Author Topic: Lemmings SNES & PSP Levels Diffierences  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
Lemmings SNES & PSP Levels Diffierences
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »
I made a video showing how the levels look on both versions:

Lemmings SNES & PSP Levels Diffierences
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Lemmings SNES & PSP Levels Diffierences
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:56:04 PM »
A nice, consistent, and thought-out way to present the levels. :)

Most changes are about the fluffy terrain around the central part of a level. While this may have an effect on ceiling routes, the regular solutions all seem to work as before.

I can't tell whether there is still the masher trap in Konbanwa Lemming-san. If it is, then it looks much wider and easier to recognize in the 1991 versions.

They give 8 minutes on All the 6's...

-- Simon

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
I have to say, it's one my lesser-liked adaptations, especially the way that Mayhem is a lot easier – I think Hero Time and All or Nothing got a release rate of 10 rather than 99 for instance.

And literally every level in the game has more time on the clock than the original – Just a Minute has 2 minutes, for heaven's sakes...

I have the PS2 version, anyway, and a couple of months ago I went and picked up a second hand eye toy for £1, so I'm going to try the eye toy version at some point. Remind me. I tried it at the time but it didn't work because I think you need a plain background behind you (the technology isn't that great) and plenty of space to move around, neither of which I have in my room at the moment. Also I had to lend my playstation to someone and I haven't connected it back up to my TV yet...

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:56:51 AM »
Wow, I never knew they changed any of the release rates and the clock. :o I checked it just now. I played the PSP version to get back into Lemmings, so I would had never known. I did played the SNES one first but that was a long time ago. There's always the editor, where you can make levels that are harder than the real ones. I think the reason some of the levels looks smaller from the original like "Call in the bomb squad" is because those terrains that has nothing to do with your objective on reaching the exit makes the level too big for the background. At first I didn't like that when I compared them, but I'm over that.

Edit: I just remembered that you can pause the game before the level begins, and increase the release rate. As for the clock, you can still try to beat the level under it's original time.

Edit2: I went to try and beat "The Far Side" in the PSP under 4 minutes (It really has 6 minutes) and it was harder. What's strange is that in order to beat it under 4:00 minutes, you need to skip the terrain on the left and drop the Lemming all the way down to the terrain at the bottom on the right.

Going to the terrain on the left will only waste too much time.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:59:53 AM »
 :thumbsup: 8) That's pretty neat!  Really showcased the work they've done updating the graphics.  In fact, quite educational for teaching someone used to the 2D graphics of the old version how to do good corresponding 3D effects in PSP.

I didn't realize they did the special graphics levels also, and am impressed at most of the results.  (Their version of Awesome wasn't so awesome to me though. :-\)

I guess it's a shame that they made some levels easier, but maybe they're just following modern trends. :-\  Also, not having played the PSP version, do they walk at roughly the same speeds in both versions to allow for an accurate comparison in terms of 1 minute vs 2 minutes?  It does seem a little retarded to change the time on a level actually called "Just a Minute", when they could easily adjust the level in other ways to make it fit within 1 minute. :-\

Any chance of a second video featuring fan-made versions of SNES Sunsoft? ;)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 02:33:58 PM »
The PSP Lemmings plays at a different engine, so I don't think the walking speed is the same. I went to try to beat "Just a Minute" under one minute and it was impossible. By the time the Basher reaches the exit, it's already pass one minute, and there's still a lot of Lemmings still outside. By the time you beat it, there's still 22 seconds left, so they should have taken 20 seconds away and make it 1:40. I will test other levels, to see how many of them can be beaten with the SNES difficulty.

I did build one of the Sunsoft levels in the editor.

Edit: About the walking speed, I tested "Only Floaters can survive this" and in the SNES, it took 39 seconds for the last Lemming to reach the exit and 48 seconds in the PSP. I gave the Lemmings the umbrella as soon as they came out.

I didn't realize they did the special graphics levels also, and am impressed at most of the results.  (Their version of Awesome wasn't so awesome to me though. :-\)

I think that level would have been banned, if it used the graphics from the game called Awesome.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.