Author Topic: Lemmix Level Reviews  (Read 47423 times)

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
Re: Lemmix Level Reviews
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009, 05:47:37 PM »
The steel glitch to which I was referring was the one that allows you to bash through the top 5 or so pixels of steel at the top of the screen. This allowed me to build directly to the exit as opposed to taking the intended long route around in Fired up my lonely friend?.
Remember, whether your levels "use" glitches or not, the glitches are still there. We can blame Psygnosis for that  :P
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »
Um...  Psygnosis?  I thought they were the publishers.  DMA Design made the game, didn't they?

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2009, 08:54:03 PM »
Um...  Psygnosis?  I thought they were the publishers.  DMA Design made the game, didn't they?

You're right, actually. :thumbsup:
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2009, 08:54:48 PM »
Anyway, I wonder when my second lemmings level pack will be reviewed. I changed one of my levels recently, because the unglitched backroute from my old level was so hard to get rid of, I wanted to replace the level completely. My second level pack file can be downloaded lm_set02.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2009, 08:50:16 AM »
Sure, I don't mind doing some more reviews. Here are my thoughts on lm_set02 (the new version), level by level:

1: The traps don't work because they're placed too high. (Don't you test these levels before uploading them?) Other than this it's a good quick level, and the % requirement is set just high enough to make you think a little.

2: Nice idea, but it's fairly easy to just bomb down do the exit at the start.

3: Again, the trap doesn't work. Fix that up and you've got a nice little challenge. This level has a nice simple visual design too.

4: Funny, but there's really not much to this level. With a different skill set you could make a good tricky level out of this.

5: An interesting take on the 1-of-each concept, but the intended solution stands out somewhat.

6: Very simple, standard block-and-release fare. The overlapping rocky pieces look quite messy.

7: Good take on an original level. Why 74 lemmings? (This doesn't really matter, but it's highly unusual.)

8: Deja vu indeed... I was just writing these reviews when you posted this very level in the Challenge thread. Anyway, fun little challenge but annoying to release the crowd with no arrow key select. (Unless you use the release rate to avoid this ;))

9: I like this one. Solution is fairly quick to execute, and the middle chain is a tough obstacle. The repeating brick pattern is a little plain though.

10: Solid multitasking level. Could be made a little more compact to make things quicker.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2009, 09:36:50 AM »
Oh dear. I intentionally built them all for Lemmini use. :-[ I tried my best to do it for Custom Lemmings use but I completely failed. :XD:

That's only for the first three levels. Anyway, the point about "Stolen Goods" is that there are a couple of things which are taken away from the level, "Have a Nice Day". The goods include:

Number of lemmings (Stole 6 out of 80)
Climbers (Stole 1 out of 2)
A missing left side platform
Time (Stole 2 minutes was it? I'll have another look)

I'm sure I took away more, but I created Level 7 because the solution was the first time I solved "Lemming Drops".

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2009, 09:45:30 AM »
Oh...

Do those traps work where they are in Lemmini? In any case, it's easy enough to fix.

Heh, stolen lemmings. I get it. :D

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2009, 07:12:08 PM »
OK: Which user is going to check out my 3rd level pack. Sorry, I'm being greedy here :P

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2009, 10:30:24 PM »
OK: Which user is going to check out my 3rd level pack. Sorry, I'm being greedy here :P

You look at mine, I'll look at yours  8)
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2009, 07:02:44 AM »
Yawg. All of your levels are really difficult! I couldn't solve any of them at such a high challenge. :( Glitches are the main reason why I don't prefer to play your levels. Sorry I seem to be so negative. :XD:

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2009, 06:22:40 PM »
Yawg. All of your levels are really difficult! I couldn't solve any of them at such a high challenge. :( Glitches are the main reason why I don't prefer to play your levels. Sorry I seem to be so negative. :XD:

That's why Clam Spammer's first four packs are really hard!  Those ones use glitches as well!  Although some of his glitch levels I think would be salvageable if the skill sets and lemming requirements would be changed...

Could be same with Yawg's glitch levels...  if they use glitches, anyways.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2009, 06:43:58 PM »

Actually, only one of the levels I've released so far uses a glitch, and its more of a by-product of the mechanic the solution exploits than anything. I'm glad you think my levels are difficult though, 'cas I intended them to be  8)

Rather than glitches, I prefer to center my puzzles around lesser-known game mechanics and creative combinations thereof.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2009, 11:19:52 PM »
That's why Clam Spammer's first four packs are really hard!  Those ones use glitches as well!  Although some of his glitch levels I think would be salvageable if the skill sets and lemming requirements would be changed...

It's been a while since I looked at ClamSpammer's levels, but I don't recall that many of them actually uses glitches.  There are many other ways you can create difficulty without using glitches, you know.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2009, 03:37:39 AM »
That's what Clam Spammer told me about his first four packs, anyways.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2009, 03:50:59 AM »
Looking back through my extensive catalogue (:P), I can only find two levels that specifically require glitches to be used in order to pass (well, it was supposed to be 3, but one of them turned out not to need it after all :(). A lot of my levels use tricks in the game mechanics that you don't usually see in the original levels, but not "glitches" as such.

I actually thought my levels were more "glitchy" than this :D