Author Topic: Tseug's level pack  (Read 6441 times)

Offline wysiwyg

• View Profile
Tseug's level pack
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »
Hello,

I thought I'd have another try at this level pack ther other day, and STILL cant pass any of the levels. Does anyone have solutions, or even better replays for any of the levels please?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tseug's level pack
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
You picked the probably hardest levelpack there is with this one, and many of the levels also use glitches.

Notably though, level 5, 7 and 6 (to me the hardest level in the pack) don't use glitches, and I wouldn't call the trick in level 2 a glitch either.

I recorded my solutions to all of them and sent them to you via PM. At least level 6 still has a backroute in the current version which I didn't include.

Offline wysiwyg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »
Thanks geoo.

I used to consider myself quite a good lemmings player back in the days of owning an Amiga, but some of the levels I've tried in some of these level packs have made me think again lol. I knew this pack was insanely hard though as I havent had a clue with any of the levels since its release a few years back (probably as I'm not very good spotting where I could use glitches)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »
I tried this pack again just now, and solved three levels that I'd never beaten before 8). Which means I'm now up to 7. (One question: pausing for time is implicitly allowed, right? The levels are meant to be playable on CustLemm, after all.)

Still to do: 6, 8 and 9.

Slightly off topic: I just recently realised where the name "tseug" comes from. *groan*

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 01:03:27 AM »
(One question: pausing for time is implicitly allowed, right? The levels are meant to be playable on CustLemm, after all.)
I believe so.  On the other hand, I believe I was able to solve all 10 levels without the use of that trick.

Slightly off topic: I just recently realised where the name "tseug" comes from. *groan*
There's actually a small bit of history behind this.  Waaaaaaaaay back on an old forum, you are not required to register to post (yep, sooooo way back, SPAM isn't even a problem yet).  So both "tseug" and I use to post as guest.  Eventually they had to require registration for various reasons, so I became ccexplore.  I guess tseug didn't feel like making up an alias so that's where you get "tseug". :-\ ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 03:33:16 AM »
I believe I was able to solve all 10 levels without the use of that trick.

I checked my Lemmix replays and that's indeed the case.  I do grant you though that levels 2 and 3 are definitely kinda tough fitting them in Lemmix time.

I'm pretty sure tseug's levelpak will readily win the forum vote on hardest pak to solve.  One level in particular took me a very long time before I solved it, and it turns out I'm not the only one.  I also don't think I'd ever done all 10 levels if it weren't for Lemmix's features.  (Note that Lemmix was already around at the time of tseug.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 03:38:08 AM »
Notably though, level 5, 7 and 6 (to me the hardest level in the pack) don't use glitches, and I wouldn't call the trick in level 2 a glitch either.

I'm now a little curious how you solved 4 and 9, since I don't see anything in my solutions to those levels that I'd call a glitch.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 05:47:40 AM »
I even remember Shvegait labelling level 4 "glitches galore". Though my solution leaves the digger, so perhaps I should look for a glitch free solution as well.
Level 9 is borderline, as there's no really glitchy behaviour per se, but it's difficult enough to pull off that one might expect it not to work at all.

I'll send you the link to my solutions via PM.

For the record, I don't need the pausing trick at the start either, but it makes levels 2 and 3 a bit easier.

EDIT: I find it really interesting that both me and ccexplore found level 6 the hardest, and now I see it's also on Clam's unsolved list, but when looking at the solution after I finally found it, neither of us could really pinpoint the element that made this solution so hard to figure.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »
I even remember Shvegait labelling level 4 "glitches galore". Though my solution leaves the digger, so perhaps I should look for a glitch free solution as well.
Actually, don't bother.  Turns out my solution did have a glitch (same one as in yours).  It just looked so natural especially played fast-forward, that I forgot it was a glitch. :P

Not sure I'd label it "glitches galore though", it was really just that one, and it's possible to make an argument that it could be intended based on the lemming's movement animations.

And as expected your level 9 solution is pretty much same as mine, as I already surmised based on your comments here.

(level 6) but when looking at the solution after I finally found it, neither of us could really pinpoint the element that made this solution so hard to figure.

Well, for me, I feel part of it is maybe that the terrain kinda hides the solution a little.  Or at least my solution, given that we don't have official confirmation from tseug himself which solutions of ours is actually intended.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 09:58:45 AM »
I checked my Lemmix replays and that's indeed the case.  I do grant you though that levels 2 and 3 are definitely kinda tough fitting them in Lemmix time.

I beat level 2 for the very first time today... with 8 seconds to spare. So no problems there ;). Level 3 I was about half a second "short".

The other one I figured out today was 5 - wow, that turned out to be easy :-\.

I guess what this does show is that I've learned something about this game in the past couple of years. (Now that's a relief; it'd be pretty sad if I hadn't. :P) This pack is like the ultimate Lemmings boss battle :D

Offline wysiwyg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 09:06:58 PM »
Wow just watched the replays, some of those solutions were insane!

Actually geoo I remember your level packs weren't much easier lol, I don't think I managed many of those either

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 02:31:18 AM »
Is there a chance I could see solutions to this set? I don't see any on you-tube.

I doubt I'll ever get time to play them anyway. But I'd like to have a look at the savagely difficult tricks used in this thing. maybe get some inspiration.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 02:58:31 AM »
Is there a chance I could see solutions to this set? I don't see any on you-tube.

I doubt I'll ever get time to play them anyway. But I'd like to have a look at the savagely difficult tricks used in this thing. maybe get some inspiration.

If you can view Lemmix replays, I can post mine later tonight, but actually, I'd rather you don't get inspired by these levels. ;P Most likely you can't anyway as a good number of them relies on glitches that don't work in Lix.  A few are rather annoying to execute due to ridiculously tight time limits that add little to the level.  geoo already remade the level that we both agree are most worthy to be remade (level 6), and he might remake one or two more that doesn't use glitches.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 10:14:06 AM »
Here are my Lemmix replays for tseug's levels.  There's a thread somewhere around the forums for getting an easy-to-setup version of Lemmix, and its website should have the basics on how to use.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 01:30:21 PM »
Oh s***... I've just realised that the only reason I couldn't do level 6 before was because I was using the version of Custlemm with the "correct" fall height – with Lemmix's Custlemm mechanics they land safely out of the entrance. FFS...