Author Topic: Favourite Graphics style: Oh No more lemmings  (Read 6291 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Re: Favourite Graphics style: Oh No more lemmings
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 08:40:08 PM »
Definitely brick and bubble. Even rock is an excellent tileset, and snow is my least favourite, partly due to similarity with christmas tileset which was used in about 70 levels in Holiday and Xmas games.

Even though brick was the tileset of almost a half of the ONML levels, that doesn't bother me at all and it's the most epic graphics style. It was my favourite already when playing ONML as a kid and my favourite levels are mostly brick styled. However, brick doesn't own in all aspects: It's liquid is the most plain compared with liquids in rock, snow and bubble styles.

Bubble is my clear second favourite, it has unique, exotic world of its own. The acid in bubble style is a class of its own compared to any other Lemmings graphics style liquid. I'm little sad about that ONML had so few bubble levels (only 11 outside Tame......), and almost none of those were difficult (There were 2 bubble levels in Wicked and 2 in Havoc). "It's the price you have to pay" is therefore one of my favourite levels ever, even though it isn't highly difficult.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 02:36:21 AM »
It would be very boring if everyone liked the same thing. ;)
Well, then we'd all be lemmings, wouldn't we? ;)

Anyhow, my votes have to go to Brick and Rock, purely because I really like how they look. They're the ones that instantly struck me as being so different to the original Lemmings, for some reason, which is part of why I like them.

I don't design levels (I'm no good at thinking of puzzles :P), so I can't comment on how well any of the sets work in this regard.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 06:27:26 AM »
More users have registered recently so let's bump this and see if we can break this amazing tie between Brick and Bubble. :P Remember, you can vote for just one set if you wish to, rather than two.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 06:39:37 AM »
It appears that voting has closed on them... I'm not able to vote yet I haven't already voted. Same goes for the Orig one too.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 03:03:03 PM »
Reopened this one as well.

My choices are brick (super versatile and nice looking) and rock (not a fan of bumpy terrain, but stuff in it just looks so pretty). Bubble is tricky to use (at least to make things look good) and lacks steel and snow is bumpy and a bit monotonous.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 03:28:02 PM »
Thanks. I voted for Bubble and Rock.

I love the Bubble style because of its futuristic look and the traps in there, and I also find the bubble water to be very cool. I don't like that it doesn't have steel, but it doesn't stop me from voting for that style.

At first, I didn't like the Rock style, but I was young back then. Looking at it now, I am starting to appreciate the nature outlook of the style, and it is actually more versatile than you think, with the chameleon trap, the seaweed, and actually making unique designs with the branches (e.g. Friendly 12 in MobiLems, "Tree of Life", and a level by a past user who doesn't come here anymore that had the design of a chameleon using the grass pieces). However, that "OUT" sign on the exit flashes too much and it may cause a headache.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 02:17:26 PM »
I voted for rock and snow.

Rock because it is a well made tileset that only experienced level builders can work well with, and when they do they can make good levels.

Snow because it's related to the Christmas tileset, but it still doesn't give me the Christmas tileset feeling, so I really can't make good levels out of it.

You should combine these two together and include the Christmas tileset with it.