Author Topic: Windows Lemmings graphic set format  (Read 4526 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Windows Lemmings graphic set format
« on: August 05, 2015, 05:04:45 PM »
I'm wondering if the graphic set format for Windows 95 Lemmings is documented anywhere? As a last resort I can probably figure it out from the Lemmix Editor (or perhaps even Lemmini) source code; but I generally find documentation of the formats easier to work with, so does this exist already anywhere?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:05:28 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Windows Lemmings graphic set format
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »
I realised that I can simply extract them by taking the Lemmix Editor (original version, not NeoLemmix Editor as that long since removed WinLemm graphic set support) and slightly modifying the source code. However, I believe this doesn't extract lemming sprites - is details on how these are stored known?

The reason I ask is to obtain a copy of the high-res graphics (without the licence restrictions on copies extracted by (Super)Lemmini) for NeoLemmix V2.00n. Some might need a bit of touching up, since some of them are literally just the low-res pieces zoomed to double size; but that's far more within the realms of what I could be bothered doing than actually remastering every graphic piece (which I'll already have to do for the new object additions, new sprites (eg. swimmers, gliders, etc) and custom graphic sets).

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems they're in plain BMP format! Although again, some of them are just zoomed versions of the low-res ones... grr...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:16:08 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:11:59 PM »
Most of the graphics are actually stored in the various SPR and PAL files in the GFX and STYLES folders. While the game does have BMP files, not all of them are used; the ones containing the lemming graphics are examples of unused files.

The SPR/PAL format can be found here: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=439.msg14762#msg14762

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 01:38:03 AM »
Ah, awesome. I'll check that out when I'm home. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 03:48:21 AM »
So based on that, I chucked together a quick, kludgy SPR extraction tool. For the most part, it works well, although it does have issues with a few graphics... not really any of the important ones, but it'd still be nice to iron these out.

EDIT: Fixed! Forgot to account for (or rather, didn't notice due to hasty reading) the special treatment of 0x7F for the offset.

EDIT: Okay, tested with a few files and I think I've ironed out the issues. In case anyone else wants the tool, it's here, Delphi source code included. If it can't autodetect the palette file (and it is not very smart at doing this), it will ask you to select it; if no specific one exists, generally, FE.PAL should be used.

Output files are 32-bit BMP files. This is not a widely-used format (but I was a bit too lazy to implement PNG support); but most programs that can handle BMP should be able to load it, and the fancier ones should be able to handle the transparency as well (Paint.NET can, if you need a free app that does; it can't save 32-bit BMPs as far as I can tell, but it can load them, including transparency).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:13:29 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects