Author Topic: LPDOS Level Voteoff! (Winner: Medi 6 "Fallen")  (Read 7185 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: LPDOS Level Voteoff! (Currently: PSYCHO 1 to PSYCHO 15)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 12:51:39 AM »
Sorry about that. I had guessed no one more wanted to, because there had been no votes after I posted that the round was up (all the votes had come in before the announcement anyway). :/
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: LPDOS Level Voteoff! (Currently: PSYCHO 16 to PSYCHO 30)
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 09:40:56 AM »
New round is up. My votes went to Return Of The T, No Time To Die* and To The End.
* Meaning Part 1, of course. I find Part 2 slightly annoying.

Oblivion would've got a vote, except that it didn't work out so nicely in DOS.

Just keep in mind that the next round will be a new topic, since I need to change the number of votes allowed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »
Unsurprisingly, this was by far the hardest round to decide on votes -- so many excellent levels. I eventually voted for Bullet Lemming, No Time To Die (Part II) and Hellfire, but No Time to Die and To The End! were extremely close to being chosen.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »
Indeed! I'm kind of surprised No Salvation V didn't get any votes, maybe that's due to it's repeated nature. Though No Salvation IV (in Danger) did get one... actually we had the same result in LPII if I remember correctly, the Cunning version (2nd-highest rank) of Floater Frenzy was the only one that got a vote.

So at the moment looks like we're actually going to have four levels qualify... Return of the T, Bullet Lemming, To The End and Hellfire.
(The round is not over yet.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »
Oblivion would've got a vote, except that it didn't work out so nicely in DOS.

Oh?  Does it still have backroutes?  I thought they had been fixed before.  Or is it more about DOS mechanics making execution slightly more annoying?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 11:38:37 PM »
I'm not entirely sure about backroutes, but yes, the annoyance of execution is the primary reason. No matter how perfected the design gets, it'll never work out as elegantly as the Cheapo version did - I'm willing to bet that, even if they thought of the idea, no one (myself included) would have ever come up with the Oblivion trick if Cheapo hadn't existed. Still, the fact that you managed to get the concept working in DOS at all is still pretty damn impressive.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 01:21:18 AM »
Akseli's replay. I believe this is a backroute?

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 08:43:11 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 04:35:22 AM »
Anything that doesn't involve...

Quote from: Highlight to read, though I'm sure everyone knows the Oblivion trick by now
making most of the lemmings into blockers as crowd control, then later (once the worker is finished) freeing them all with a single basher

...is a backroute.

I can't actually view that replay since you uploaded the TXT, not the LRB... =P
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: LPDOS Level Voteoff! (Currently: Winners of Mild)
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 05:32:54 AM »
New round is up. I decided not to start a new topic - I'm sure everyone here can be trusted to stick to the vote limit, and at any rate it's quite easy to see if anyone hasn't. Just make sure you read carefully. And to be clear:

Mild winners: 2 votes per user
Wimpy winners: 2 votes per user
Medi winners: 1 vote per user
Danger winners: 1 vote per user
PSYCHO winners: 2 votes per user

The formula is the number of qualifying levels divided by four, rounded to the nearest whole number. .5 is rounded up (so 4 or 5 levels = 1 vote, 6 levels = 2 votes). The same formula also applies to the semifinal round (whereas the final round is a fixed one vote per user).

My votes for this round went to On The Pier and You Just Lost The Game. YJLTG in particular, I think, does a great job of capturing the essence of Mild but adding that extra "final level of the rank" challenge and fun to it - as well as having a huge variety of solutions.

For the last round, I'm extremely surprised that neither No Time To Die nor To The End made it through. o_O Well, I guess my money would be on Return Of The T now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: LPDOS Level Voteoff! (Currently: Winners of Cheeky)
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 07:08:45 AM »
New round is up. I voted for (very predictably) Russian Rescue and Only One Place To Go.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: LPDOS Level Voteoff! (Currently: Winners of Medi)
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »
Russian Rescue is the winner!

For the new round, my vote went to Fallen.

EDIT: Wow, looks like we might be in for a tie this round. Oh well, they're both great levels. =D
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: LPDOS Level Voteoff! (Currently: Winners of Danger)
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 09:40:50 AM »
Well, it's a tie between Fallen and The Oddstack.

Now for Danger. My vote goes to Die The Death Of The Damned.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: LPDOS Level Voteoff! (Currently: Winners of PSYCHO)
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
New round is up. I voted for Variety Day and Return Of The T.

EDIT: Wow, we'd have a four-way tie at the moment if I hadn't voted for Variety Day! I was seriously *this* close to voting Coalburner instead. That's possibly the hardest pick between two levels I've had to make yet in the voteoffs. (Return of the T for the other vote was an easy enough choice.)

I'm also quite impressed by seeing RotT doing this well, as it's one of my oldest levels in existance. Of course, the LPDOS version of it is a remake, not the original (which was in Cheapo), but even so. It's also the first really hard level I ever made - while Bullet Lemming and Die The Death Of The Damned (in the form of Dialing 309 2000 from LP1) are older, their Cheapo counterparts were significantly easier, whereas RotT was, while *slightly* easier in the Cheapo version, still very hard. As I mentioned before, I'm also very surprised that neither No Time To Die nor To The End! made it past the first round - I was expecting one of those two to take the overall win. o_O
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: LPDOS Level Voteoff! (Currently: Semifinals)
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2014, 08:53:51 AM »
Semifinals are up! I voted for Fallen and Die The Death Of The Damned.

At the moment, looks like our final is going to be the levels of this round, minus Mild 12 and Medi 16...
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Finals are up! My vote goes to Fallen. Both were excellent levels when they came out, but Die The Death Of The Damned doesn't hold its replay value (and the main idea of it is far more common in custom levels these days) as well as Fallen does.
My Lemmings projects