Author Topic: Level Review Topic  (Read 118029 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Level Review Topic
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2009, 07:26:33 AM »
The funny thing is, the Amiga version actually only gives you 2 minutes instead of 3, and of course that version also has one of the fastest game clocks (as well as having 100 instead of just 80 lemmings).  So clearly it was meant to require multitasking, but then somewhere along the line someone must've complained that the original version is too hard or something.  Or maybe they didn't like having 2 consecutive time-constrained levels?

I only just noticed this post at the bottom of the page there. 2 minutes would have been right for this level. As it is, in DOS at least, it's just wrong. :(

Bad: Random title like in the Fun Levels, Solution is frustrating.

I'd like to mention a reason why this is frustrating. If you start the bridge-miner too high, it splats on the ground because of how miners don't get the extra 3 pixels of falling distance like walkers do. This is incredibly annoying, especially if you don't know why it happens and you see other lemmings fall safely from the same height (although if this happens then you've lost anyway. Still not good though).

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »
Mayhem 21 - With a twist of lemming please

50 lemmings
Save 100%
Release rate 1
5 minutes

1 climber, 50 floaters, 4 builders, 1 basher, 1 digger

Good: Another very elegant puzzle (which I didn't manage to solve :( ), nice punny title, and, together with the previous level, builds up well to the climax of Mayhem.
Bad: The "added interest" of having to make all 50 lemmings floaters falls a little flat -- just set the release rate to 99 and click away. Makes this level very frustrating on versions that don't allow RR changes while paused.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2009, 03:56:51 PM »
Quote from:  Dullstar (post heading)
Re: javascript:void(0);Level Review Topic

How the heck did that happen? :o

I think that he dragged a smiley into the subject box while he was posting. Anyway, I'll do the next level, because I didn't get the chance to review a special level yet.

DOS - Mayhem 22 - A BeastII of a level

Lemmings: 80
Save 68 (85%)
Release rate: 75
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 15 builders, 10 of the rest.

Good: Another pleasant looking special graphics level, features a new obstacle which is quite tough to get through.
Bad: Too late for Mayhem, can be solved with 8 of each skill. A little bit shorter than the other special levels.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2009, 06:06:44 PM »
Just recapping on Proxima's point about Taxing 7:

Why allow you to lose two lemmings? Did they have some other solution in mind, and if so, what?

I guess if you set the blocker too late, you could lose your climber as he climbs over the big hill and falls on the left.

If that happens, it would be impossible to solve because all the lemmings will be crowded before the next few bridges will be built. So yeah, I wonder why as well. ???

And also, for Mayhem 20:

Bad: Random title like in the Fun Levels, Solution is frustrating.

I'd like to mention a reason why this is frustrating. If you start the bridge-miner too high, it splats on the ground because of how miners don't get the extra 3 pixels of falling distance like walkers do. This is incredibly annoying, especially if you don't know why it happens and you see other lemmings fall safely from the same height (although if this happens then you've lost anyway. Still not good though).

I didn't know they'd splat. Anyway, my reason (If I can explain it clearly enough) is that with such a high release rate, all the lemmings come out at once crowded with the blocker (which will eventually be freed), then the bridge miner might send one or two lemmings down at the bottom because they are all so crowded, if the miner was too late then he would dig a tunnel thus avoiding the exit.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2009, 07:22:26 PM »
Just recapping on Proxima's point about Taxing 7:

Why allow you to lose two lemmings? Did they have some other solution in mind, and if so, what?

I guess if you set the blocker too late, you could lose your climber as he climbs over the big hill and falls on the left.

If that happens, it would be impossible to solve because all the lemmings will be crowded before the next few bridges will be built. So yeah, I wonder why as well. ???

I don't mean setting the blocker that late.  I don't know how crowded exactly the lemmings are at that point, but it's still conceivable that someone who forgot to set the blocker before sending the climber over to bash the wall, may try to make up for it on-the-spot by blocking after the one-way-wall has been bashed, somewhere before the gaps you need to build over.  This late blocking will still hold back the crowd and you could make it so that exactly one lemming is located beyond the blocker to do the building.  But in this case, if the climber is already well inside the crowd when you start blocking, the climber will simply climb up the big hill on the left and fall into the abyss.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2009, 08:38:31 PM »
This late blocking will still hold back the crowd and you could make it so that exactly one lemming is located beyond the blocker to do the building.  But in this case, if the climber is already well inside the crowd when you start blocking, the climber will simply climb up the big hill on the left and fall into the abyss.

It's actually the middle of the broken ship (:D). Anyway, now I definitely understand. Thanks.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2009, 09:16:29 PM »
DOS - Mayhem 23 - Going up.......

Save 64 (80%)
Release rate: 70
Time: 9 minutes
Skills: 1 floater, 20 bombers, 20 blockers, 20 builders, 5 bashers

Good: Another imposing design, that looks at first like it might be a tough challenge. Isolating a lemming to build to the wall while keeping back the crowd is challenging.
Bad: It takes over one minute and 20 seconds to bash through the wall, during which time there is absolutely nothing to do. :sick: And the last part of the level looks as though it might require you to do something (like bomb through it), but really the lemmings can just walk over it to the exit. Which is a bit of a let-down - and also means most of those bombers and blockers are useless.

And one more thing - a standard ellipsis consists of three full stops, not seven.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »
Good shout. That's why I put it in the bottom 5 which no else has. This is such a forgettable level.

DOS - Mayhem 24 - All or Nothing

Lemmings: 50
Save 50 (100%)
Release rate: 99
Time: 1 minute
Skills: 3 bashers

Good: Can be a little bit exciting to see whether you've done it or not. Good scenery.
Bad: Three bashers, and that's it. Too many lemmings, which is unecessary since they all lock up. The only level to please you or stump you for many days to come.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2009, 10:14:31 PM »
Quote from:  Dullstar (post heading)
Re: javascript:void(0);Level Review Topic

How the heck did that happen?  :o

O_o...  no point in fixing it though, it's kinda funny!

I'll review now...

DOS - Mayhem 25 - Have a nice day!

To save:  72 (90%)
Release Rate:  [/]1
Time:  5 minutes
Skills:
  • 2 climbers, floaters, and blockers
  • 25 builders
  • 1 basher, digger, miner
Good:  Not straightforward, looks nice . . .
Okay:  . . . though a lot if it is gone in the DOS version.  This WOULD count count as "bad" if the terrain that was present didn't look too good.
Bad:  Builders are an annoying skill to sue just because of the time it takes to build lots of stairs!

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2009, 10:27:19 PM »
Ah yes, time to revisit a level I will never forget....

Mayhem 26 - The Steel Mines of Kessel

100 lemmings (Amiga); 80 lemmings (DOS, Mac)
Save 90% (Amiga, Mac); 75% (DOS)
Release rate 50
8 minutes

10 bombers, 10 blockers, 10 builders (Amiga, Mac); 20 of each (DOS)

Good: A very different challenge -- we've had levels like "Let's block and blow" before, but now we have to use bombers and blockers to get through a much more complex terrain.
Bad: For some reason, the DOS version gives you 20 of each skill, making the level much easier, even though its position shows that it was meant as an imposing climax. And I've told you all before about what happens on the Mac version, where the requirement is even tighter than intended (because it's still 90% but the level only has 80 lemmings), combined with the fact that three of the "thorns" in the terrain hold back the lemmings when they're not meant to.... on the plus side, actually completing this leviathan of a level was one of the most satisfying moments of my life. (It took me ten years!)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:52:29 AM by Proxima »

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 04, 2009, 11:37:30 PM »
DOS - Mayhem 27 - Just a Minute (Part 2)

Lemmings:  50
To save:  50 (100%)
Release Rate:  10
Skills:
  • 1 climber, floater
  • 5 bombers, bashers, and diggers
Good:  Breaks away from the short levels that give 5 minutes.
Okay:  Terrain complicates things a lot.
Bad:  Release Rate timing isn't fun.  Maybe it should have been "Just 2 Minutes" or "Just a Minute (and a half)"  instead, especially in faster clock versions, such as Amiga.  Makes one want ot rip their hair out.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2009, 11:49:30 PM »
DOS - Mayhem 28 - Mind the step.....

Lemmings: 1
Save 1 (100%)
Release rate: 1
Time: 7 minutes
Skills: 25 builders, 10 bashers, 15 diggers

Good: The first solo lemming puzzle - a real surprise, which is good to have near the end of the game. Fiendishly difficult too. Plus the layout is good and the brick patterns are nice.
Bad: The ceiling route destroys this level as a challenge. Too much repetition in the regular solution, especially the lower-right part.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2009, 11:52:49 PM »
Bad: The ceiling route destroys this level as a challenge.

To be fair, at least on my copy of DOS Lemmings on my computer, the "LemSteven ceiling syndrome" prevents the ceiling route from working unless you run my special program.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2009, 11:57:49 PM »
Oh, yeah... Hey, I never tried that on my own copy. I should do that now. (Update to come...)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 05, 2009, 12:01:05 AM »
What version are we going to review next?  I hope not Amiga JUST YET.  After doing DOS, it's a little early to do Amiga...  Actually, why don't we carry on into DOS ONML, then into the 4 holiday lemming games (not including the ONML levels in 1991)

BREAKING YOUR DISCUSSION

DOS - Mayhem 29 - Save me

Lemmings:  80
To save: 64
Release Rate: 50
Time:  5 minutes
Skills

Good:  Looks nice, plus a descriptive name.
Okay:  This would have made a good last level.
Bad:  Could use more terrain to avoid having to do some clicking at exactly the right moment.