Author Topic: Level Review Topic  (Read 118006 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Level Review Topic
« Reply #270 on: September 30, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »
I'm very curious now, what do you think the intended solution to that level was? The way I always did it (I never even noticed the side exits) was to time bombers to explode just after falling off the edge so the wall was eroded enough that they could survive the drop.

Present 17 - Electric circuit

100 lemmings
Save 100%
Release rate 99
4 minutes

5 bombers, 3 builders, 1 basher, 3 diggers

Good: Absolutely unique idea of using the diagonally intersecting pieces for a more interesting construction than the usual "mesh" as seen on Fun 5. Lots of possible routes to explore and evaluate, and another level where this is achieved with remarkably few skills (if we ignore the unusable bombers).
Bad: Could have been more interesting with a different skill set; the builder makes it a bit too easy to separate one lemming from the crowd.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 30, 2009, 07:01:45 PM »
I'm very curious now, what do you think the intended solution to that level was? The way I always did it (I never even noticed the side exits) was to time bombers to explode just after falling off the edge so the wall was eroded enough that they could survive the drop.

Haven't tested anything, but at a glance, seems like a similar approach would also work for the side exits (bombers to lower the edge so you can build to either side exit).  Seems to me the only intention is to make the level looks more intimidating than it actually is, and that you could actually pick any one of the exits.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 01, 2009, 06:27:49 PM »
I'm very curious now, what do you think the intended solution to that level was?

Well, that's interesting. :) I solved this level by bombing down the side pillar so that it was low enough to build a stairway to the exit. So, it is hard to call.

Genesis - Present 18 - King of lemmings

Lemmings: 80
100% to be saved
Time: 6 minutes
Release rate: 1

Skills: 12 builders, 10 bashers

Good: Tagged as my second favourite Level 18, uses the two skills to the best effect. Using two worker lemmings rather than one without blockers really changes the outcome of the solution. Nice colourful scenery.
Bad: I still think the time limit is excessive (I keep mentioning it too much, because I like racing against the clock).
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 01, 2009, 06:33:45 PM »
Genesis - Present 19 - Acrophobia

100 lemmings
Save 99%
Release rate 1
3 minutes

2 bombers, 8 builders, 1 basher, 1 miner, 1 digger

Good: Could have been a very interesting puzzle; not at all obvious how to isolate one lemming to build over the water with so few digging skills, no blockers and 99% required.
Bad: Worst direct drop backroute on the game -- it not only spoils the level but completely negates its concept. Also, the solid walls at the sides are rather ugly.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 02, 2009, 10:06:06 AM »
Genesis - Present 20 - Lemmings-preying iron plate

Lemmings: 100
Save: 80 (80%)
RR: 50
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 3 builders, 12 bashers, 5 diggers

Good: No floater and less builders than the other version means you'll likely have to find a new solution. Efficient use of builders becomes quite important.

Bad: That one-way wall was largely useless before - now it's totally redundant. Cutting back the required percentage (which was 100% on the earlier version) reduces the challenge somewhat.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 02, 2009, 04:02:02 PM »
Genesis - Present 21 - Use your brain better

Lemmings: 50
100% to be saved
Time: 3 minutes
Skills: 2 builders, 1 basher, 1 miner

Good: Level doesn't work with just the basher.
Bad: This level is a joke. Not exciting with just four skills. Even three minutes is too much for the average solver.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #276 on: October 03, 2009, 02:33:27 AM »
Are you kidding me?  *build, bash, done.  May need second builder, I don't know.*

By the way, while I don't like EXCESSIVE time limits, I don't like racing against the clock, either.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2009, 04:38:20 PM »
Genesis - Present 22 - None Title

80% to be saved (40)
Time: 2 minutes
Skills: 7 builders, 3 bashers

Good: Puts a whole bunch of lemmings into one level this time. The timer is challenging.
Bad: I just generally don't like it too much. The solution spoils the nice looking two lemming solution. I thought of a title. It's "Take one road or the other".

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2009, 05:07:51 PM »
Genesis - Present 23 - Precarious oasis

50 lemmings
Save 100%
Release rate 50
5 minutes

1 floater, 4 builders, 1 basher, 2 miners

Good: I suppose it's one of the better level titles. At least, it's poetic, even if it's not very suited to its level.
Bad: Present 23? Come on, this is utterly trivial. This should have been Tricky 10 instead of the 10-of-all-skills version, because it's no harder.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2009, 08:06:48 PM »
Wow, it appears that Present was poorly put together!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2009, 08:24:16 PM »
Well, every set has its share of ridiculously easy levels; even Sunsoft has "Doomsday" and "Two heads are better". Perhaps the best put together set on any Lemmings game is Tame, because all its levels really are tame!  :P

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 12, 2009, 12:17:35 PM »
Genesis - Present 24 - Everyone's a hard nut.

3 lemmings
Save 3 (100%)
Release rate 1
3 minutes

1 climber, 3 bombers, 6 builders, 4 bashers, 1 miner, 3 diggers

Good: Contains a few interesting solution elements, like capturing the third lemmings above the water using two builders; at first glance it looks like it might have a pretty complex solution.
Bad: But the surplus of skills makes it a very generic level, you can be wasteful and still beat the level. Not sure how many skills were intended for getting through that messy construction near the exit, but it's trivial to separate a lemming to clear the path before the others get there to take one of the routes into the trap, and even if it wasn't, you could still use builders and the additional terrain removing skills.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 18, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »
Genesis - Present 25 - Underground City

60 Lemmings
Save 60 (100%)
7 Builders, 2 miners, 2 bashers

Good:  It looks nice.
Bad:  A lemmings level is split into two parts:  figuring out how to do it, and then doing it.  Doing it should be easy, but figuring it out should be the difficult part, except on levels that are supposed to be easy.  This level takes a whole of 5 seconds to figure out, but you can spend hours trying to do it.  I didn't feel like spending all that time, so I gave up.  Also, the fact taht there is no abort level quickly control on the Genesis version is annoying, because, while 5-7 seconds is not a long time, on a level like this it adds up.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2009, 07:51:50 AM »
*bump*

Genesis - Present 26 - Pitfall

Save: 50 (100%)
RR: 20
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 6 builders, 3 bashers, 1 digger

Good: Unique visual design with the snakes made from grey circles. Looks simple, but tricky to solve.
Bad: A little short on decoration. Terrain around the exit looks messy, and the hole at the lower left isn't good either. 5 minute timer isn't necessary on such a short level.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM »
Genesis - Present 27 - Try anything once

Save: 49 (98%)
Time: 7 minutes
Release rate: 60
Skills: 1 climber, 2 bombers, 2 blockers, 14 builders, 4 bashers, 1 miner, 1 digger.

Good: Can't think of anything.
Bad: Level suffers a tremendous backroute, One way arrows looks worse than them of Tricky 27, far too much time.