Author Topic: GigaLems - A project I plan on making  (Read 59019 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: GigaLems - A project I plan on making
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2015, 07:07:58 AM »
I'm going to wait until the pack's finished before playing any more of the levels (unless there are some specific levels you want backroute tested, etc, in which case I'm happy to do a few of them - but not every level), but I'm definitely looking forward to it. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »
Scalding is Finished
Edit: I forgot about making Scalding level but here you go

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2015, 04:44:20 PM »
And now Scorching
with the levels done before i make the .exe i need help with music

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »
What kind of help do you need?

If you can get your music in IT or OGG format, all you need to do is name it track_01.it (or track_01.ogg), track_02.it (or track_02.ogg), etc.

Similar formats to IT (such as MOD, XM, etc) will work if you just change the filename extension to IT. I'm not sure if the same is true for other formats similar to OGG, though it's very possible that they might work.

VGM, PSF, etc do not work. However, there's a tool called "BRSTM Convertor" that'll convert at least VGM for you (you may need to modify the source code a bit, if it can be done at all, to convert anything else). When using this to convert VGM, choose "looping OGG" as the output, and rename it (the extension it uses will be "LOGG", but just change it to OGG).

MIDI files can be converted using OpenMPT Tracker, just open them in it then use "Compatibility Export". However, for best results, you'll probably want to tinker with it a bit (for example, to set up looping).

Looks like I might need to speed up my GeoffLems videos a bit, since I'd like to do videos on my first playthrough for GigaLems. Still got 4 more videos of GeoffLems to go (assuming I stick to the 10-levels-per-video rate; I might slow it down a bit for Mayhem).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2015, 05:04:07 PM »
but how i tried doing that with one music file just to test it (by renaming it) and i couldn't get it working
BTW i do know where to get Genesis tracks

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2015, 05:06:30 PM »
What's the original format of the file?
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2015, 05:14:06 PM »
I was a MP3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »
Okay, then I guess we can say MP3s don't work directly. They're not hard to convert to OGG though.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2015, 05:45:52 PM »
1. How
&
2. how do i make them loop

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2015, 06:32:17 PM »
To convert them, just open in any audio program that supports both formats (Audacity is one such program) and save as OGG. Making them loop is a bit more complex; you need to add metainfo tags "LOOPSTART" and "LOOPLENGTH", with both values being in sample number, not time. I believe you can calculate the sample number by dividng the time (in seconds) by the frequency. You might want to google more details on this.

Otherwise, if you can find the songs you want in VGM format (which shouldn't be too hard to do), then you can use the tool I mentioned above to convert them with the looping info already in the output file, saving you the hassle of working it out yourself.

One thing I would mention is that using OGGs for your music will result in a very large EXE. You might want to instead do what I've done with Lemmings Plus I, II and Omega - use IT (or similar) files in the EXE, and create a seperate music pack. (To give a rough idea of how much of a difference this'd make, Lemmings Plus II - which only has eight tracks, two of which are in IT format even in the music pack - would be about 5MB larger if the EXE had the OGG files built in. NeoCustLemmix would be about 13MB larger!)

To create the music pack, use the LemResourceBuilder as usual (but with the musics you want in the music pack, rather than the ones you want in the EXE), and take the ARC file (not the RES one), and rename it to [name of player]_Music.dat. For example, if your player's EXE file is titled "GigaLems.exe", you'd rename the ARC file to "GigaLems_Music.dat". This way, you can distribute a smaller EXE, and offer a seperate download of the music file for those who want the better musics.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2015, 06:37:34 PM »
What if i don't have Audacity
also heres the link to the Genesis (and ports) songs
http://www.codiekitty.com/LEM/Music/

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2015, 06:49:31 PM »
Audacity is just one example of a program that can do it (and for that matter, it's also free and (if I'm not mistaken) open-source). There's heaps of others too. Format Factory is another one (and it's very useful in general, it can convert between a LOT of audio and video formats), and it too is free.

The simple answer would be "if you don't have any such program, get one".

You can also get the Genesis musics, in VGM format, here:
http://www.zophar.net/music/vgm/lemmings-vgm-.html
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2015, 06:53:57 PM »
Got audacity set up
now what

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2015, 06:57:02 PM »
To convert them, just open in any audio program that supports both formats (Audacity is one such program) and save as OGG. Making them loop is a bit more complex; you need to add metainfo tags "LOOPSTART" and "LOOPLENGTH", with both values being in sample number, not time. I believe you can calculate the sample number by dividng the time (in seconds) by the frequency. You might want to google more details on this.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2015, 07:18:14 PM »
You can also get the Genesis musics, in VGM format, here:
http://www.zophar.net/music/vgm/lemmings-vgm-.html
Its a 7zip file i don't have 7z