Author Topic: 2014-04-04 released  (Read 16197 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: 2014-04-04 released
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 12:19:20 PM »
Maybe a small sprite amendment is enough instead of a full redraw to match a different digging pattern.

Ah, due to my arbitrary choice of a light-blue block for the terrain, I didn't quite clearly see the white "broom" of the digger and didn't realize the terrain removal pattern is matching the graphics of the broom.

That said, the proposal is such a small change that making the corresponding change in the sprite graphics should be mostly unnoticeable I think, especially during animation.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 03:30:07 AM »
Double-clicking on the spawn rate buttons automatically set rate to max/min, which is very handy.  The problem is that sometimes you are really just doing two (or more) single-clicks to get the spawn rate from "around the ballpark" to a particular specific number, but happen to do the clicks fast enough to trigger an unwanted double-click behavior instead.

namida mentioned in another thread that he recalls an IRS, possibly Cheapo, where right-click is used instead to trigger the "instant min/max" behavior.  While perhaps less discoverable than double-clicking, it definitely does not suffer from the annoyance of unintentional double-clicks.  It is at least worth consideration as an option (ie. right-click vs double-click, and possibly other sensible methods) the user can choose.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 11:18:32 PM »
Good idea against the double-click spawn rate buttons, I've already taken that into the bugtracker.

There will be something about the tooltips that obscure number of lemmings.

[00:11] <SimonN> making a game was a childhood dream, and now that it has users, it's all bugfixing
[00:11] <Proxima> Still. It must feel awesome to have got this far :)
[00:13] <SimonN> hmm, yes, it's weird :)
[00:14] <SimonN> at one time I must apologize to cc because I answer his posts so rarely, and his bugreports are always excellent and ideas are also very worthwhile

-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 02:33:31 AM »
I second the  right-click spawn rate button idea.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2014, 03:02:00 AM »
Thanks and no hurries, after all the SDL stuff is far, far more important anyway, as it is addressing the far bigger issue of the game not running at all for some users.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2014, 07:33:49 AM »
It's somewhat my fault for throwing so many levels and replays into the same directory.  That said, in the UI for selecting levels/replays, I should be able to go back one page in addition to going forward one.  Replace the single "(more...)" with two buttons "Page Up" and "Page Down" maybe?  Or if you really must keep the UI the same, then at least make it respond to keyboard input so I can literally PageUp/PageDown.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has suggested a "force queue" hotkey?  As you may have surmised, from time to time I've hit the case of trying to queue multiple builders to one lix but end up with the opposite (ie. multiple nearby lixes all become builders, understandably desirable for multiplayer but less so in singleplayer). I guess most of the time the priority invert hotkey should work though so perhaps it's not that necessary?  Would be curious to see if other people have encountered this and what their thoughts and practices are.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »
Page up/down: There are hotkeys configurable in the options that move the currently selected level by 5, and switch the page accordingly. This is slightly slower than moving an entire page, and does something different than the proposed page up/down if there is no level selected on the current page.

If that's not satisfactory, I'll write it down.

Queueing builders should always be possible with priority invert (right mouse button). Assign the first builder without invert and then queue while holding invert. I'm not sure if there are scenarios that require more precision.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 10:53:33 PM »
Thanks for the hotkeys tip, I keep forgetting there are separate tabs in Options for hotkeys in different areas of the program. :XD: They are sufficient for my needs.  Though I have to ask why the editor and menu hotkeys' defaults seem to be deliberately avoiding arrow keys and the like even when they would be the most obvious defaults.  (Or was it perhaps just some old defaults that I'm carrying over by copying my current settings files over across updates?)

I've tested queuing builders more and it does seem that priority invert is good enough (once you get into the habit), even in cases where the lix being targeted has climber/floater or similar.

Anyway, I have one or two things to suggest related to the editor, but I shall wait for the upcoming next update to be released first in case anything got addressed by then.  Keep up the fine work! :thumbsup:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »
Right, I'll try to get all physics in order, and your proposed digger fix made it into my local code (delay the removal of a single pixel by 1 frame).

Everything else can go in non-physics version changes that do not demand the user to update. Non-physics releases can occur in quick succession.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 04:15:05 PM »
Love the new frog animation, it stays very faithful to the clam.
I changed your image so the width of the object is 64, so it aligns more nicely with the grid and will be symmetric when aligned. It still looks exactly the same.

I drew two alternative animations of the frog, see attached. I propose all three to be included in the next release. :D

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 08:59:29 PM »
Wow, I love your frog animations so much! frog_catch.T.png is beautiful; that poor lix really looks like she's struggling. And the burpmunch makes me laugh so hard. I definitely approve of all of these going in!

By the way, 9 frames is what the clam had. (One still frame plus eight animated frames.) They should be mostly interchangeable now.

It would be neat if we could make all of these the same trap and the animation is different each time.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2014, 09:47:22 PM »
Yea.  How about each froganimation has a different number at the start of its filename

have a pre-check IF statement on map-load to see if any of those filenames exist in the .txt file

If found, then a random number generator just selects 1 of all frog files to actually use.
So each time you load a frog map it'll be random kill animation during that current game.