Author Topic: [OLD] Player Bugs / Suggestions  (Read 122264 times)

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Player Bugs / Suggestions
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »
This leads to another design question. Suppose many users agree with a suggestion. Then, to make the fix globally avaiable, we'd have to get all pack designers to recompile the monolithic executables. There is no DLL with the common player functionality that's easily replaced, or a single updatable executable that runs the packs as data.

We'll probably have to live with the current way. From what I understood yesterday, you want to grant pack designers a ton of functionality without support from your main build.

-- Simon

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2015, 05:41:56 PM »
Small suggestion: two separate options to show particles. One option is for stoners, one option is for bombers.

I don't really like the particles on the stoner, but they are fine on the bombers.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2015, 11:52:27 PM »
Further testing on the bomber asymmetry shows that it only seems to happen when a *climber* is bombed. Or at any rate, it doesn't happen for a walker. I'll test other skills too, now...

Further testing again suggests it happens when climbing, as well as any state when an "Oh no" doesn't happen (but apart from climbing, it seems to never occur in states where oh no's do happen).

EDIT: Further testing *again* suggests the bomber mask, not the placement of the explosion, may be the issue, as it actually looks like I was wrong in comparing the lemming's states on a constant position; what I should've been testing is the results from opposite sides of an obstacle.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:00:19 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2015, 07:51:35 PM »
I like that you changed the color of the arrows in the snow set. Red is much easier to see and looks nicer. It would be nice if the arrows in the some of the other sets were changed as well. I suggest black or some other dark color for pillar, red for bubble, brown for rock [like lemmini's].
While the white of brick looks fine, I quite like the yellow color in Superlemmini. [Don't know why that was changed, I assume it was a preference].
Don't change the crystal ones though, I think everybody likes those. :P

You can add a pre-play text to any level, which will be displayed between the usual preview screen and actual gameplay. (For example, see any gimmick level in Lemmings Plus II, or any of the training levels in Lemmings Plus Omega). To do this, create a text file titled "iXXXX.txt", where XXXX is the rank number and level number, eg i0101.txt for Fun 1.

For post-level texts, it's the same, but pXXXX.txt instead of iXXXX.txt.

Each line in these files may be up to 40 characters long, and you can have up to 18 lines.

does that include spaces?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:37:14 AM by もびうす »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2015, 04:35:46 AM »
It includes spaces, but not newlines.

Longer texts won't cause crashes or anything; they just won't fit on the screen (in the case of >40 characters per line) or the extra will be ignored altogether (in the case of >18 lines).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline PIGSgrame

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2015, 04:57:26 PM »
There seems to be a bug in the current version (1.30n-D) of the Oh No! MORE Lemmings Neo player: When I try to start Wicked 2 (Introducing SUPERLEMMING), the following error message shows up, then the program quits.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
Are you by any chance trying to use the music pack from the (non-Neo) ONML Lemmix player with it? Doing so won't work on that level as it doesn't contain the different track used in levels that have SuperLemming and/or Frenzy set.

You can get the NeoLemmix version music packs here (and these will generally work fine with the non-Neo players too, though Extra's one might have a few tracks mixed up):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3mb76lxwm6s5fv3/AABH3m5mbgATRZCk9NQvtMQWa?dl=0
My Lemmings projects

Offline PIGSgrame

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2015, 05:53:12 PM »
Yes, I actually did use the non-Neo music pack, didn't know there was a difference. I installed the Neo music pack and now the level works fine. Thanks!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2015, 07:53:36 PM »
Basically what it comes down to is that there's special types of levels that NeoLemmix supports, called "Frenzy" and "Gimmick" levels. The former disables pausing; the latter adds twists to the mechanics. On these levels, different musics play; additionally, SuperLemming levels also play the Frenzy music. Since regular Lemmix doesn't support such features, the musics for such aren't included in its music packs. Thus, when you try to play Wicked 2 (which is a SuperLemming level, as the name suggests) with a regular Lemmix music pack, it crashes because it can't find the Frenzy music.

(The "Extra levels" player, I think the musics are also in a slightly different order in the regular Lemmix version than they are in the NeoLemmix version, so while it'll work, you might get special graphics level musics on regular levels and vice versa.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2015, 06:27:01 PM »
Minor bug:

If I have a level where the save requirement is over 100%, and I press '1' to cheat the level, it simply says "Press mouse button to continue" on the bottom of the Congrats screen instead of saying "press left mouse to continue, right click for main menu"

This is in NeoCustLemmix (but this bug may affect all players).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:30:49 PM by DynaLem »

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2015, 07:11:41 PM »
It's known that cheat mode can do some weird things on levels with save requirements over 100%. The skip-level button is most likely going to be removed in a near-future update (since from the next version, the cheat code unlocks all levels anyway), so I see little point in fixing such a minor issue relating to it.

Also, just a tip - use PNG rather than BMPs for large-size image attachments, as it results in much smaller files without any loss of quality.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »
Thanks. I thought I saved the file as a PNG, though.

So for example, if I type 'IMACHEATER' in Lemmings Plus Flashbacks, all levels in LPF are unlocked?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
Not currently; but that is how it'll work from the next version onwards.
My Lemmings projects

Offline PIGSgrame

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »
I noticed an unexpected difference between the Neo and non-Neo version of the Holiday Lemmings Player in Level Hail 3 (And a happy new year!). I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but it may be related to the small piece of ground missing below the exit in both versions:

In the non-Neo player (tested with V28), the Lemmings enter the exit when they approach it from the left, which is the behaviour I remember from the DOS version. In the Neo player (tested with 1.30n-D), they walk past it and will only enter if you build additional stairs. Is this difference intentional?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2015, 08:25:53 PM »
Nope; all exits should be enterable from the ground (with the obvious exception of midair exits in Sky graphic set levels, but that's only relevant in fanmade levels as the Sky set is a custom one originating from Lemmings Plus III). I'll look into this tomorrow and make sure it's fixed for the next update; thanks for letting me know. :)
My Lemmings projects