Author Topic: Lemmix Level Pack Topic  (Read 146810 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Lemmix Level Pack Topic
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »
Yea, definitely put A place to climb in there, that's a good level.

Well, it's already there in the first set: Level 7 is where you find it.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2009, 10:13:33 PM »
I played a few of them, beaten 2-6 of set 1 so far, here's replays of all but 2 because I forgot to get it.

1.4 seems a LOT (like, exactly) like a level I made a while back   :-\
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2009, 05:49:57 AM »
1.4 seems a LOT (like, exactly) like a level I made a while back   :-\

Argh! Wishful thinking, it does! It is one of my favourite challenges out of your levels, which makes me want to start a new topic.

You haven't done Level 1 yet? Here's a solution I intended:

Quote from: Spoiler
Let lemming 1L climb left. Build over the gap. After he crosses the steel dig a little bit the mine to free the lemmings from the right side. Inside the miner's tunnel let someone mine left and bash when under the steel (This saves the left side). Now build a stair to the left to cross the 2nd miner's gap, and this will get all of them to the exit.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2009, 02:11:58 AM »
I still must ask how you can make the Tentacle Monster level any harder.  :P

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2009, 07:18:26 AM »
The original level had 2 each skill with 8 builders. The new and improved level had cut a builder and a basher. The blockers and bombers kept the same value, but all the others disapppeared.

When I created the possible ONML remake I placed these levels so that they alternate between brick or snow to rock or bubble, just like the Tame levels. I would keep some of the old ones in there, apparantly.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2009, 02:34:42 AM »
Continuing from a discussion in the review game topic. I'm posting this here since it's relevant to my own levels.

I've come to realise that bomber timing that's intended to add difficulty to a level just ends up being annoying. I played my level "The Endless Steps" just now (in L++, since I was curious to see how my levels play with different mechanics), and it was painful. Previously, I responded to complaints about bomber timing by saying:

Yes, it's bomber timing. Learn to live with it. It's not like a single mis-timed bomber is going to force a replay anyway - there's plenty more bombers to cover your mistakes.

The problem is, the nature of the terrain on this level is such that if you put a bomber in the wrong spot and it explodes just after falling off a step, you need to time at least two bombers right to fix the problem. So what I might do is change the skillset so that you get enough skills to help with the timing on every bomber, but not blockers (or builders, miners, bashers...) since that would make it too easy. What I propose is:

Remove the blockers, and give 10 diggers instead.

What do you think?

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2009, 03:38:09 AM »
A couple more minimac level replays, one for the windmill (one of the best levels in the packs imo, it's challenging but not too challenging) and one for a level that just seems like this is too easy for the skillset given.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2009, 06:44:58 PM »
I finally got some time to look into minimac's ONML sets (well, only the first one for now), and I'm pleasantly surprised. Right the first level took me a few minutes to find the solution, and is, together with 'The Crystal Walls' and 'A place to Climb', my favourite one of them. There are quite a few more puzzles similarly as good, like 'A big boot', and only a few that I didn't find that interesting. The last one didn't look too interesting at first sight, but then turned out to be quite a bit more difficult than expected.

In case you're interested, I got replays for my solutions to all 16 levels.

I'll sure have a go at part 2 & 3 when I find some more time.

To Clam: I didn't find that level too bad when playing in Lemmix, but I'm pretty certain I used savestates there. Diggers seem to be a decent solution for that issue, only the final drop can be done differently with them.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2009, 07:27:04 AM »
I have a nasty backroute in my level "An alternative route" I'll upload the new version of the third set later on.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2009, 02:12:20 AM »
While I haven't been terribly active here in the past month or two, I have tried to keep up with the comings and goings, and I've noticed a disappointing dearth of new levels (not to downplay the people that have kept up releasing). So I just thought I'd maybe give this thread a kick and let you guys know I'm about two levels shy of my next level pack. I've put a couple of the levels up for troubleshooting and feedback in the past, and put a LOT of revision and time into this one, so hopefully it won't be quite the backrouted disaster several of my older packs were.

tldr; I'm still actively interested in lemmings, and I have a new pack in the works.
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »
Finally got Yawg06 together...check it out and let me know what you think! It will probably be the last pack I release for quite awhile, as I'm planning on reworking existing levels and possibly pursuing some style-change remakes of original levels. Anyway, let me know what you think if you take the time to try these levels out. A couple are what I would consider throwaway levels (the first one, namely  :-[) but I think there might be a couple gems in there as well. Enjoy!

Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2009, 11:47:54 PM »
I've built another Xmas pack to celebrate the festive season. I wanted to make a full pack of 10 levels this time, but I'm right off Lemmings at the moment, so you get a mini-pack of 4 levels again. :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2009, 02:23:02 AM »
I've had a go at Yawg's latest pack, every now and then a few levels whenever I had some spare time, and finally finished them all. The fact that it took me that long is not solely to be attributed to me not having that much spare time; the levels are also pretty challenging!

I have to say apart from the interesting solutions, the levels are also visually very pleasing. Especially 'Mass Lemmicide' and 'Duality' both look downright amazing, while I'm used to rather ugly looking brick style levels.
However these two are not only nice looking, but also feature pretty nifty solution elements. The blocker placement in 'Mass Lemmicide' is rather evident, but in addition to this there are a few more tricks to find. I ended up with a builder to spare, but I'm pretty certain it is supposed to make on part in the solution more convenient to execute. Despite really loving 'Catch 22' with its clean design and well executed main idea (as already stated upon its initial release), I dare say 'Mass Lemmicide' is my favourite level of this pack. 'Catch 22' also has that little downside of the tight time limit making the solution only work after some trial-and-error release rate tweaks (unless there's some cleaner way around this which I haven't found yet). 'Duality' might possibly be somewhat more open-ended solution-wise due to the higher amount of overall skills, but it took me quite some thought to work out a solution, which ended up using a few non-standard tricks. I wonder what the intended solution might be...

After my personal top-3, now a few notes on the other levels:
'Serendipity' seemed a bit too trivial considering the overall difficulty of the pack; I suspect having found a backroute there.
I think I got a different solution to 'Niche' this time, which took surprisingly few tries to execute. Despite the general idea being rather evident, there's still the details to work out, which are not immediately obvious.
'Tilt' had me stumped for a while with the actual solution being conceiled pretty well. It required a lot of precising and timing in the end though, which I didn't like about it.
'Turn it around' required to be saved 0/40 lemmings, obviously a mistake. I assume you are supposed to save all lemmings there.

I sent you my solutions via PM.
Overall a really enjoyable and challenging pack, which I'd recommend to play for experienced players.

Also had a short glance at ClamSpammer's XMas pack, the first level was the only one I managed to solve at once. Will have a proper look at the other three when I get some more time.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2009, 05:28:44 PM »
Even if theres are original
Thank minimac for making these
Genesis level
http://www.youtube.com/user/GigaLem

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2009, 08:03:02 PM »
Thanks for the awesome review and the replays geoo! I sent you the intended solutions and some notes on each level.