Author Topic: Lemmix Level Pack Topic  (Read 146804 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmix Level Pack Topic
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
Since the levelpack archive has died again, I should repost my Xmas pack - permanently this time. For what it's worth :P

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2011, 07:08:21 AM »
bump because why not

I want a gauge of how hard this level I wrote not long ago is, I think it's one of the more difficult ones I've designed but I don't like the precision required to pass it

what say you?

edit: go down one reply that level has the correct steel areas
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2011, 08:34:14 AM »
Well, I think it's silly that you forgot to put in the steel areas. ;P

I'll get back to you once I actually manage to solve the less silly version of the level.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »
Well, I think it's silly that you forgot to put in the steel areas. ;P

I'll get back to you once I actually manage to solve the less silly version of the level.

oops, let me fix that

level is not meant to be quite that silly
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2011, 10:13:27 AM »
Solved it, and it actually didn't take me too long to figure (I guess I'm familiar with the techniques used here already). Assuming my solution is the intended one, the first precision move is still ok (at least with savestates; I dunno without, it's not too far from the beginning and you can try to remember the positions). However the last part to the exit is just horrible to do, even with savestates. You could cut it down to use that trick only a very few times, and allow to sacrifice more than just one blocker.
The steel placement is also a bit wonky. I think it only needs to be aligned by 4, not by 8.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2011, 11:34:41 AM »
Ah, so that's how the last part play out.  I had considered using those skills, but the obvious mental picture of what happens led me to think you'd wound up with a trail of unsavable lemmings; didn't see it could actually play out that way instead like in your solution. :thumbsup:

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2011, 12:51:05 PM »
Having played around with executing the key concept a little more, here's an observation:

Quote from: spoiler
I find that if you are provided more blockers, so that you can proceed less efficiently but keeping the blockers close together (ie. pretty much as close as the game would allow), it actually seems to become a little easier to execute.  Though unfortunately, thanks to the alignment of blocker fields, this only works best when you started mining in particular x positions (though the nice positions repeat every 4 pixels horizontally, so your luck is not too bad, and you can tell after a few moves whether you started at a good position or not).

Just my personal experience, your mileage may vary.

Nonetheless, overall I have to agree with geoo, it's nicer concept on paper than it is to actually execute. :-\ There are ways to make it less painful, but doing so also tend to water down the overall effect somewhat.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2011, 11:20:03 PM »
Yea, geoo's solution is the intended one, and I'll probably cut down the number of iterations of the last step when I revise it. I was surprised you got the first part so fast -- I don't think I've seen it used in a level before.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2011, 12:02:42 AM »
It's already been a while since I played these levels, but let me comment on ClamSpamXmas10 and gronklems2 anyway:

Clam's levels show off a couple of interesting techniques that can likely also be useful for doing challenges. The solutions are not that difficult to find, but the underlying ideas are nice. Execution is a bit difficult at times though (Wall hacks especially). I kinda like those builder placement puzzles, but I preferred Builders' Cracks over this one, as it was more, well, puzzly. ;)

I didn't find the first 7 levels of gronklems too difficult, though I liked the first one quite a bit and the third one for its simplicity. Not sure whether my solution to Scaffolding is the intended one, as it's pretty short.
#9 was a nice placement puzzle, as I guess is #10, but my solution to the latter feels a bit glitchy.
#8 Had me tricked for quite a while, in the end I came up with a rather nice solution though, I wonder what's the intended one.

My solutions are attached:

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
You backrouted all my levels apart from the second and third one.   :D
The solution for level four is a lot better than the intended one. I'll get you a replay of level eight soon.

I've also just finished just finished my fourth level pack but it's lemmini only again. I might convert the levels that actually work in lemmix to lvl format for you though.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2011, 08:46:02 PM »
Are Lemmix packs incompatible with custlemm or something? It's just that I don't have windows in order to use lemmix....

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »
This is the origin of why it's called the "Lemmix" level pack topic:

Custlemm is largely a thing of the past, so now it's the Lemmix levelpack topic. Hope you're not too upset by this (I can change it back if you really want  :()

;P

That said, Lemmix supports non-CustLemm formats such as Lemmini, so some levelpaks are playable in Lemmix but not in CustLemm, but most should work fine in both.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2011, 01:41:06 AM »
Finally got around to putting my levels together into a pack: http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/agpsZW1taW5ncy0zchALEglMZXZlbFBhY2sY8S4M/

Some of these (specifically, Crystal Village and The Great Outdoors) probably aren't worth playing in anything without a fast-forward button because I'm horrible at level design. One of these days I'm going to find a way to disable that feature in Lemmix or something.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2011, 12:07:19 AM »
I had a got at your levels, and enjoyed it for most part. I fear I backrouted a bunch of them though. (Yeah, Crystal village was pretty lengthy, and my solution is just plain brute force, which usually works if you got plenty of skills. The Great Outdoors was short though :P)

Favourite two are definitely "With all Deliberate Speed" and "Unidentified Lemming Object". For the former I tried various things before I got them all up within the time limit. The latter required to conserve builders, and not ignore the walls (which I did at first ;)). The amount of Lemmings to save it really well chosen, and I also like overall design of the level a lot.

Offline Nortaneous

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »
Ball Pit: Intended solution. There's a backroute, though (finlay found it a while back), but I doubt I'll bother to fix it.
City of Satan: Backrouted hard, but my intended solution reeks of backroute (depends on some rather tricky timing) so I don't have much of a problem with backroutes here. I might move that chain, though.
Crystal Village: Oh wow, that's an embarrassing backroute. I'm definitely going to fix that.
Lem Dunk: Close enough; I made that when I was like 12, so the intended solution has been long forgotten and even I solve it a different way each time. The bit with the diggers in the pillar under the entrances was clever, although the digging on the bricks at the bottom was part of one of my solutions. And you don't need to dig to build to the exit.
Prison Break: Oh, for the... I guess this is what I get for not knowing any glitches. I doubt I'll fix that one, especially since that part should be easy enough to figure out without glitches anyway.
The Crusher: Close to intended.
The Great Outdoors: The most tedious intended solutions get the worst backroutes. Another one that I'll definitely fix.
The Limit: Pretty close to the intended solution. (I will also admit that I really don't like this level, and if I redo the pack, I'll probably nuke it.)
Unidentified Lemming Object: Good thing I have another puzzle in here, because I'd feel like even more of an idiot for leaving in a way to backroute around the originally intended puzzle. Although, come to think of it, I really don't think there's a way to pull off the intended puzzle without a backroute at all. Also, it's possible to get 98%.
With All Deliberate Speed: Better than the intended solution, although I might take it out anyway. :P

So yeah, you backrouted six of them, and I know of a backroute for one more. As if it weren't already obvious enough that I'm really bad at this game.

Some attempts at fixing backroutes:
CRYSTAL2.LVL = Crystal Village
GRASS2.LVL = The Great Outdoors
HELL2.LVL = With All Deliberate Speed