Author Topic: Lemmix Level Pack Topic  (Read 148854 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Lemmix Level Pack Topic
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2009, 08:28:03 PM »
This is my new level pack.  Only the first 6 levels are certain to work, so I need to test the last 4.  I forgot to load 'em up in CustLemm first.

There have been errors in the pack, but they have been fixed now.  Here's a quick way to tell your version.  Look at Level 8 (Overlooking Something?).  If the trapdoor is high up (high enough for a splat start) you have the old version.  In the new version, the trapdoors are much lower.
http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=144

Need help or wondering if your solution is a backroute?
Level 1 - Quick Review
Make the first lemming a climber and a floater.  After clearing the big obstacle, make him a basher at the rough wall.  Build at the edge, and use digging tools (bashers, diggers, and miners, bombers are less reccomended but usable) to get through the last obstacles.

Alternate solutions backroutes?  No.
Level 2 - You can't get through the steel!
Make the first lemming bash at the wall, then use a builder when you are past all the steel.  Now have a lemming dig, and make it build to stop it after a while, and bash to the exit.

Alternate solutions backroutes?  No.
Level 3 - Pillars in Space!
Make the first lemming a floater, and use builders to get up to the top to save the lemmings.  Use of builders in fairly straightforward, if you didn't know, you can build up to the exit to make it usable.  It may be possible to get the floater stuck in a wall, and to make it a climber, although I am not sure whether this will be faster or not.  Either way is acceptable.

Alternate solutions backroutes?  Yes.
Level 4 - Death and Dying all Around
Make the first lemming a floater.  When he is moving left, make him a builder under the trapdoor to negate the splat start.  Now make a lemming a bomber to explode a hole through the ground.  Bash through the wall, and assign 1 lemming a climber.  Bash through the bricks (you may want to build up to the wall a little first), then build to the exit.  Assign four lemmings climbers, and make them blockers in the appropriate places (where lemmings cannot get up by them selves).  There should be one blocker per block too large for lemmings to step up to.  Make sure they are on top (see attached screenshot).  Make them bombers to free the rest of the lemmings. Note that it is a splat start in both Custom Lemmings and DOS Lemmings.

Alternate solutions backroutes?  Yes, UNLESS they contain a majority of the solution elements.

Blah blah blah, on the next levels, the focus is mainly to find a route using the skills given, so any route that works is okay.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2009, 08:37:50 PM »
That reminds me of something: On the lemmings file archive all level packs are used for Custom lemmings. Personally, I don't like that idea anymore. I wish that the level pack downloads were split into different categories like: Levels which are specifically used for Oh No more lemmings graphics or Holiday lemmings.

If the LFA hoster (Not sure who it is) would propose something like this, I would be able to put some more of my levels on the archive without having to do it the long way.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2009, 08:41:17 PM »
Oh yeah, before anyone says anything about those levels in my pack, I'm working on the list of what's a backroute and what's not.  Some levels in this pack are supposed to have multiple solutions.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2009, 09:14:12 PM »
That reminds me of something: On the lemmings file archive all level packs are used for Custom lemmings. Personally, I don't like that idea anymore. I wish that the level pack downloads were split into different categories like: Levels which are specifically used for Oh No more lemmings graphics or Holiday lemmings.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean.  Are you referring to level packs that need to be played in the ONML program rather than CustLemm, because it uses ONML's graphics set numbering rather than CustLemm's?  (eg. Brick is set #0 rather than #5)  The rest of this post assumes this interpretation.

I think it was like that because most levelpacks are set up for Custom lemmings to begin with, for the obvious reason that Custom Lemmings had been set up to offer all 9 graphics sets together, and the ordering of levels in the levelpack translates directly to the order they will be played in the actual game.

Remember that before the days of Lemmix, if your levelpack is to be played in DOS Lemmings, ONML, or Holiday Lemmings rather than in CustLemm, you can't just copy the levelpack file directly to one of the levelXXX.dat or dlvlXXX.dat files.  Well you can, but people will have a hard time finding your levels, because in those games, consecutive levels usually don't fall into the same levelpack file (eg. Fun 1 and Fun 2 are stored in different files).

So really, you should be designing your levels from the outset with CustLemm's graphics set numbering, so that they can be played most easily by everyone.  Don't assume everyone use Lemmix.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2009, 09:37:45 PM »
(eg. Fun 1 and Fun 2 are stored in different files)

While they're not side-by-side in the file, they are both in LEVEL009.dat, along with all the other training levels. For the most part though, consecutive levels are separated.

At any rate, converting a level made for ONML to run in Lemmix/Custlemm isn't difficult. All you need to do is change one byte in the .lvl file. (Specifically, take byte 0x001B and add 5 to the number there.)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2009, 09:47:11 PM »
URGENT!  Level 8 in my pack doesn't work.  I have a splat start where a splat start should not be.  Until I get to fixing it, lower the trapdoors before playing.

issue has been fixed.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2009, 11:58:07 PM »
Think you can a remake pillars in space it looks more of a wtf level
sry dullstar

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2009, 12:25:28 AM »
It is a wtf level. He posted it in another thread earlier. (And I know which level he made it from too ;))

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean.  Are you referring to level packs that need to be played in the ONML program rather than CustLemm, because it uses ONML's graphics set numbering rather than CustLemm's?  (eg. Brick is set #0 rather than #5)

Exactly right. ;)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2009, 08:52:08 PM »
It is a wtf level. He posted it in another thread earlier. (And I know which level he made it from too ;))

I forget if I mentioned this, so Clam Spammer, let's see if you know.  What level is it?
HINT:  I used this basic template two times in my first two packs, epic01 and epic02, but whether they were in the same or different packs I do not remember.  There were minor differences between the templates of the levels, though.

Also, all the errors in Dstar01 I know of are fixed.  There may be some remaining though!  BUt all the ones that make the levels impossible are gone.  And now "There are many ways to go" has multiple solutions like it should!

If you have downloaded the level pack before the time of this post, you have an outdated version!  I will repost the download link!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=144

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2009, 11:13:43 PM »
I forget if I mentioned this, so Clam Spammer, let's see if you know.  What level is it?

spoiler, highlight to read: "Attack of the killer toddlers". First level of epic01.

By the way: even though this isn't a normal level, may I suggest putting steel objects over any steel terrain that comes up when you switch tilesets?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2009, 10:13:09 PM »
Never crossed my mind.

Think you can a remake pillars in space it looks more of a wtf level
sry dullstar

I think he's saying that it looks like a WTF level.  Anyways, Giga, I might remake it in my personal fangame (without as much decoration, I'm afraid, I'm trying to make smaller levels that would work even in Genesis limitations).

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2009, 01:44:36 AM »
Good point dull star ;)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2009, 04:36:57 PM »
I'm pleased we have this thread to post levels for Lemmix use, rather than having to start a brand new topic. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I have created a great big bunch of new levels suitable for Oh No More lemmings graphics because I was thinking of an ONML remake, with the difference being new levels. I know some people downloaded "A place to climb" but I'm wondering, should I be putting this level in a level pack along with the others? I've improved on some of my older levels. The exit for "Paid for stamina" and the trap for "The squeeze machine" now work, and I made a harder version of "The creepy tentacle monster".

So, here we go then. 38 new (and old, some fixed) levels specifically designed for ONML graphics only. All glitch free. Set 3 is considered to be the most difficult of the lot. I've finally noticed a backroute in the Booby trap. I'll post a replay in the Custom level review game (I will ask you why later).

Edit: I've made "Two piping rounds" in the third set more difficult by taking away a builder, a minute and also, you need 100% now. This should get rid of another solution. PM me for any comments for any level.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2009, 07:25:47 PM »
Hahaha, this is awesome, because I'm planning an Original Lemmings remake (with new tutorial and Fun-style levels) myself. Of course the later levels will be my earlier stages or Lemmings 1 remakes of the ONML set levels I have.

Yea, definitely put A place to climb in there, that's a good level.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano