Author Topic: Upgrade NeoLemmix  (Read 1507 times)

Offline UrbanSpaceman

• View Profile
Upgrade NeoLemmix
« on: November 09, 2023, 05:39:07 PM »
Hi!

It's unclear to me how to upgrade to a new version of NeoLemmix: do I download and expand it over my current folder? What about my existing scores, music, level packs, etc? Just a quick guide on the download page would be enough, to be honest, nothing fancy!

Thanks for the great program :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 08:59:25 PM by namida »

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Upgrade NeoLemmix
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 08:05:27 PM »
Yes, simply extract the new version on top of it.

If you want to look in the new version zip first you should see that it won't overwrite your own music (only if you changed the standard rotation) and levels and such and only the standard "out of the box files".
Your settings and scores should also be safe - those are stored in the seperate user and settings files that the program creates only later on startup.
Again, you can make a quick comparison on whats in the zip and whats in your folder and you will see what's being replaced and it should not be any critical user stuff.

Depending from which version you are updating from there could be a few physics changes though. This topic here should have more info: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5673.0

If you got any more questions, simply ask! :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Upgrade NeoLemmix
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 09:01:39 PM »
I have moved this to the main NL board as it is not a bug or suggestion. In terms of your actual question, Icho summed it up pretty well.

I do recommend installing to a clean folder if upgrading from one major version to another (eg. 12.11.X to 12.12.X). You can still copy levels and progress from your old install. When upgrading between minor versions (eg. 12.12.4 to 12.12.5), you can install over the existing copy, and I generally provide upgrade ZIPs that contain only the files that have changed.

If you are upgrading from a really old version (10.X.X or 1.X), you should set up a completely fresh install as most files are not compatible between those and 12.X.X.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline UrbanSpaceman

• View Profile
Re: Upgrade NeoLemmix
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 10:34:31 AM »
Thank you to both of you for your comprehensive responses: that's super clear. I'm getting back into the swing of Lemmings ever since literally running to the computer store on release day to make sure I got a copy, and Neolemmix is giving me lovely flashbacks!