Author Topic: Have you passed all levels?  (Read 22488 times)

Conway

Re: Have you passed all levels?
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2005, 04:57:22 PM »
This is a momentous day in hisotry! X_X

Nxau

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2005, 04:59:23 PM »
he he he it is! :D

and I can vote between those who passed "only original" levels :D

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2005, 10:53:39 PM »
I was stuck on Taxing 13 for some 2 years... but still... that's persistance.

Nice work.  :D
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Nxau

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2005, 01:53:21 AM »
Well, of course I didnt play lemmings *continuosly* for 10 years!

I played in 95 for maybe 6 months or more, then I stopped till I discovered DosBox, just a couple of months ago.

It seems the "touch" is still that one of a Lemmings Master :p

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2005, 02:10:18 AM »
The only levels that had me stuck for any major period of time the first time through were:

PC:
Taxing 3 - Heaven Can Wait We Hope
Taxing 11 - The Ascending Pillar Scenario
Mayhem 23 - Going Up
Mayhem 29 - Save Me

Sega:
Tricky 12 - Menace
Taxing 3 - Heaven Can Wait We Hope
Taxing 11 - The Ascending Pillar Scenario
Mayhem 23 - Going Up

(Save Me does not exist in the Sega version)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2005, 02:24:45 AM »
Whoever commented something like "That's why it's Mayhem 28" - may I remind you that plenty of the late-Mayhem levels are extremely easy. Mayhem 24, 26 and 30 are all very easy.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2005, 02:37:42 AM »
Sorry, yes, I understand that. They could have done a better job with the level order (assuming they wanted the order to go from easiest to hardest). I guess I was giving them the benefit of the doubt with this one.

At least they did a bit better job in ONML, sort of.

Conway

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2005, 03:16:04 AM »
There are a lot of levels in the PC version that aren't in the Sega, and vice-versa. 'Rendezvous at the Mountain' also wasn't in the Sega, but it was replaced by 'Lemming's Ark'. I miss some of the Sega levels!

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2005, 03:25:51 AM »
I actually thought that all Mayhem levels between 24-30 except 29 were far too easy.

"Have a Nice Day!" was EXACTLY the same as the solution I first found of Tricky 13. Just a Minute (Part 2) is simple timing. Mind the Step is simply keeping your attention focused. Rendezvous at the Mountain and All or Nothing... well... those don't need explanation.

Levels that posed problems for me as a child:

Taxing 3: The time limit, or so I thought at the time, was absurdly tight. I can do it now with a reasonable success rate now.

Taxing 11: It's all a matter of not clicking on 7 right-facing lemmings in a row. Ugh.

Taxing 13: Ugh. Just, ugh.

Mayhem 5: I hate this level. As a child, I didn't think to make several blocker collection areas, but I was never able to get the lemmings to build the right way going up.

Mayhem 9: I was a wasteful player at that age. 12 builders kept me stuck on this one for almost as long as Taxing 13.

Mayhem 20: Probably the best "puzzle" level in Lemmings, this one took me forever to figure out.

Mayhem 29: Erm, it's Mayhem 29. What more do I need to say?
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Conway

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2005, 03:33:03 AM »
What's exactly difficult about taxing 13?

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2005, 03:37:15 AM »
It's not at all hard for me today, but back then... I just had a really, really, really hard time with it. I think I failed at least 500 times on it.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2005, 04:33:18 AM »
Mayhem 20 is good, but I picked it up pretty quickly.

Also - Rendezvous At The Mountain IS in the Sega version. Sega Master System at least. Here's the levels that aren't(in brackets are the names of the replacement levels):

Fun:
20. We Are Now At LEMCON ONE (Sega One)
22. A Beast Of A Level (Go For It)
26. Nightmare On Lem Street (Sega Two)

Tricky:
14. Menace (Menace. Same name, different level)
25. Cascade (Sega Three)

Taxing:
15. What An AWESOME Level (What An Awesome Level. Same name, different level)
21. Feel The Heat (Sega Four)
30. We All Fall Down (Sega Five)

Mayhem:
9. Curse Of The Pharaohs (Sega One. Harder version)
12. The Far Side (Sega Two. Harder version)
13. The Great Lemming Caper (Sega Three. Harder version, also the terrain is modified from the Tricky version of this level)
17. Stepping Stones (Stepping Stones. Same name, different level. Harder version of Tricky 12)
18. And Then There Were Four (Sega Four. Harder version)
21. With A Twist Of Lemming Please (With A Twist Of Lemming Please. Same name, different level. Identical to PC Taxing 21)
22. A Beast II Of A Level (Nearly There)
29. Save Me (Sega Five. Harder version)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2005, 10:31:08 AM »
Conway might have meant the Sega Megadrive version; I know "Lemming's Ark" is a level for that version.

Well, there were lots of levels that had me stuck for a while when I first played them, but then, I was very young........

Tricky 14 (Menacing): just could not abide the music -- or for that matter the sound of it with music off!

Tricky 25 (Cascade): I was VERY squeamish. Watching seventy lemmings turning into mush was not my idea of fun.

Taxing 6 (Compression Method One): hell, I'll never forget how happy I was when I suddenly realised how to do it.

Taxing 11 (The ascending pillar scenario): what I found hardest here was just trapping them in the first place, given the very limited space; I'd used miners before on levels like Taxing 3 but it never occurred to me to use diggers. I think I did it in the end by some sort of mixed mining and digging.

Mayhem 2 (The Boiler Room): because it uses a unique trick and until I got it it looked impossible

Mayhem 14 (Pea Soup): because I was on a black and white machine at the time, and the "peas" don't show

Mayhem 21 (With a twist of lemming please): shamefully, the one level I never solved; I had to get my friend Joe to show me the solution. I don't really know why I found this one such a problem.

Mayhem 26 (The Steel Mines of Kessel): because this one is hundreds of times harder on the Mac version, harder than any other level on either game. Took me ten years, after which I found the remaining levels really easy.

Nxau

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2005, 01:52:25 PM »
Quote from: Insane_Steve  link=1094183189/45#53 date=1106105151
Mind the Step is simply keeping your attention focused.

Mayhem 20: Probably the best "puzzle" level in Lemmings, this one took me forever to figure out.

Mayhem 29: Erm, it's Mayhem 29. What more do I need to say?

Well, about Mind the Step... you REALLY need to keep your attention VERY focused.

Mayhem 20: I agree, this is a great level. You need intuition, otherwise...

Mayhem 29: honestly, it's a very hard level, but one "sees" quickly the only way to beat it. The hard part is to put the basic idea in practice, expecially considering the 2 blockers / builders needed at the end.
I played it recently and passed after some attempt.

I think the hardest levels are those where one doesn't imagine how to do. There are some levels in Havoc I still have to figure out the way (havoc 4 and 19).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2005, 03:44:55 PM »
Yes, Havoc 19 is beautifully hard.

What I really love about it is that until you work it out it looks literally impossible.