Author Topic: Lemmix Level Pack Topic  (Read 146763 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Re: Lemmix Level Pack Topic
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2012, 10:28:32 AM »
That's the place I originally downloaded my first time custom lemmings levelpack, Martin Zurlinden's awesome pack, but there are no more custom packs there?
Here's one site I found some time ago: http://lemcrazy370.tripod.com/stuff/level.htm
And here's one nice levelpack: http://darktreemedia.com/lemmings/
No idea what's with Garjen, I don't get virus messages and I've downloaded a lot of packs from there. :O

You played BulletRide's "The Underground Secret"? ;) I had lots of troubles with Bullet's levels last spring and I came back to them when I was more experienced. That level uses a trick, and when you master that trick, that helps you a lot in lots of other levels. The trick is so useful that you might even see all levels differently than earlier after getting use to it! That's what happened to me. ^^

It was exciting to find that solution for "Oh No, Not Again!", because I had some kind of an impression that that level is in generally considered in these forums to be one of the very hardest levels? No idea if that solution works in the Lix remake. :b I guess you are interested, so I made two other replays of tseug's levels. I saved one builder in Slipping, but the solution seems so obvious that I'd guess it has been found already. :D I also saved three skills in More Steel Works. But seriously, I don't want to take full honour of these solutions, they're based on ccexplore's solutions and I give full respect for him.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2012, 12:58:50 AM »
Nice work on those two! It’s still hard to understand what makes them so difficult, well any level really, because after you know the solution is seems so easy. Thanks for the advice on Bullet’s levels, you’re not kidding; its hard. Although, I should probably play Clam’s levels as I said I was going to play his a long time ago…

Anyway, I’m consolidating all of my levels into fewer packs, removing the levels that weren’t very good. I updated the database with “mobius1” (see link below) and removed all of “TM’s packs”. I also fixed them up a bit. It’s nothing really new for those who already played them. But after these two packs I will be making a new pack.
I also made a hints file for anyone whose interested which is included.

http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/list

Also, I will be uploading video replays of all my levels to youtube (see link below). And if anybody would like to see replays of any other level (of mine or anybody's) that way I'd be glad to do so. (If it's a level I solved already that is!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca8_M3M-6tg&list=PLwoqZdJfhD66NBD2gA8z5hW5jqxOEv_1I&feature=plcp

edit: also attached here just for convenience
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2012, 04:40:40 AM »
Hey Akseli,

you seem to be really active lately, and you're doing pretty awesome work! It's a bit unfortunate the level designing community is in a bit of a lull right now.

I myself haven't ever seriously done level editing stuff although that was my dream when I was a little kid, but nowadays when making levels is possible, I don't feel to have enough will and time for that, and I haven't get used to Lemmix editor for example. But I love to play other lemmings people's levels and I find it fun to review and talk people's levels, like I did very briefly about möbius' levels last July. Maybe it is ok to write that kind of stuff about different levelpacks in this topic and I'd like to do more that some time. :)
It can't hurt to try out designing a few levels, can it? :) I think the Lix level editor is quite a bit easier to get into than Lemmix. Level designing can be pretty fun and rewarding if you have some good ideas and people playing them. I think for a level designer, getting a review and discussion is the best thing that can happen. It lets you know there's someone appreciating your levels, and also give feedback what they like and what they don't, something to learn from. I know from myself that I immensely like reading someone's review on my levels, it's really rewarding. Definitely don't hesitate to review levels, I hope I'd find the time to join into discussions. Of course, reviewing levels from someone who's still active here would be nicest, but of course also levels by some other designer can be discussed.

This is one of my favourite topics in these forums and I'd like too that there would be more action here. Geoo's levels are the very hardest levels of the Lemmings Level Database for me, so take a look at them if you want some insane challenges. :P I've now played almost half of the levelpacks from the database and rated the difficulties for them, check those out. :D And I could also recommend some nice levelpacks with different difficulties and so!
From my old levels, some are pretty elegant, but some also rely on glitches a lot (and are near impossible if you don't know the glitches), so looking back at them with the additional experience in level design I gained over the years, I think the packs aren't too nice except for a couple of levels.

It's awesome you're playing so many levels and rating them. Don't be afraid to use the 'Fun' rating too, even though it's subjective of course. For me, there are way too many levels to play through by now, but there are probably some gems hidden there, so finding them is what the fun ratings could be pretty useful for. I sure don't mind recommendations either. :)

Actually, I originally registered to these forums when I found tseug's levelpack and I wanted to see solutions for those levels from Tseug's levelpack topic, so the same thing happened to me which happened to you: I watched ccexplore's replays of those levels last winter and I was like 'Whoaaah!!' but after that I decided that I would never again spoil my fun like that and I'll try myself to solve levels. That was then when I was just starting to play custom levels and so. :P But now later when I played Tseug's pack I passed "Oh No, Not Again!" quite trivially without using climber or floater and keeping RR the same all the time, replay attached.
Haha, I had the same experience with a different game called Supaplex. There was one amazing levelset which I watched the solutions to before seriously trying, and I remembered some of them later, so I regretted it and swore to myself to never do that again. So when I came to playing Lemmings, I didn't do the same mistake again. (I do watch challenge replays every now and then though, as there's way too many for me to ever do, and even though some solutions are pretty elegant, I feel that there's not someone else's level design idea intrinsic to them, so on average I think they are more technical and less elegant.) I have a clean slate here, not watching any replay before solving the level, and so far I think I've managed to solve every level I've seriously tried (except for ccx' Lix level Brickout, which I'll have to wait out on until the backroutes are fixed).

The solution you got to "Oh No! Not Again" happens to be the same one I found when I first solved the level. The difference is that it took me over a year to find it! I think ccx struggled with this one for quite a while too. We're still puzzled why it is so hard, because it seems so simple once you know the solution.

Hehe I beated that level like two months ago but it was a quite cunning level. ;) So möbius, your other levels are all for Lix? Maybe I should get more familiarised with Lix and play it more.
Lix has over 400 levels by now and counting, by RubiX, Clam, and from the community pack. What I think is remarkable about them is that they've been made with a lot of experience from designing previous levels. So I feel the levels we got for Lix now are of really good quality! I find the usability and customizability a bit better than in Lemmix too, and as I said I think the editor is a bit easier to use.

Then there's also Cheapo, for which a lot of good levels have been made too, including my alltime favourite levels set, Insane Steve's pack of 90 levels, which taught me how to play Lemmings at a high level. Really good difficulty curve, every level was challenging when I first played, but at the end I was a lot better at solving levels and some levels seem comparatively easy, looking back.
With the advent of Lemmix and now also Lix, Cheapo has fallen into oblivion though, no-one designs levels for it anymore, but there's still good levels to play.

By the way, does anybody know any lemmings level download sites other than the next ones?
I think you've listed all of the ones I remember off the top of my head. But I think I still have quite a bunch of levels lying around on my computer, some of which you'll probably already have, but probably also some that are hard to find by now, I remember Shvegait's, Ben Conway's or tumbleweed's for instance. I'm happy to dig through these a bit for you if you want and bundle them up; perhaps they could also be put on the levelpack database at some point, so everything is in one place and they could be rated.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2012, 08:03:34 PM »
well I solved Underground secret... but I'm worried it's a backroute. Since I didn't use the climbers or floater. And it wasn't particularly new to me, [creating steps using bashers] Although I admit, there aren't many levels where that is required.  I think I've only seen it really used in challenges.
One solution my level "too far to walk" uses it.  The title fits though doesn't it?

I attached a reply to look at. I'm guessing Bullet isn't here anymore? But you know the solution, Akseli so you can tell me  :)

edit: also just solved the next level
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2012, 01:06:38 PM »
Thanks geoo, your reply made my day! :) Actually I've already tried level designing a little and I've made two random levels but they aren't completed. The main thing was that I wanted to try how Lemmix level editor works, and I feel myself a little clumsy with it and it takes a lot of time to make even one single level from me. :P I downloaded Lix last summer and played the tutorials and some easiest levels, but I'm still so fond of original Lemmings graphics and the basic 8 different skill set so I haven't played Lix too much. That's why, if I want to design levels, at least at first I definitely want to do levels with Lemmings graphics, but I promise myself that I'd play Lix properly sometime and try its level editor, too. : )

I have Cheapo also in my computer and I've downloaded few levels for it. Again, I wanted to find out how Cheapo works, but I didn't get really excited of it. However, Insane Steve's Cheapo levels are something I absolutely want to play. A couple of months ago I've asked Steve to send me all his levels he can find from his computer and now he's been trying to collect those. :) I'm also interested in levelpack recommendations here. Ben Conway's and Tumbleweed's levels I've downloaded from Garjen, but I haven't heard of Shvegait's levels, so I'm interested to play those! Oh yeah, and some levels (although mostly same levelpacks than in the aforementioned sites) can be downloaded from this page in Lemmings Universe: http://www.lemmingsuniverse.net/lemedit.html

Möbius, both of your solutions are same than mine. ;) If you think about that basher midstroke-trick, it can be used in surprisingly various levels and places. For example, I used it in your TM2 - The Hard Way, is that the same level as "too far to walk"?

Very nice möbius that you put videos of your solutions in your Youtube channel. :) I don't know if BulletRide has ever been here, but he has an account in Lemmings Heaven (BulletRide) and in Youtube (BulletRidej). There hasn't been action in neither of those for years, though.

Also, it came upon my mind, that is it totally wrong if Lemmini level packs are discussed in this "Lemmix Level Pack Topic" as well? For instance, Gronkling's great levels from Lemmings Level Database are for Lemmini. And I'm very fond of some other stunning Lemmini packs, too, which I certainly want to review sometime!

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Yeah, some things in the Lemmix editor are a bit strange, but you get used to it at some point. It's a bit unfortunate that you cannot play levels generated in the Lix editor in Lemmix. It works vice versa though, as Lix supports the original L1 and L2 graphics. Of course you don't have to use the new skills in Lix, but I've grown quite fond of them by now. :) The new lix character has grown onto me as well by now and feels pretty authentic, even though I was a bit skeptical at first. Quite some time ago when Lix was still L++, it had the original lemmings character graphics, but by now it'd need quite a bit of adaptation of the bitmap to get these to work again.

Here are some Lemmix levelpack I found, which aren't on the levelpack database, and which I think you might not have played before: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43603680/lemmixlevels.zip
It's been a while since I played most of them, but I remember Leviathan's pack as pretty challenging (LEVIPAK, they use a few glitches here and there though), and shvgait's should be pretty good too, if I recall correctly (they are even older). Hubbart you might now, they are rather easy, but stand out through really beautiful looks. Weirdybeardy has most of his levels on the database, but the two in here I found that are not on there. Twigpack I don't remember, but I included it for completeness. STT03 is just a single level, but it's pretty tricky. It was the final level of some pack with mostly easy levels if I recall correctly, and due to that at some point we thought it was impossible. I just checked though that it is indeed possible.
I also have an assortment of individual levels, my level organization is a bit of a mess though. I upload the entire batch though if you want.

I remember back when BulletRide was on these forum (or a previous incarnation), and I had a lot of back and forth with backroute finding and backroute fixing with him. They are definitely really enjoyable and challenging. I haven't seen him in ages though. With Fleech/SgB the backroute back and forth was even worth. I think I have 10 versions of his levelpack. The first one actually contains 9 levels, while in the final one on the database only 5 remain. I'm not sure why exactly.

For cheapo levels, the ones I'd definitely recommend are Steve's levelset, obviously, Proxima/Michael's Preview sets, and Why Bother by the purpletraitor I think, which is a pretty unique set with interesting techniques. I got a lot more, even though I lost a bunch almost a decade ago in a crash. Tell me if you want me to send you what I've got.

The Lemmix/CustLemm level pack topic is a bit of a tradition, but I'm not even sure whether it's such an idea anymore to mingle all people's levels into a single topic. I think for discussing Lemmini levels, it might make sense to open a new topic, or even a specific topic for Gronklem's levels. There hasn't been too much interest in Lemmini on this forum (it was more of a lemmings heaven thing), so I haven't seen many levels for it, but I think I saw a bunch of nice ones, next to Gronklem's I also recall pieuw's. I'm not sure when I'd come around to trying Lemmini again, but having some recommendations to start with would be nice.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »
The extensions of Lix over L1-like behavior were mostly to make its multiplayer a better game. The project doesn't strive to be a replacement of Lemmix, their physics differ in lots of places. If you prefer a well-known and never-changing set of rules for singleplayer puzzles, then I encourage you to play L1-style levels in Lemmix.

Exporting Lix levels to Lemmix is a little difficult. L1-style levels must meet lots of restrictive criteria and need steel areas to be defined separately from the steel terrain. Even if there were an exporter that performs all obvious steps, there would still be a lot of work necessary in an L1-style editor to finish the conversion. I probably won't make this in the near future, also the demand seems rather low. The best idea is to remake the levels from scratch in Lemmix.

-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2012, 01:05:28 AM »
Also, it came upon my mind, that is it totally wrong if Lemmini level packs are discussed in this "Lemmix Level Pack Topic" as well? For instance, Gronkling's great levels from Lemmings Level Database are for Lemmini. And I'm very fond of some other stunning Lemmini packs, too, which I certainly want to review sometime!

oh no, Too far to walk is based off of a level by Pieuw (which is actually based off of another level by Zurlinden  :D). It’s basically a large block that you need to get through and looks very simple but there’s not enough time. One of the solutions (the trickier one) is to make a “basher staircase”.
Most of my levels from Lix are remakes or ‘remodels’ of levels I liked or that were deserving to get more attention. At the time a lot more people seemed interested in the levels there.

I’ve always wanted to look at Cheapo but never had the time. Generally if I can’t get it working/or find it in two minutes I give up because I’m a busy guy.  ;P

I like Lemmini too. Most of Pieuws levels are for Lemmini. It’s really nice that steel glitches are fixed. Unfortunately the difference in game-play however is annoying because you can’t get used to any one program; they are all different. If you’re playing fun levels it doesn’t matter; but as soon as you start getting to advanced stuff every little aspect of the game becomes important.
For example; there’s a glitch in Lemmini where if a basher is stopped by steel, either he moved backward slightly or something else and if there’s a drop he’ll fall. Look up a video by Pieuw called; “There’s rashness in the method”
But I do enjoy using Lemmini, if for nothing else, sounds and music and title screens.
If I could code I would make a Lemmings program of my own that would be customizable with options like highlight selected lemming under the cursor.
There are an abundance of certified computer smart people here but most of them seem to come and go and don't stay  :(

If you’d like to review a specific pack, try going to this topic:
http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=125.0

I posted here a while ago but nobody seemed interested to join. You can disregard my post, I reviewed Tseug’s level but it’s probably not a good pack to start with plus It’s not really fair that I looked at the solution instead of solving it. And I actually would kind of like to review Gronkling levels. He posted last there so if you want to we can talk about that one. I actually already wrote a review of the first level but since deleted it.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »
Thanks geoo for those levels! :) I had a quick look already of the LEVPAKs, I'll play the others too when I have time. And like I said, I want to get used to Lix and I want to take a proper look of it sometime. :)

I also have an assortment of individual levels, my level organization is a bit of a mess though. I upload the entire batch though if you want.

For cheapo levels, the ones I'd definitely recommend are Steve's levelset, obviously, Proxima/Michael's Preview sets, and Why Bother by the purpletraitor I think, which is a pretty unique set with interesting techniques. I got a lot more, even though I lost a bunch almost a decade ago in a crash. Tell me if you want me to send you what I've got.
Both sounds nice, I'm interested for all the levels which can be found. :P Thank you!

With Fleech/SgB the backroute back and forth was even worth. I think I have 10 versions of his levelpack. The first one actually contains 9 levels, while in the final one on the database only 5 remain. I'm not sure why exactly.
The 9-level pack can be found in The Lemmings File Portal. Fleech itself commented this level decreasing thing on the first page of this topic (Reply #7). :b

I like Lemmini a lot. Sounds, music, directional select, prettier graphics, opportunity to add levelpacks to the "Select Level" menu which shows the levels and also the ratings in the packs, how the player gets access to the next level beating the previous one (no need for levelcodes) and title/winning screens are all issues which I really appreciate in Lemmini. Furthermore, there are extremely good Lemmings level makers who have made levels for Lemmini: In addition to Gronkling and Pieuw, Lacktardo and Dodochacalo are also absolutely among my all time favourite level makers.

What I like in Lemmix: More authentic gameplay, easier use of replays, no lagging like in Lemmini and then these little tricks, savestates, frame by frame replay and game jumps. Both Lemmini and Lemmix has glitches/tricks which don't appear in the other game engine. Lemmix glitches are well-known here due to Clam Spammer's great topics of glitches and tricks, but there are just astonishing glitches in Lemmini whose existence I hadn't a slight idea before getting to know of Gronklems6-levelpack. At the moment I've been helping Gronkling to remove backroutes of that levelpack, which is ... very hard!

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 05, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »
Thank you for the nice comments. ^u^

I have the opposite problem than most people with which I'm too used to lemmini so I'm absolutley terrible at lemmix. I can't get used to the weird steel glitches or full screen and the pause/replay feature, so I can't really contribute to a lot of discussion about it. Also it's fun finding glitches that nobody else knows about; lemmini has some incredibly odd ones, usually to do with one pixel walls/gaps.
If you play lemmini I would definately reccomend both pieuw's and dodochalo's packs and lacktardo's levels on youtube. They haven't been released yet though you can find a few of his levels in the lemmings heaven contests which are all great, especially Technoir.
I've started work on my 7th pack as well, which so far seems to be even harder than number 6 (you can have them before I release the whole thing if you message me).

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 05, 2012, 06:51:10 PM »
But now that I won't get too off-topic to Lemmini, shall we go straight to the point. I played levelpacks möbius1 and möbius2, and I've attached my solutions for those here! Here are some comments of möbius' levels.

I really liked that these packs include hints files, they remind me of Insane Steve's good old hint sheets. There are also those difficulty ratings, and in my opinion, it's always fun to define and compare difficulties. Now that the solutions are on Youtube, it's very simple to watch them from there, so the walkthrough isn't needed to be wrote down. Hopefully nobody still doesn't get tempted to watch the solutions before trying properly to beat the levels. I myself haven't dare to watch the solutions yet, these attached solutions are purely my own. Most of the levels were familiar for me from the earlier TM packs, even though some of the levels has been changed a little.

I already commented some levels here. My solution for "The Exit Is Right There!!" didn't work anymore since the miner had been taken away, but I found now more elegant solution for this. Ouch Me Head is now much more nicer crowd control puzzle than the previous 50-builder version of it. My solution for The Italian Job was the same than earlier, but now I had to use one builder at the beginning due to terrain modification. The other "old" levels I beated like earlier, except Exit, Stage Right, which has been modified freshly.

The levels in which I used all the skills were Askesis, The Picard Maneuver Part 1 and Love and Hard Times. It's great that there are extra skills which can either make the execution of the solution more convenient or then even confuse the player when they aren't needed. Some level makers put in their level only the precise amount of essential skills, so this is neat variability. Levels look rather good, and it makes me happy when all 9 graphics sets are used equally, so there aren't used only a couple of different tilesets, which would make playing a levelpack little dull to my mind. Also, centering levels is a little aesthetics issue, but for me it would look nice if the levels are in the middle of the map. Lemmings in Arms, Ouch Me Head and The Italian Job aren't centered (some other could be more accurate, too) but really, this is a minor issue.

I think I backrouted most of the levels, perhaps notably "The Exit is Right There!!" "Eye of the Needle" and "Conundrum". When I play a level for my first time, I always try to approach it starting with the most simplest solution, and then proceeding to more and more complicated solutions. Especially "Conundrum" was a level in which the simplest solution worked and I passed it immediately. The difficultiest level for me was The Picard Maneuver Part 2, which I had to try well over half an hour. My solution contains pixel precise skill assignments here.

Overall I had fun with all these levels, there were a lot of crowd controlling in various ways and no one level used only one hero lemming in its solution. The level which I missed most from your earlier packs was In my time of dyin' which I remember to be quite fun multitasking. This is the first time when I got to play new levelpacks, tell my opinion about those and attach my solutions here on the forums. Great fun, yeaah! I hope that you like my solutions and find those helpful, möbius.

- - - - -

I noticed that Gronkling replied while I was writing. :b Gronkling seems to know more about Lemmini game mechanics than anybody else I know, and it can be seen especially in his newest levels. They who likes to play with Lemmini, Gronkling's levels are certainly worth of trying. =)

Mod Edit: Restored attachments.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:42:47 PM by Prob Lem »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »
I like Lemmini a lot. Sounds, music, directional select, prettier graphics, opportunity to add levelpacks to the "Select Level" menu which shows the levels and also the ratings in the packs, how the player gets access to the next level .....

how do you do this? I tried once but got an error message then it made me reload the WINLEM files again.  ???
Correction:
It always says; “missing “levelpack.ini” Well, so far, I haven’t found that anybody who uploaded a ini levels folder included that file with them.
Can someone include this please? Do I have to make that file myself? If so how? help!  :D

Once I get this working I'll start using Lemmini more often then maybe I'll make a glitch thread dedicated to it.

Also, how do you make INI files?? Is it with Lemmix? I couldn't even find a place with info on this.

============I'm going to ask this in help, so forget about it here for now=======

------------------
thanx for all the comments.

I think I backrouted most of the levels, perhaps notably "The Exit is Right There!!" "Eye of the Needle" and "Conundrum". When I play a level for my first time, I always try to approach it starting with the most simplest solution, and then proceeding to more and more complicated solutions. Especially "Conundrum" was a level in which the simplest solution worked and I passed it immediately. The difficultiest level for me was The Picard Maneuver Part 2, which I had to try well over half an hour. My solution contains pixel precise skill assignments here.

I think you did! Some of them don’t really matter however. I was able to fix two backroutes to mobius2. But two others are difficult. I’ll have to work on them for a while. And they do need to be fixed, the intended solution to Conundrum and Picard Maneuver part 2 are unique and quite difficult. Proxima invented the one for the latter. Although, I'm not sure about Picard2, your solution might actually be harder. As you said it's pixel precise. The intended is not. But Conundrum definitely has to be fixed.

your solution to Eye of the needle was very tricky! I fixed it by adding a steel block to prevent bombing the edge of the platform.

Jacob’s Ladder had a backroute however, that was solved by simply getting rid of 1 builder. I’ll update all of these to the portal eventually.

I hope they don't watch the solutions first either, but that’s they’re choice. I haven’t done that at all since watching Tseug’s replays, which was a long time ago. Actually I’m very strict on myself now, if I see “spoiler” alert for anything; puzzle, TV show, whatever, I run away and hide.

I’m currently working on Mobius 3 which will be mostly totally new levels. Another reason I’d like to use Lemmini is because I’m a little tired Lemmix crashing and glitching often.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2012, 03:15:57 AM »
Both sounds nice, I'm interested for all the levels which can be found. :P Thank you!
Sorry for taking so long, but here are the archives.

Messy bunch of Lemmix levels: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43603680/levs.7z
All my Cheapo stuff (brings back memories): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43603680/cheapo.7z

I never really played Lemmini, I don't know, it has always felt a bit clunky to me, especially the controls. So I prefer Lemmix and especially Lix now.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2012, 05:48:50 PM »
Wow, so many Lemmings levels. :o

Thanks a lot geoo! :thumbsup: Now I got excited about cheapo also, I already played over a half of the Steve's notebook sets. :) Great!

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 19, 2012, 07:49:28 PM »
Alright, some people might have noticed that many levelpacks in the Lemmings Level Database have got difficulty ratings. I've been playing packs through and here are numbers of difficulty ratings at the moment:

Levelpacks in total: 207
Rated: 176
5 stars: 21
4 stars: 21
3 stars: 43
2 stars: 66
1 star: 25
Not rated: 31

Some notes in general:
- While playing through these packs, I tried to follow the ideas presented here. I used roughly my latter rating scale.
- I'm not interested in playing the unrated levelpacks in the near future, they look... well, builder heavy and such. :P (Except PSP levels, I'm definitely going to play those when Luis will get his packs in a permanent state and won't update those all the time! ;P) Instead of that I'll probably try levels which I haven't passed yet from the rated packs for getting more precise evaluation of the difficulty of those packs (although they're certainly 4-5 stars).
- The easiest task of course was to rate the very hardest levelpacks 5 stars and the very easiest ones 1 star. I also think some levelpacks between those fit very well in their own category, but then of course there are many packs I can't properly decide whether it would be 3 or 4 stars, for example.
- There are lots of packs which have levels with various difficulties (like from fun to mayhem) and in completely random order. These packs were the most annoying to rate, and I think most of them fell to 2 or 3 stars category.
- I haven't alone myself rated all the levelpacks. For example, Giga's "Lemmings platinum Dangerous Part 1" has 3 votes for the difficulty rating, and the result is a compromise of me and the other voters.
- Now when I have a quite good view of the whole difficulty scale of the levelpacks in the Database, I might do some little difficulty changes here and there, as I've done already during this process.

52% of the rated levelpacks have 1 or 2 stars at the moment. Some notes:
- I actually played the harder packs of the Database at first, like Yawg's, Clam Spammer's and such, after reading originally some recommendations here. When I gave my first ratings in the Database, most of the packs got 4-5 stars. After that the vast majority of packs was a lot easier.
- I can fiddle around with the difficulties now afterwards and try to equalise the amounts of different ratings to some extent, but I think also that there aren't needed to be too accurately equal amount of every rating, like 35 five stars packs, 35 four stars packs etc.
- Actually there's already some variation in levelpack difficulties inside a certain difficulty rating, and this can be discovered especially in packs with 1 or 5 stars. If I'll increase the amount of 1 and 5 stars packs closer to the amount of medium difficulty packs, the difficulty scales inside those 1 and 5 stars packs would expand radically. That's why I'd maybe like to see less 1 and 5 stars packs and little more differently rated packs.

Anyway, I really enjoy giving my opinions about levelpack difficulties and this process has been very fun. And of course it would be nice if I've helped some Lemmings Level Database users around the world to find now easier and quickier levelpacks to suit their difficulty taste. :)

About the enjoyability/fun rating, I might rate only those packs which are my favourites. I don't want to rate anybody's pack with few stars, so if I'll someday use enjoyability ratings, I'll use it less than difficulty ratings. :)