Author Topic: [SUG][EDITOR] Allow Editor to open .lvl files again  (Read 2149 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG][EDITOR] Allow Editor to open .lvl files again
« on: July 05, 2023, 06:37:52 PM »
From this topic:

Quote from: jkapp76
would it be possible to update just the editor to open lvl files and save as nxlv?

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [SUG][EDITOR] Allow Editor to open .lvl files again
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 07:17:32 PM »
From what I can see, the code for this did exist at one point but has been removed.

What I need to know is - has the code been removed because it will no longer work to convert .lvl to .nxlv, or only so that .lvl file format is no longer supported?

Also, how much work will this be to reinstate? In all honesty, I'm not really up for doing it myself. But, if someone who knows a bit of C# and is keen to see this feature in the Editor wants to have a go, I'll support the effort and do what I can to help.

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 07:10:28 PM »
Has there been any recent thoughts on this feature?
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 09:49:21 PM »
Has there been any recent thoughts on this feature?

If anyone's happy to look at the NL Editor source and figure out how .lvl support can be retroactively added back in, I'll be more than happy to take the necessary steps to implement it. However, I don't have time to look at this at present as I'm far too busy with other projects, and this is something that would need a considerable amount of time and focus in order to achieve.

NL Editor source can be found here. I'd recommend SourceTree for viewing the old commits and identifying which parts of the code are needed for .lvl support. I'd also recommend Microsoft Visual Studio Community Edition for compiling and testing the Editor at any stage of its previous development (this can be done by using SourceTree to checkout the older versions).

If anyone wants to get started and have a look at this, I'll be more than happy to help out wherever I can, but it's not something I can commit to starting myself at the moment.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 09:54:37 PM by WillLem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 09:59:57 PM »
If I remember correctly, the editor didn't itself convert the files, but rather got NL to do it. You'd need to readd the loading code (and translation table files) in NL, readd the code that converts it for the editor, and on the editor side readd the code that asks NL to do this and loads the file. Alternatively, write all new code for the editor to do the conversion.

What would the purpose be? You've said you aren't worried about existing content, but any new content is almost certianly, assuming it's not made for SLX directly, going to be coming from NeoLemmix, or possibly SuperLemmini. The latter is maybe relevant; NL (and by extension the editor) did support SuperLemmini levels too until the time at which LVL was dropped.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 10:58:36 PM »
You'd need to readd the loading code (and translation table files) in NL, readd the code that converts it for the editor, and on the editor side readd the code that asks NL to do this and loads the file. Alternatively, write all new code for the editor to do the conversion.

Yes, exactly - a lot of work which I can't really commit to at the moment. But, if someone else wants to volunteer to have a look at it, I will support the effort and help where I can, and merge the feature into SLX in whatever form it takes.

What would the purpose be? You've said you aren't worried about existing content

Converting older levels would be one motivation, but also having a cross-platform Editor that's up to date is a tempting prospect.

When I say I'm "not worried about existing content", I mean it more in the context of adding new features which may render existing content unplayable for whatever reason; if the feature is desirable enough, we shouldn't refrain from adding it for the sake of levels that were made for a different platform (and are still playable on that platform).

Otherwise, previous content is more than welcome on SLX, and if we can have an Editor that makes converting older levels easier/more direct, then it's a worthwhile pursuit.

With that said, I simply don't have time to look at this myself at the moment. I can only offer help and support to anyone who might want to take the project on themselves.