Author Topic: Backrouted levels  (Read 3180 times)

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
Backrouted levels
« on: December 10, 2016, 11:41:51 PM »
Hi, sorry if there's a topic like this already, but I was looking for a list of backrouted levels and couldn't find it.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Backrouted levels
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 06:36:17 PM »
As far as I am aware, there are no solutions to the L1/ONML/Tribes/... levels, that were officially endorsed as being intended resp. officially declared as being backroutes. So there is basically no way for us to know what would constitute a backroute. So looking for a list of backrouted levels will very likely be a waste of time.

If you are interested in backrouted levels in a custom level pack, I would advise to post in the specific release thread for the pack or contact the pack designer directly.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 08:20:25 PM »
Yeah, there really isn't a fully objective definition of "backroute", even ignoring the very fact that there are no officially endorsed solutions to begin with.  There are many cases where you can probably use glitches or unusual tricks to solve a level in an unusual way, but if such a solution is harder to execute or harder to figure out, it is generally not considered a backroute.  That determination is of course also subjective.

For example, in some other thread you mentioned a solution to "Compression Method 1" that involves bashing through steel on the right side.  I'd guess most people would at least agree that it is probably not intended, but I don't even know how I feel about whether it is easier to execute or to figure out compared to the solutions that actually compress the lemmings to get through the traps at the bottom.  And obviously we have no data (beyond anecdotal based on talking to people you know, that will most likely not pass statistical rigor) on how people are actually solving that level.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 02:29:58 AM »
but if such a solution is harder to execute or harder to figure out, it is generally not considered a backroute.

I think often, such a solution would still be classed as a backroute if it averts what the designer considers to be an important component of the solution. On the other hand, if there isn't a single main trick but just a complicated solution, an even more complicated one wouldn't usually be considered a backroute.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 12:18:52 AM »
I added a list of backrouted levels. Someone tried to add Fun 17, but you can't really backroute those levels, so I got rid of it. Thoughts?

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 12:43:42 AM »
Yeah, the 20-of-everything levels in L1 don't have specific intended solutions, so the concept of "backroute" doesn't apply.

I think there are a few more backroutable levels; I'll have a go at remembering them all for you. A classic example is Taxing 1, where you can bash underneath the entire puzzle.

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 01:14:32 AM »
The other user's idea was to save 100%. Me, I just add a solution if it seems like there's a shortcut that involves glitches, or else there's clues that suggest a solution.

For example, "PoP YoR ToP" has a clue in the title, has many bombers, and doesn't require 100%; so, it doesn't seem like it was meant to do otherwise.

I'm not sure I agree with your thoughts on Taxing 1; that last pillar is a pain to mine through, and the title isn't something like, "Get up real close" or something. I'm open for arguments, though.