Author Topic: Lemmings Plus DOS Project (third and final demo now available!)  (Read 52852 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus DOS Project (official 10-level demo available!)
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2009, 12:20:53 PM »
And I finally, after ages of procrastinating on it, did a fewest skills attempt on No Time To Die. My best result so far: 29 skills.

It might be possible to reduce this to 24-ish. I'll try soon.

EDIT: Success. Reduced to 23 skills. This solution is VERY tight for time. The normal solution, I can do with about 7-8 seconds left on the clock. The 23 skills solution, 1 second remaining, on the edge of flipping over to 0.

Unless there's some way to pull off an awesome slide (which I haven't had much luck with), I'd say 23 is the bare minimum. I've tried a two-climber solution and it barely misses the time limit, so no luck there, besides, that was done based on the 29 skills solution so it probably wouldn't even work on the 23-skills one.

Still one hell of a lot of skills for a 2 minute, one screen, x of each skill level! (To be fair though, the level IS one of the hardest, if not THE hardest, so far... which is pretty amazing in itself for a one screen, x of each skill level...)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2009, 12:50:59 PM »
I just had my first attempt at the level, and came up with a solution I actually quite like (no brute-forcing the solution, but trying to find an elegant way). It uses 22 skills, and I didn't try to optimize it, even.

I suspect it's likely that you can get a very low skill-count using the sliding glitch...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »
Impressive. Not a backroute by any means (every key element of the intended solution is present in yours - the multiple workers making different parts of the path, the build up and mine down on the right side, the climber landing on the first worker's bridge rather than entering with the others, etc), but still a very impressive way to deal with the level. That's one of the things I like about levels such as this one, No Salvation, To The End, etc - there's several different ways to beat them, yet they still manage to be challenging no matter what route you find. (For those of you who didn't get To The End while it was available - get the first demo, and play "One Step At A Time". "To The End" is a repeat version of this, with only one difference - instead of 20 builders, you have none. Everything else is the same.)

Here's my 23-skill solution. Based on it, you can probably optimize yours further.

(As with all my replays, and for that matter as all my levels are intended to be played where relevant, it uses DOS Mechanics, not CustLemm)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2009, 01:35:51 PM »
Ah yes, I didn't try the basher at the top as for some reason I thought the timing wouldn't work out. That saves two skills, including a builder.
I also found a way to time a climber using a floater, reducing the skills by another one, including a builder again.
I'm not too much a fan of solution optimisation, but these two make the solution actually a bit cleaner.
(Attached solution uses CustLemm machanics, as that's consistent with most replays and the ONML styles. Shouldn't matter in this case).

So it's down to 19 skills, and only 7 builders used. You could make it a 7-of-each level. :P

EDIT: Here's also a (pretty inefficient) sliding solution:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2009, 11:02:29 PM »
The level's hard enough as it is... it's staying 9 of each. :P
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »
Here's another new one.

EDIT: Backroute fix uploaded. If you have the old version, you don't really need to redownload; the only change is the new version only gives 4 builders instead of 5. This does make the intended solution a little bit harder to pull off, but makes the backroute completely impossible.

Download now removed.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2009, 11:52:32 PM »
How bout L+ mutiplayer level pack
here are some sagestion
1.Together we are eight 4P 5P 6P 7P 8P
2.Dead duck Bad luck 2P
3.Triple threat 3P
4.The great labynth 4P
5.Midnight snack 2P 4P 6P
6.Detention 4P
7.Back from the dead 6P
8.It's a bird..2P 3P 4P 5P
9.The crossover point (4 player edition)
10.Fly on a broom stick
Plus some from the original lemmings and onmlemmings
In four player style

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2009, 06:27:38 AM »
Giga, this is not related to what namida is trying to do, OK? This is not multiplayer lemmings. The purpose of this project is to copy and paste levels from Lemmings Plus. He doesn't need his creative skills for this. Remember, namida is the host and (in this topic) he does the levels.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2009, 02:33:11 PM »
Okay whatever then
mabye i'll work on a l++ multiplayer pack

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2009, 11:10:16 PM »
If Lemmix gets support for multiplayer, I might throw some multiplayer levels in, but at this stage it doesn't look likely.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2009, 09:33:37 PM »
Question: Could I please get reviews on the 2nd demo pack (in the same style as the Level Review game), so I can take them into account with further new levels?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2009, 01:52:36 AM »
LP2 - Level 1

Good:  Simple level for the simple entry into the game.
Bad:  The name suggests you must lose at least one lemming.  I imagine it's not a problem, but here's a replay on how to save all the lemmings.

Level 2

Good:  There are many ways to save all of the lemmings.
Bad:  I can't say I know where in the first rating it will be, but if it goes in the early part, disregard this comment:  Way too easy, newbies will probably be able to identify a solution in seconds.

Level 3

Good:  Uh, nicely put together for what's there?  Compact?  I don't know.
Bad:  Solution is fairly obvious for something going into rating 2.  I guess Tricky 1 had this same problem, but...  Here's what I did to make solving the level more interesting (although it wasn't something the level required at all)!

Level 4

Good:  The first level in the pack that made me think. 
Bad:  What appears to be the intended solution requires timed bombers.  I was almost ready to give up when I noticed what I believe is a backroute.

Could not solve 5

Level 6

Good:  Nice design.  2 lemmings, looks daunting at first.
Bad:  Compared to both 4 and 5, my solution may be a backroute.  Another replay.

Just so you know, I use the DOS mechanics.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2009, 09:08:23 AM »
Level 1: The name is purely random. 100% is possible, and in fact, the repeat version requires it.
Level 2: All of the Mild levels are meant to be simple like that - Mild is more comparable to Tame than to Fun.
Level 3: This level has since been moved to Danger, and the builder removed. Still working on killing some backroutes (the obvious one being bombing through the wall).
Level 4: I didn't watch your replay (if you even posted one for this), but I think with 20 builders, it's fairly obvious you can solve it without timed bombers.
Level 5: ...you couldn't solve it? I guess this level is a bit trickier than I thought. (In fact, I thought it possibly too easy for a Medi level. The only thing that makes it somewhat hard IMO is the 100% requirement.)
Level 6: I imagine you did find the backroute (second lemming builds immediately, first bashes then builds to the exit). This route is fixed as easily as raising the number of lemmings.

In general, Mild levels are meant to be very simple - with "Up, Down, Round & Round" thrown in for a sudden difficulty spike (although I'm considering moving it to Wimpy) - even towards the end. Wimpy is meant to be a mix of slightly less simple do-what-you-like levels and some easy puzzle levels. Medi is supposed to be complex do-what-you-likes combined with some more challenging puzzles, and Danger with good puzzles (as well as a few hard do-what-you-likes, such as "So That's The Plan..." from the 2nd demo). PSYCHO is meant to be just puzzles, puzzles and more puzzles (although at least one very hard do-what-you-like made it in - mostly due to the fact that it's missing one skill, and that one missed skill happens to be builders, which to most people would appear to be critical to solving the level).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2009, 09:33:28 AM »
Here are LVL files for levels that are in the demos but have since been modified.

1st Demo
Die the Death of the Damned: There is no change to the level itself, only its difficulty rank has been changed. It is now Danger, not Medi.  Therefore, no new LVL file is required.
Bullet Lemming: The level gives you one fewer builder than before (so the total is 11 builders). It has also been moved from Danger to PSYCHO.

2nd Demo
Backdraft: The design is slightly modified to remove backroutes, and you no longer get a builder. It has also been moved to Danger.
Eye of the Lemming: The level now has 10 lemmings (still 100%) instead of 2, to remove a backroute.

EDIT: Eye of the Lemming has been changed to remove a backroute. The change is that you now only have 1 blocker instead of 5, all else  is the same as  before.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2009, 01:52:03 PM »
Here my idea for a level
every one has them too
Walking in the dark

1|2|3|4|5|4|3|2|1

good:This level has suprisingly invisable tarrain
Bad: you don't know were it ends  :o