Author Topic: Lemmix Level Reviews  (Read 47428 times)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmix Level Reviews
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2009, 08:39:07 PM »
Ok, got your solutions. Of them 4 are what I'd consider "fairly different" backroute, though all but about one or two of them will be fairly trivial to fix.

Your solution to 7 was amazingly clever, btw.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2009, 10:28:09 PM »
I'm still trying to pass the first level in the pack.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2009, 03:00:07 AM »
I just played through ISteve10. Expect a PM with replays shortly  :)

Level 4 was my favourite too, though I also liked 9 (even though it's a bit long) and 2 (very simple and clever).

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2009, 05:09:10 AM »
I hate that 5 was so easy to backroute -- the intended solution is quite elegant in my opinion. 6 was expected, though.

I might make a "challenge" pack which highlights geoo's level 7 route and Clam's somewhat roundabout way to pass 9, among a couple other things I noticed.

Thanks to everyone who dled and played the pack -- if you're stuck on some of the levels, I'll release the solution .txt with the de-backrouted version of the pack.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2009, 10:36:05 PM »
Lm_set04
Level 1 - Creepy Tentacle Monster
UPDATE:  I think I found a way to do it.  I haven't tested it, but I think the best way to go about it would be to use a glitch to push the lemmings into the wall.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2009, 04:02:50 AM »
Ok, fixed most of the backroutes (I hope), except probably 6. I think 6 is hopeless but I don't know maybe I can put the intended trick in a level later.

I'll post the revised version very soon, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 have been altered to remove various backroutes.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »
Lm_set04
Level 1 - Creepy Tentacle Monster
UPDATE:  I think I found a way to do it.  I haven't tested it, but I think the best way to go about it would be to use a glitch to push the lemmings into the wall.

I didn't use that! ;P Anyway, I have a tougher version of this level if anyone wants it. I'll put it up in the custom challenges thread.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2009, 05:39:03 AM »
Ok, I revised the pack to remove some backroutes. I hope. At least, re-try 5, 6, and 7 if you didn't find the "real" routes in the past.

Also here's a text file with hints and solutions.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2009, 06:20:40 AM »
Heh... that reminds me of something, you had a website showing your level pack downloads and also, the hints and solutions to (almost) each one.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2009, 10:27:35 PM »
Is anyone interested in reviewing levels of any of my paks? Sorry if i'm naggy

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2009, 12:27:39 AM »
I'll review them.
What I will do for simplicity is back up and replace some packs in a LEMRMAKE directory.  Then run it in DOSbox (seeing as I don't want to reboot my computer to review).

Wait, where do I get the VGAspec for pack 3?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2009, 02:11:08 AM »
Here's the results so far:

joe01 - Level 1 - A fun start

Number of Lemmings:  50
To save:  25 (50%)
Release Rate:  10
Skills: No climbers or floaters, 20 of everything else.

Good:  Simple level for its place in the pack.  Nice design...
Okay:  ...although a little sloppy.  I hope "A fun start" refers to the difficulty level. :XD:  Plus, the part of the design that's there is decent looking, but for the rest,  :scared: another lack of decorative terrain.  Why is this always lacking in levels, both custom and official?
Bad:  Isn't very fun to play, not please with going back to grab stats.  It appears there's a 100% solution, but if it works, it's hard to pull off due to the water trigger areas.  Could have been avoided rather easily through better placement of terrain.

joe01 - Level 2 - The Crusher

Lemmings:
To save: 
40 (80%)
Release Rate:  20
Skills:  10 builders

Good:  The traps can be seen, so to anyone who has played Lemmings, it should be clear that it isn't just watch the lemmings enter the exit.
Okay:  Again, rather plain-looking.  Decorative terrain is generally a good thing.
Bad:  Gotta love misbehaving trigger areas, you can never tell what the highest altitude they're willing to strike at.  Although, this cannot be solved easily without severely changing the level.  This makes clearing the level, well, a little annoying the first time.  Solution is way too obvious, and the trapdoor sticking in the ceiling is ugly.
Note:  Sometimes a level's solution should be obvious, but this doesn't feel like one of those cases to me.  I can tell it's not backrouted, as well.  Is a backroute even possible with this skill set?

joe01 - Level 3 - An unhealthy option

Lemmings:  40
To save:  25 (62%)
Release Rate:  50
Skills:  20 builders, 10 bashers

Good:  Definately a nice looking level from the veiwpoint the game provides.
Okay:  The building isn't too bad, but it's slow.
Bad:   At first, it looks intimidating, but then you see the skillset.  Woah, that's easy!

joe01 - Level 4 - Another twist of lemming, please

Lemmings:  50
To save:  50 (100%)
Release Rate:  50
Skills:  1 climber, 50 floaters, 4 builders, 1 basher, 1 digger

*white flags level*
VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD:  Requires one to click on fifty lemmings, make a lemming dig really deep, taking at least a minute, and a basher must be told to go the right way in a really small space.  GAAAAAAAAAH!

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2009, 10:45:04 AM »
I'll review them.
What I will do for simplicity is back up and replace some packs in a LEMRMAKE directory.  Then run it in DOSbox (seeing as I don't want to reboot my computer to review).

Wait, where do I get the VGAspec for pack 3?

I had it with original Lemmings package. Want me to send to you?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2009, 11:22:56 AM »
another lack of decorative terrain.  Why is this always lacking in levels, both custom and official?

Decorative terrain takes time to make you know.  It's a choice of whether you want to spend more time on a level that's basically done, on something that doesn't actually have any impact on the level solution, or instead spending that time on your next level.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2009, 02:54:15 PM »
Original Lemmings package?  So, are you saying the VGAspec3.dat from the original lemmings game?  If not, send it to me.