Author Topic: Epic Lemmings Fangame  (Read 20082 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Epic Lemmings Fangame
« on: May 25, 2009, 06:15:01 PM »
No longer a question, guys!
Now all we need are more level developers to do this, and, of course...

SOMEONE TO INSERT SOME NEW FEATURES!!!

Here's what we have, since the old forums... POOF.
Well, more like WANT to have.

Saving
Statistics
Linear Level Unlocking (like Revolution)
And of course, new levels.

I think there was more, but I forget what.

Submit a level here! Just submit the levels here now.  I don't know if it can be done, but I would like the topic that used to link to merged into this one.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
Re: Epic Lemmings Fangame
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 01:38:32 AM »
Haha.  I guess I should post a download link so you can go pick up the demo pack, so we can rate things, and stuff...

Sorry 'bout the mistake where I included "The Ice Palace" twice.  Oops. :P

Download it here

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 06:07:57 AM »
I had a look at your pack. Here's a quick review :)

1 - Nice. Solution is reasonably well hidden but easy to execute.
2 - A good easy level. One of the brick pieces at the left is slightly misplaced - you might want to fix that ;)
3 - 80 climbers?  :sick: No one wants to click on 80 lemmings individually. I'd recommend cutting it to 20 or fewer.
4 - That's the same solution I found earlier. Good, but possibly too similar to #2. Needs to be centred.
5 and 6 - Two nice simple puzzles there.
7 - You can only have 4 working trapdoors in a level. Also, it's hard to see that the terrain is slightly off vertical - which is crucial to the solution.
8 - Too similar to #4 ;). You can edit the pack to replace that level by the way.
9 - Slightly messy, but the multitasking isn't too bad.
10 - Far too big, so too much time spent waiting for them to walk. You can cut out most of that without changing the solution - I recommend you do this.

Overall: Decorative terrain is very good. Skill availability and % requirements could be loosened a bit to give the player some freedom, but with some incentive (i.e. scoring) to come up with the best possible solution. If we don't do scoring then you can probably scratch that last poimt.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:27:56 AM »
We'll see what makes the cut.  However, the one with the five trapdoors?  I think that can go.

About #8:  It is number four, like I said, wasn't supposed to be there twice.  I'll fix it as soon as I finish the level I'm working on currently.

As for number 2, I'll modify the .lvl and fix it.

Number three, I guess it does need to be smaller.

Number 1:  Any better ideas for the name?  If you want to know why it's called "Attack of the Killer Toddlers," that's what the solution and set made me think of.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 09:35:36 PM »
I modified the pack.  You might want to re-download it.
Some of the problems Clam Spammer mentioned have been fixed (most of them, actually).

Some new levels are in, replacing Quintuple Trouble (7) and the accidental exact clone of Ice Palace (8)

I'll replace Ode to Ceiling Routes (10) as soon as I have another level to go in its place.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 11:30:43 PM »
The new level 7 looks very much like level 1. I like this level in its own right though.

Level 8 can be solved easily by bashing out to the left and building up - with so many other skills available, I doubt this is the intended solution. It also contains a large backroute using a certain glitch (the first one on my list in the glitch thread).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 01:44:12 AM »
Well, that's okay.  I feel no need to go in to fix backroutes on those levels.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:48:19 PM »
NEW IDEAS:  This is sorta Mr. K's idea, but here goes:

100 lemming capabilities.
Don't know if it would work, though, but if it would, that would be great!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 11:11:54 PM »
Sorry to triple post, but the second pack is done!  epic02

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 12:18:04 AM »
I don't see any need to have 100 lemmings in a level. Anyway, I've quickly gone through the new pack.

1: Nice simple level. Very interesting possibility of a solution going via the left side of the map.
2: Too easy? This could go well at the start of the game, I guess.
3: I like the decoration. Check your trigger areas ;)
4: Again, check your triggers. A little heavy on the flamethrowers I think.
5: I found a backroute that saves 9 with a miner to spare, and without using the floaters, [edit: and two spare builders]. This can probably be fixed though.
6: I think this would be better if you removed the fake steel and had regular terrain in its place.
7: Fairly simple. I like it.
8: I don't like this one. Hidden exits have been done to death.
9: Interesting. The apparently obvious "outside route" doesn't work, and the actual solution doesn't reveal itself straight away.
10: Could use some decoration.

Re: trigger areas: You can only have 16 working triggers in one level due to limitations of the original game. Any objects placed beyond this will not have triggers, which leads to (among other things) lemmings falling through water instead of drowning. This is easy to fix - select all objects that don't need triggers (water that can't be reached, trapdoors, top part of exits), then cut and paste.

And my pack is now up to 9 levels. Look out :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 01:52:37 AM »
Could you PM me replays of these so I can find the problems you mentioned?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 03:00:33 AM »
Oops, level 5 didn't have a spare miner. I did have 2 builders spare though. I'll send the replays for 1 and 5 shortly.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 03:17:06 AM »
I believe these come with a .txt file, so you might want to include those.  It's worth a shot, as when I try to load the replays Lemmix spits out an error.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 09:12:48 AM »
I find the text files to be largely useless for working out what happens in a level replay. If you still can't get the replays to work then I can PM you a description of my solutions.

My first level pack for this project is done! There's a link to it in my sig, and I've explained it somewhat in the levelpack thread. Basically, you can solve each level in different ways, and they could tie in with my proposed scoring method if we decide to use that. Plus there is a challenge for each one :)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »
I would like to know what is the error of Lemmix. I could explain the structure of the .txt replay file, although you cannot do very much with it.