Author Topic: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.26n-C | Editor: V1.26n-B)  (Read 124514 times)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix (Player: V1.24n | Editor: V1.24n-A)
« Reply #465 on: October 27, 2014, 07:44:23 AM »
Once I'm able to download Amiga Forever again, I'll see if I can rip the level from an uncompressed savestate like I can with the full version of the game.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #466 on: October 28, 2014, 02:19:52 AM »
About further levels, I'm going to limit Extra to levels from official versions that are either mechanics compatible with the originals or include most of the same levels, to avoid overcrowding. (Except for the L2 classic levels). Other remakes could still be made into Flexi based players or NeoCustLemmix level packs, though.

This means versions like NES and PSP are fine, but not PS3 or Lemmings Touch, for example. Where possible a direct rip will be used and if needed edited to NeoLemmix-ise it, but if it cant be ripped or the format is not compatible, then a remake may be used. All remakes should initially be designed within traditional Lemmix limitations, then NeoLemmixised, if possible (so they can be included in Traditional too) - I'll sort out something for the L2 classic tribe levels (for the flamethrower) for the traditional version.

EDIT: From what I can gather, this should mean the following (including already present ones, and without checking if they do have unique levels - bolded ones I believe *do* have unique levels that aren't included yet):
* 3DO
* Acorn Archimedes (ONML)
* Amiga
* Amiga CD32
* Amstrad CPC
* Atari Lynx
* Atari ST
* Commodore 64
* FM Towns
* Gameboy
* Gameboy Color
* NES
* PC (DOS / Windows)
* Phillips CDi
* PSP
* PS2
* Sega Genesis
* Sega Master System
* Sharp X68000
* Sinclair Spectrum
* SNES
* Turbo CD
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 28, 2014, 11:21:43 AM »
Thanks.

There's a glitch with the nuclear bomber. The bomber can actually get around the steel and remove terrain near steel within the blast radius. Image attached for example.

You can block a lemming that is stuck in a wall (and, to an extent, add a pre-placed blocker). Is this intended or not?

Also, found some gimmick combination glitches.

Assign All+One Skill: if I have lemmings that currently in the level (i.e. some haven't come out of the trapdoor yet) do a skill, they shouldn't be able to be assigned another skill since *all* of them are already assigned, but if an unassigned lemming comes out and I have hm do a second skill, the other lemmings are also able to do that second skill. (e.g. 64 lemmings currently in the level build, but when you assign the 70th lemming a miner, all the other lemmings mine).

For Assign All+Turnaround, only the one lemming that gets clicked turns around, but all other lemmings do it in the direction they are facing.

Wrap+Solid Floor:
  • A lemming is able to pass through the bottom of the level once. One he falls from the top and falls to the bottom again, he disappears and splats.
  • Also, if the lemming builds up the top of the level, he will pass through the Solid Floor, but if you stop him and he falls, he can bypass the Solid Floor once before falling down and treating it as a Solid Floor.

Turnaround+Disobedience - a lemming turns around after shrugging. Not sure if you'll consider this one a glitch or not, though it will make for interesting levels if this is intended.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #468 on: October 28, 2014, 06:56:57 PM »
Nuclear bombers one is not a glitch; the same thing happens with regular bombers too on thin enough steel. Ill look into the rest at some point soon.

Okay, comments on the others:
- Block in wall: No reason why they shouldn't be able to? Of course, there shouldn't be too many ways to *get* them stuck in there, though building up into it or creative builder/stoner/stacker placement may result in it.
- Assign all + one skill: This is a glitch, I'll fix it in the next update.
- Assign all + turnaround: This is also a glitch, I'll fix it in the next update.
- Wrap + Solid floor: These two gimmicks obviously aren't going to play nice together (like hardworkers + lazy lemmings wouldn't be expected to; though in practice the result of those two is just that some skills behave like one and some behave like the other*). Most likely, what I'll do is make it so if both of these gimmicks are in effect, wrap only applies horizontally.
- Turnaround + Disobedience: If you click once (shrug only), they should turn around, more or less as if they'd been assigned a walker. If you click twice (shrug then perform skill), they should turn around twice, and thus ultimately perform the skill in the original direction. If this isn't what happens (I didn't test yet), it's glitchy.

* From memory: Builder and Platformer get the hardworkers effect, while all other affected skills get the lazy lemmings effect.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 29, 2014, 06:16:40 AM »
Here are a few glitches I think I found yesterday while testing out Danger 27 and Fun 6 respectively:

* Climbing Mechanics - doesn't work because the mechanic decides to fall down instead of continuing to climb, because it moves one pixel to the right. I may have to test this further with left climbers and floaters to see if the same problem occurs.

* Swimming Bombers - When the bomber skill activates the Lemming falls through the sea and does the Oh No bit before exploding, rather than explodes instantly.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 29, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
Gimmick Combo glitches:
  • Backwards+Turnaround+Assign All: The same Turnaround+Assign All glitch applies here.
  • Another addition to the Wrap+Solid Floor glitch: if you attempt to use the pre-placed blocker on the Solid Floor, it will still pass through the solid floor, then fall down before dying again.
  • Wrap+Solid Floor+Glider/Floater - a Glider/Floater will always ignore the Solid Floor.

NeoLemmix:
  • Snow style: The arrows' color needs to be changed, because the white arrows are very hard to see in the snow.
  • For LemmingBlink, it should be extended so that when enough lemmings reach the exit, the "In" number should blink.
  • An odd thing with solely pre-placed lemmings and no trapdoor, even though the number of lemmings set is more than the number of pre-placed lemmings: For example, if you set the level to have 20 lemmings without a trapdoor, and there is only one pre-placed lemming, when all pre-placed lemmings die, the level does not go straight to the fail screen.
  • Is it possible to fix the stretched numbers "9-6" when a lemming touches a radiation object?
  • memory leak: 56. This may be possible if I leave the editor on for a very long time.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #471 on: October 30, 2014, 01:09:11 AM »
Climber Mechanic: I know exactly why this is happening. I'll think of what to do about it.
Swimming Bomber: Correct behaviour should be instant explosion with no terrain removal. I'll look into it.

Turnaround + Assign All: Should fix when I fix the non-backwards version.
Solid Floor + Wrap: See above.

Snow One-ways: Will do.
Blink: I'll make that a seperate option probably.
Pre-placed: I'm aware of this. I probably should do something about it...
9-6: A main.dat issue; I should be able to sort it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #472 on: October 30, 2014, 04:29:45 PM »
Wraparound gimmick:
The current "Wrap" checkbox will, from the next update, only be *horizontal* wrap-around.
The checkbox following it (currently labelled "(Gim23)" will be *vertical* wrap.

If you want your level to wrap both ways, please make sure *both* of these are checked. (It doesn't matter that (Gim23) isn't currently labelled correctly; it's still saved to the output level file and so will function fine once a player that pays attention to it is released.)

Note that Solid Floor and Vertical Wrap are incompatible, and as such, from the next update, Solid Floor will be ignored if Vertical Wrap is enabled. (However, you can combine Solid Floor and Horizontal Wrap.)

General notes on trigger areas:
I'm probably going to look over and adjust some of the trigger areas at some point soon - I'll try to do it before the next update. Anything that relies on pixel-precise positions of them may need to be adjusted after that. It won't affect one-way arrows, most NeoLemmix-exclusive objects (possible exceptions are locked exits (as their current trigger areas are direct copies of the standard exit ones) and one-way fields (which aren't really NeoLemmix-exclusive)), or anything in the Lemmings Plus III styles except maybe water (and the visually-water-but-mechanics-wise-fire object from the Lab style).

Note on window position:
I'm going to adjust it back to the original X=24 (instead of X=25) spawn position. This may affect levels where the window is precisely placed. I'm also going to move the Y spawn position one pixel higher; this gives more consistency with what is or isn't a fatal fall (for example, Mayhem 1, where currently the entrance has been moved up by one pixe to keep the initial fall fatal). So, if your window position needs to be pixel-precise for any reason, it should be moved one pixel right and one pixel down from current position.

Additionally, in custom styles, I'm adding an option to allow custom positioning of the spawn position. Simply use the Trigger X and Trigger Y of the window object to specify them. However, I don't believe the current version of LemSet allows setting these on windows (they'll be ignored), so I'll need to make an update that does, most likely. If they aren't specified, the default position will be used.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 31, 2014, 12:49:00 AM »
After reading this post by Prob Lem, I had to look the level up, and this is the closest I can get to a level map (beware, this one has the intended solution). This topic of another forum discusses the solution to the level (with the image I posted here), as it was apparently an extremely difficult level.
It's difficult due to the lack of Builder-shrugging in the (earlier) version of Lemmings that the Amiga Format demo is derived from. Take out that problem and it's just very timing and execution focussed.

There is an extremely pixel-precise way of saving 100%, too (I won't spoil it here), but due to that demo having collision-detection that is slightly different to (and I would say pickier than) the final game, I'd say that it would be fair to consider it a glitch.

Anyway, here's hoping that this one can be gotten out of that demo soon. :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #474 on: October 31, 2014, 03:54:17 AM »
I've fixed all the gameplay glitches above (but not the graphical issues) now.

In the case of the climbing/falling/floating mechanics; I've made it so that only a lemming who is standing on something is able to perform the mechanic skill. Specifically, it checks if the lemming has a pixel at it's usual check position; it will also automatically fail the check if the lemming is currently climbing, hoisting or swimming. (TODO: Check whether I need to add more exclusions to that list, or if they're already handled by when a trap can trigger altogether.)

Noticed a (fairly obvious) issue with the Assign All + Disobedience combo too; I'll get onto fixing that one soon. Though leaving this one as is could give interesting results, too...

Another thing I've thought about is; it doesn't really make sense to leave exisiting packs on old verisons, so I'll probably do one more official update of each NeoLemmix pack (LPIII, LPIII Bonus, HLP) to the finalised version of NeoLemmix once it's ready. I don't think Omega will be ready before NeoLemmix is finalised, so no issues there as such.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #475 on: October 31, 2014, 04:24:13 AM »
How's this? :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #476 on: October 31, 2014, 05:36:10 AM »
Updates for LemSet and LemMain! :)

LemSet V10
------------------
> Fixed some inaccurate colors in the default palettes (including those used when extracting
  graphics sets).
> Trigger positions can now be set on window objects; these will be useful in a future NeoLemmix
  update.
> Added an option to save the default palettes as BMP files, rather than including copies of
  them.
> Compiled with a newer version of QB64, giving the EXE a much smaller filesize.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/as09mdhwyogykqb/LemSet_V10.zip
or
http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lemtools/LemSet.zip

LemMain V7.3
---------------------
  > fixes some colors with the palette. Note that the 4th color in the Xmas menu palette is intentionally
    set slightly incorrectly, to differentiate it from color #0 (as they are both RGB 0,0,0)
  > compiled with a newer QB64 version, giving a smaller filesize for the EXE

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4go8mlnx65ke8eu/LemMain_V7.3.zip?dl=0
or
http://www.neolemmix.com/old/lemtools/LemMain.zip

A note to anyone using the Flexi Player - V1.24n or earlier MAIN.DATs / SYSTEM.DATs will probably not be compatible with V1.25n onwards. Haven't decided yet what will happen for Traditional Flexi, but it's likely that they will be updated too in the next update to use the new format. This is due to a few changes; for example, it will no longer specify the number of levels in a rank (instead, it'll just be based off the number of levels present in the DAT file - number of *secret* levels will still need to be specified, of course), I'll expand the maximum length of postview screen strings, and also add support for defining style names. Also, most likely, SYSTEM.DAT will no longer be built into MAIN.DAT, but be present as a seperate file (meaning that if no changes are needed to the images, existing MAIN.DATs can be used as is, without having to extract and rebuild them); also meaning that it'll no longer be part of LemMain, but either a standalone tool or part of the NeoLemmix Editor.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #477 on: October 31, 2014, 06:11:40 AM »
On that note, if there's anything you'd like to be customizable that isn't yet in Flexi, let me know and I'll try to work it in.

EDIT: Found a bug, specifically that there are steel areas where there shouldn't be in the LPDOS levels. This doesn't seem to be affecting any other players, just LPDOS. (EDIT: Might also be affecting a very small number of levels in Orig, still looking into this.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 31, 2014, 06:47:14 AM »
I finally ripped One Way to Freedom from the Amiga Format demo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89353583/Lemmings/Levels/OneWayToFreedom.lvl

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #479 on: October 31, 2014, 08:10:48 AM »
Added a NeoLemmix-ised version of it to Extra for the next update. It's the first level in "Other" now.

Also, as I suggested I might do, the number of levels in a rank is now determined simply by the number of levels in the respective LEVELxxx.DAT file (this applies equally to hardcoded and Flexi players; of course, Cust still uses a different system). Additionally, I've enabled having a secret rank in Flexi. This is done automatically if every level in the last rank is a secret level (eg: if the rank has 5 levels, and the secret level count for that rank is set at 5 or higher). EDIT: Can now have more than one secret rank, though they do need to all be at the end of the rank list (ie: you can't have a normal rank for rank #1 and rank #3, but a secret rank for rank #2; but you can have rank #1 normal and both rank #2 and rank #3 secret).

Also, I've modified Flexi so that it now looks for an individual SYSTEM.DAT file, instead of expecting it to be an extra section in MAIN.DAT, though beyond that I haven't made any changes to it so far (apart from that the level counts will now be ignored due to the fact that it autodetects these from the level pack files).
My Lemmings projects