Author Topic: Experimental Releases  (Read 27916 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Experimental Releases
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »
Will the custom menu graphics such as the custom menu background and text be removed (as I've noticed in Lemmings Plus V)? I personally wouldn't want this. :(

No. Support has already been restored since this experimental was uploaded.

Also, when pressing F2 at the level preview screen, it gives me a List Index Out of Bounds (0) error. It should not do this, but instead re-open the level select / pack selection menu.

This is a bug.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2017, 04:03:04 PM »
Another new-formats experimental, V11.14.19:6cd5881, with a few more things working than last time. :) Same guidelines still apply though.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=151

Changes:
- Mass replay checker is working again. Note that you'll need to currently be in the level pack you wish to run a test for.
- It is possible to manually add packs / levels to the level selection menu, these will be remembered between sessions. (There is currently no way to remove them aside from manually editing the save data file.) This even includes DOS / Lemmix DAT level packs, although these will be converted to NXLV files rather than loaded directly from the DAT.
- LVL files are supported again.
- Custom menu graphics are working again, and are included for the included level packs where applicable. (Custom skill panel graphics and lemming sprites are already supported, the NXP conversion tool just doesn't automate it yet.)
- Saving completed levels / records between sessions is now working again.
- Level select menu now displays icons - yellow bar for "not attempted", red cross for "attempted but not completed", orange tick for "completed, but level has been modified since", and green tick for "completed".
- Entire packs can be selected from the level select menu, rather than only being able to select a rank or an exact level.
- Level select menu performance has been hugely improved.
- Fixed the bug with error messages if trying to save a replay when the "replays" folder does not exist.
- Lots of other general improvements.

Please reconvert any NXPs if you converted them with the tool in the previous experimental build. Graphic sets do not need to be reconverted.

Talismans are still not supported, this is a known issue. I'm considering reworking how they work, and in particular, tying them to the level file rather than the pack.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:12:31 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2017, 11:42:30 PM »
tried converting a few nxps on the nxp converter included in the above download in namida's post and I do the drag and drop as requested.
It displays the filename in "...." and I press enter/return and the window closes and nothing happens.

Tried Lemmings Plus I, Lemmings Reunion and one of my partial build SEB Lems nxps so I tried a wide variety of different nxps and same thing happens.

I'm guessing this is a bug and I'm reporting this.

I managed to convert Graphic sets ok using the GS converter.

I am running the Experimental in an entirely separate folder to the older Neo Lemmix builds to avoid conflicts with my level pack content, not sure if this is relevant or not.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2017, 11:48:33 PM »
I tried on Mobilems and it converted but I'm not able to open/play any of the converted levels in the player. It lists my ranks in the menu but acts as though they are empty, but the nxlv files are there in the folder

During conversion there were a TON of "removed invalid piece" messages. I didn't have any issues with my pack on the old (but latest) version of non-experimental player with invalid pieces.

Mobilems1 uses only (or mostly) original and ONML tilesets so it shouldn't be an issue with new tilesets (and I don't think I have any modifications on the sets, I know I used to but not anymore; on this latest version I uploaded a couple of months ago)

I attached the mobilems I converted here

-It'd be nice to have a message of "pack converted successfully" at the end of conversion, or a failure message if something went wrong.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:59:03 PM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2017, 12:58:48 AM »
Converting Reunion after converting the missing custom tilesets seems to work for me now + I even could get the music to work, but still I would prefer a proper error message instead of just a Windows exception after the program detects that tilesets are missing.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »
Flopsy: The output will be in the "levels" folder. Check there, or just see if it shows up in-game.

Mobius: Will look into your issue tomorrow night (when I'm back home), if Nepster doesn't get to it first (and he doesn't really know much about the convertor, though he does have access to its code).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2017, 10:12:03 PM »
The levels do not appear in the levels folder, just checked now

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2017, 07:51:22 AM »
mobius: Haven't looked into what's causing your issue yet, but can confirm that I can reproduce it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2017, 08:46:48 AM »
Experimental new-formats player V11.14.19:b1d4aa4.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=152

Changes:
- BASS.DLL is no longer built into the EXE.
- Restored testplay functionality. This is accessed by putting the command line parameter "test" followed by the path of the LVL or NXLV file to use for testplay mode. (Note: This will NOT work with the existing editor version, but Nepster's editor will work with it.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:51:42 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
mobius: In the case of your pack, did you have two copies of each folder from the rank? The "levels.nxmi" file in the main folder refers to rank folder names with "(1)" on the end, which is what the NXP conversion tool would do if it detects a conflict.

Flopsy: Haven't looked into your issue yet. I'll get onto it tomorrow.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2017, 12:13:59 AM »
mobius: In the case of your pack, did you have two copies of each folder from the rank? The "levels.nxmi" file in the main folder refers to rank folder names with "(1)" on the end, which is what the NXP conversion tool would do if it detects a conflict.

:XD: that was it. I converted twice but I guess I forgot something to the first time or just forgot that I did it twice. It seems to work fine now. And after paging through the converted pack quickly it seems okay in spite of all the invalid piece messages.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2017, 12:24:04 AM »
The invalid pieces it refers to are generally objects far outside the level area, which exist in some level files that were originally DOS / Lemmix levels (or in rare cases, very early NeoLemmix levels). Basically, they just take up space in the level file without actually doing anything, so they get removed during the conversion.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2017, 02:28:35 AM »
I am running the Experimental in an entirely separate folder to the older Neo Lemmix builds to avoid conflicts with my level pack content, not sure if this is relevant or not.

This won't be relevant.

When you run the convertor, you should get a message saying "Press Enter to continue with conversion". After you press enter, does the tool give output like this (but adjusted for the level pack in question, of course)? Don't worry if it's missing the "Removing invalid pieces" line (this usually won't appear with made-for-NeoLemmix levels, IIRC, usually only with those imported from DOS / Lemmix), just as long as it seems to be going through all the ranks and levels.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2017, 02:37:56 AM »
I don't even see the message 'Press Enter to continue with conversion' or any messages relating to the conversion.

I drag and drop an nxp.
It displays the file path of the nxp, below the drag and drop message and nothing else, pressing return or enter closes the program immediately, no error or explanation given.

I know it's not much help, I'm convinced there may be something external involved.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2017, 03:15:05 AM »
Ah! There's the issue.

What you're doing (I think?) is running NXPConvert.exe, then dragging and dropping an NXP file onto the console window that pops up when you run it.

Instead, what you should be doing is dragging and dropping the NXP file onto "NXPConvert.exe" itself (as in, the EXE file itself, not a window of the program that's running).
My Lemmings projects