Author Topic: Level Review Topic  (Read 118012 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Level Review Topic
« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2009, 09:39:59 PM »
Well, talk about a flip-flop... As long as there's enough interest in the ONML review thread to keep that going, then I don't mind.

Sorry to take this further off-topic, but are you interested in playing the Mega Drive/Genesis levels Clam Spammer? Thanks to ccexplore (and a tiny bit of help from me, but he deserves the credit ;)) they're all available in LVL format if you want them.

Awesome :thumbsup: I'll check these out when I get a moment. Although I must say this first map looks familiar - it must have been used in a custom level. I suspect the same is true of some other levels too.

I like that idea. How would you feel about having ONML and The Tribes in the same topic?

Now that you mention Lemmings 2... I wonder if we could have separate threads for Lemmings Chronicles and 3D as well. This might be too many review threads to have open at once, but I would like to see what people think of these levels too.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #181 on: September 05, 2009, 09:53:27 PM »
Okay, here's the link to the ohno more lemmings level review topic.

http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=163.0

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »
I'm currently obeying to Dullstar's rule: "Wait for someone else to review the next level unless 48 hours have elapsed". Since you all didn't review the next level, I'll do it instead.

Genesis - Fun 15 - Tea time in the ball country

Number of lemmings: 20
70% to be saved (14)
Time: 4 minutes
Release rate: 10
Skills: 10 of each

Good: Some good 3d style design, and ideal for some challenges.
Bad: I don't know why that one-way block is there, as the solution is backrouted and makes that block unusable. I personally think the DOS version of level 15 is better, even though the lemmings don't get paid for stamina.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2009, 07:28:05 PM »
Where ARE those images coming from?

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2009, 07:33:01 PM »
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 07, 2009, 07:44:12 PM »
Good try with the link, and then remember to click "Sega Genesis/Megadrive" on the left side.

OK, The next level to review is "Take a little rest", the one after the next.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 07, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Bad: I don't know why that one-way block is there, as the solution is backrouted and makes that block unusable.

A little thing I would have brought up before, but as I wasn't active on the forum at the time the Fun 11 review was posted, I didn't want to go back and reopen discussion of such an old post. There's no such thing as a "backroute" of such an easy level. The metaphor behind the word "backroute" is getting into a house that someone has taken great pains to make difficult to enter, but a back door has been left open. Solving Fun 11 any other way than two athletes, block and bash -- or solving Genesis Fun 15 any way that involves the one-way wall -- is more akin to finding a house whose front door has been left open, and getting in by digging a tunnel.

Anyway, moving on.

On the old forums, when we reviewed the Genesis Levels, as well as saying one good thing and one bad thing we compared each level to the level occupying the same position in the Amiga/DOS version. I'm going to do that, and I'd like to propose it as a rule, but you don't have to follow suit.

Fun 16 - Take a little rest

50 lemmings
Save 80% (40)
Release rate 20
5 minutes

Good: First level that makes you think about trapping the crowd and using a worker lemming. Having to bash then immediately build keeps you on your toes, as does the limited (but not too much so) number of builders. An easier version of one of the Genesis game's best levels, and so gives you a chance to get to know the terrain.
Bad: The "worker lemming" concept feels a bit overused by now.
Better than Amiga Fun 16? No. The original has that awesome feeling of impossibility when you first see it, until you realise that you don't need to go across and then up. It doesn't need a great left-right extent to recreate, and I'm a little surprised it was replaced.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2009, 09:38:43 PM »
Genesis - Fun 17 - Easy When you Know How

I would honestly like to know if anyone actually cares about the full stats.  I would propose only the number of lemmings, and the number to save (and of course the names, but...).
Lemmings:  50
To Save:  20 (40%)

Good:  A nice level with multiple ways to clear it.
Bad:  On 100% runs, the leftmost entrance is troublesome.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2009, 05:26:28 AM »
I would honestly like to know if anyone actually cares about the full stats.

*nervously raises hand*

I think it would be worthwhile to include the full stats for each level. Remember, unlike the DOS version, there actually exist people who haven't played these levels. :P

Anyway, I thought we were only going to do levels that are different to those in the DOS / Amiga version? The one you just posted isn't one of these levels.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2009, 07:41:53 AM »
Anyway, I thought we were only going to do levels that are different to those in the DOS / Amiga version? The one you just posted isn't one of these levels.

That's right, Clam Spammer, even though Dullstar didn't review this level before (It was Adam who did it), we agreed that we would do levels which are different to DOS.

So that means, take away that level please Dullstar because you cloned the one which was on the first page, then I might do the next level.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2009, 07:13:26 PM »
Genesis - Fun 19 - Catch more floaters

Number of lemmings: 10
90% to be saved (9)
Time: 4 minutes
Release rate: 20
Skills: 10 climbers, 10 floaters, 1 of the rest

Good: An interesting challenge to see what skill does what, colourful design.
Bad: Can be time consuming to click on even 10 lemmings as floaters.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2009, 10:27:54 PM »
Please site your sources.  ;)  I don't recall reading that.  Can someone quote directly where that is said?  If you can find it (it must be before my review) I may take it down.  Until then, NO DELETION FOR YOU!

I read through.  Nowhere did it say we were only going to do unique levels, just that we were starting at the first unique one.  Of course, I didn't read back farther than when it was decided that we would do the Genesis version, but that is as far back as even reasonable.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2009, 06:49:02 AM »
I read through.  Nowhere did it say we were only going to do unique levels, just that we were starting at the first unique one.  Of course, I didn't read back farther than when it was decided that we would do the Genesis version, but that is as far back as even reasonable.

I don't think you looked a page back Dullstar did you? I did say that we were doing exclusive levels.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2009, 05:39:50 AM »
Now that I have these levels working, I can join in and start reviewing again. There's going to be some added interest in this for me since I've never played some of these levels before (although many found their way into custom level packs).

Fun 20 is the same as in DOS version, so the next level to review is...

Genesis - Fun 21 - Lemmings in the attic

Lemmings: 80
Save: 80 (100%)
RR: 10
Time: 3 minutes
Skills: 4 bashers

Good: Cool effect with the wall of diagonal terrain pieces, and other nice touches too.
Bad: Too restrictive for a Fun level. 80 lemmings is too much for such a small puzzle.
Better than DOS Fun 21 (You Live and Lem)? No. This was a nice level with a lot of different paths, and could have been compressed (albeit with some difficulty) to fit the smaller level size without losing much.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2009, 06:38:31 AM »
Genesis - Fun 23 - Under construction

Number of lemmings: 50
35 to be saved (70%)
Time: 8 minutes
Release rate: 50

Skills: 20 of each

Good: Nice use of the stairways.
Bad: There isn't much to this level, and it's not as exciting as the DOS version. Only stairs and steel, which is not as colourful as the sand and pillar.