direction per 17 frames of gameplay, and they can move in a straight line, or diagonally at a 22.5 degree or 45 degree angle. Their speed/angle of movement is defined by the level, not by the object itself, so you can even have a sort of "parallax" movement if you want.

have these features been added yet? I downloaded version 1.33n-b, I'm particularly interested in the objects animating randomly. Where is this option?

-Hakuin Ekaku