Author Topic: [bug] [player] Highlight-assignments don't cancel replay, aren't replayed  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
v1.42.

How to reproduce & what we observe:
  • I use these options: Ignore replay skill selection = on, one-click highlighting = off. Haven't tested other options.
  • Assign digger to lem 0 for update n.
  • Framestep back.
  • Highlight lem 1.
  • Highlight-assign builder for update m < n.
    • Observe: Lem 1 begins building in update m.
    • Observe: Replay marker (red R) is still in the panel.
    • Observe: Lem 0 begins digging in update n.
  • Restart level.
    • Observe: No builder assignment in frame m.
    • Observe: Digger assignment in frame n.
Expected instead: Highlight-assignment cancels the replay. Highlight-assignment is then written into the replay. The red R is not visible after the highlight-assignment anymore. After restarting, the highlight-assignment is replayed. The digger assignment is not replayed, because it got erased upon the highlight-assignment.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:09:03 AM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [bug] [player] Highlight-assignments don't cancel replay, aren't replayed
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 07:13:35 AM »
Highlight has never been included into the replay, and no one has ever asked for it to be until now. Given that you're in favor of complete seperation of UI and replay (similar to Lix's implementation) - for example, not replaying (or cancelling the replay due to) skill selection - I find it strange that you would ask for this to be tracked in the replay. Nonetheless, I can look at implementing this if there are enough people who want the replay to track the highlit lemming.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 12:59:14 PM »
Highlight has never been included into the replay [...] I find it strange that you would ask for this to be tracked in the replay.

Highlighting (changing which lemming the highlight arrow points to) should not be included in the replay. That would be strange, your hunch is very much correct. The strength of highlighting is that it lives outside of physics.

The skill assignment that's input through highlighting should be in the replay, like a normal assignment.

I have used "assignment" always to mean "skill assignment". Do you use the term to refer to highlighting lems, too? I'll try to be more clear then in writing. I re-read the initial post, I did choose the unclear wording "highlight-assign".

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 01:00:07 PM »
Ah, I get what you mean now. This is indeed weird; I'll look into it.

Note to self: Wait a while after waking up before responding to (or even reading) bug reports.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 11:05:17 PM »
Done some testing. The "One Click Highlighting" option is irrelevant; the "Ignore Replay Skill Selection" is very relevant (the bug does not occur without this option). Exactly why this makes a difference is another matter, since it should only affect the skill selection, not the skill assigning.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 09:09:36 AM »
Fixed for next update.

I found that the skill not being recorded was a direct consequence of the replay not being interrupted. So, once I found why it wasn't interrupted (which did take a while), it was easy enough to fix the whole thing.
My Lemmings projects