Author Topic: Lomax-themed Dice Bag  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Lomax-themed Dice Bag
« on: November 02, 2014, 06:55:53 AM »
I have rather a lot of dice - they make fantastic writing tools, and picking a few and using them to generate various parameters for writing exercises is a lot of fun. However, I've found over time that most dice bags out there, be they commercial or custom-made, seem to be designed with the assumption that all of the dice in a collection will be of standardised or average sizes. Not only is my own dice collection nowhere near that uniform, I also have some sets of dice that I don't wish to separate from the packaging that they were supplied with, or that I've given them for organisational purposes.

These are my dice. They are many and varied. ;)

After my collection quickly outgrew a few different dice bags, I recently, finally, decided to make my own. Of course, I didn't want to make just any old plain dice bag - I wanted this one to have a particular theme, and for that theme, I chose the outfit worn by Lomax, in the game of the same name. A character-themed dice bag simply seemed like a fun thing to make.

Here's the dice bag from the front. It's made from purple and brown short-pile plush, to represent the main and collar colours of Lomax's tunic, and has belt and belt buckle details made from brown and grey felt. The bag stands about seven or so inches tall, and the base is a five inch square.

The lining is a custom-printed Lomax fabric! I was originally going to go with a chainmail design, but changed my mind at the last minute and cooked this up, instead, using a few Lomax sprites, and the shade of blue used for the sky in the game's first level.

Here's a better look at the custom fabric. Since it's nice and bright, it's easy to pick out the dice that I'm looking for.

I placed the drawstring - which is made from red herringbone ribbon, and is kept closed by a purple spring-toggle - at the back of the bag, with the idea that the drawstring vaguely represents Lomax's cape, and the spring-toggle vaguely represents his helmet.

Last of all, here's a photo of the bag loaded up with all of my dice, as shown in the first picture.

I couldn't be happier with how this came out. :thumbsup:

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
Re: Lomax-themed Dice Bag
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 05:39:27 AM »
That's a neat idea, and it seems to have turned out well! I like the touch of the Lomax-print lining.

You've quite the interesting array of dice there, as well. I have far too many dice to ever reasonably take with me outside my house, myself (twenty years of gaming and a penchant for collecting dice sets to match each of one's favourite characters over the years will do that), and they occupy a drawer of my computer desk -- but I have a variety of dice bags that I use whenever I do take a few sets with me. Your bag looks quite a bit larger than average, there. How large is it?

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 10:31:51 PM »
That's a neat idea, and it seems to have turned out well! I like the touch of the Lomax-print lining.
Thanks very much! :D

You've quite the interesting array of dice there, as well. I have far too many dice to ever reasonably take with me outside my house, myself (twenty years of gaming and a penchant for collecting dice sets to match each of one's favourite characters over the years will do that), and they occupy a drawer of my computer desk -- but I have a variety of dice bags that I use whenever I do take a few sets with me. Your bag looks quite a bit larger than average, there. How large is it?
The bag's about seven-ish inches tall, and the base is about five inches square, giving it plenty of space inside. It's pretty damn heavy with all the dice in it, though. ;P

I most often carry the below set (minus the CD, of course, which is just there for scale) when I'm out and about, though, just in case. I made it as an accessory for one of the plush lemmings that I've made, but I also wanted to make sure that it was functional for my own use, when it's not on display.

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 03:26:53 AM »
That is one amazing dice bag. I wish mine was that cool! :thumbsup:

Actually, I think I mentioned this somewhere once before, but I am the least handiest person on the planet. Yet, somehow, despite my fear of sewing and my complete incompetence when it comes to any hands-on crafts, I did make my own dice bag. I decided it was necessary to earn my nerd cred.

I see you keep a pencil and notebook with you. Very sensible! I always forget my ideas unless I write them down. (I never do seem to write them down, though. :()