Author Topic: Files transfer (from windows,xp,vista/mohave' to windows 7)  (Read 1544 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Files transfer (from windows,xp,vista/mohave' to windows 7)
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:54:21 AM »
Hey i've got a new windows computer with windows 7
and i can't find a flash drive and i don't know how to transfer it
Is there anything you can do

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Files transfer (from windows,xp,vista/mohave' to windows 7)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:16:36 AM »
Windows 7 comes with a "Windows Easy Transfer" feature that is suppose to help you with that; however, it requires a special USB cable you have to buy, and since you need to connect that cable between the two computers, it will be a hassle if you have the two computers in different places (eg. one in a room upstairs and another one in the basement, for example).  Finally, even with all that, I don't think it actually transfer entire applications; those you still have to reinstall.

So let's forget about that.  Then it depends on how many files you have to transfer and how big, but generally speaking, it's really recommended that you go buy a flash drive, as unfortunately there really aren't any other alternatives that are particularly easy to set up and use.  If it's just a limited number of small files, you could use the Internet (upload or attach to email, then download), but that will be a slower way to go especially if you need to transfer large files.

Also note again that you will likely need to reinstall any programs you have on the old computer onto the new computer; merely copying the files will likely not work.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Files transfer (from windows,xp,vista/mohave' to windows 7)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:46:56 AM »
As an alternative to buying a flashdrive, you could always use a few CDs or DVDs (especially if you already have rewritables).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)