Author Topic: Lemmix Level Pack Topic  (Read 146796 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Lemmix Level Pack Topic
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2009, 10:26:58 AM »
YES no dirt/rock/snow levels from me EVER

Oh, come on... :P By the way, you're more interested in the brick and marble sets aren't you? I'll give you a challenging snow level right here.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2009, 11:38:28 AM »
I think you missed the point.  Insane Steve isn't saying it's impossible to create good levels without straight pieces, just that he can't (as in, it's difficult for him).  I definitely understand this since looking at the few "levels" I recently made in the level design game, you'll notice how I too had tend to use lots of straight terrain pieces--in fact, practically lines lots of times.

It kinda makes sense if you're building a level based on ideas of various paths you want your lemmings to take, and of course the simplest path from point A to point B is a straight line.  Curved terrain pieces can also more easily get in the way of certain things like climbing, and it can take a little more experimentation to place curved pieces together (unlike straight rectangular pieces that you can pretty much just tile across and down).

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2009, 06:00:07 PM »
I'm already going to start a 4th pack :P

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »
I guess I've got a preference for straight terrain as well, as is pretty noticable from my levels...

Umm... no. Just once, I'm afraid. :D
Hmm, I've had another look, but I can't find anything else but my intended solution (creator's blind eye?). Could you give a hint on what you did? (I suspect you used the trick in the lower part, and somehow did something else for the top.)

Also had a glance at (and solved) your new levels, three seem pretty familiar ;), though there's a new skillset to RABBIX now. The last one is pretty timing-heavy :-\

I like minimac's new level; managed to save one more lemming than required, but the solution has got quite a few interesting elements.

While digging for my checklist of solved custom levels, I found a lot of very old sketches for level ideas :D, downside is that a lot of them are incomprehensible, as often I just noted down a few words, and perhaps a tiny sketch :-\...

@Insane Steve: Didn't you also have a few leftover levels from ages ago which were supposed to go into pack 10?

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2009, 11:43:39 PM »
Hmm, I've had another look, but I can't find anything else but my intended solution (creator's blind eye?). Could you give a hint on what you did? (I suspect you used the trick in the lower part, and somehow did something else for the top.)

It's probably easiest to explain it with a replay.

The first three levels in my pack are mostly graphical improvements, plus a couple of backroute fixes, so of course they're not going to play too differently. The new one is probably the sort of thing I wouldn't want to play myself, to be honest, but still I liked the idea and wanted to make something of it.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2009, 11:48:09 PM »
So I watched that replay and that's pretty much the same "main trick" used as one of my 10th pack levels I made yesterday hahaha

yet I still couldn't beat geoo's level with it.

oh well  :)
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2009, 12:21:35 AM »
Haha, fun story. :P

It's probably easiest to explain it with a replay.
Ah, I assumed you did the lower part the intended way and not the upper one. I somehow ignored that the lemmings could get pressed into that tight space and thus a timing-based solution for the lower part possible. I hope I can throw off that timing by widening the gap to 24 pixels again.
My intended solution for that bottom part should be clear now, anyway.

Yeah, the underlying idea to your fourth level is actually pretty nice, just remembering/adjusting positions for timing is a bit of pain.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2009, 12:46:58 AM »
I'll give you a challenging snow level right here.

A bunch of random marble terrain pieces? Did you make this level in Oh No More Lemmings mode?

Anyway, I managed to reconstruct the actual level and solve it (after running into a nasty twist near the end... good one :))

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2009, 07:37:59 AM »
A bunch of random marble terrain pieces? Did you make this level in Oh No More Lemmings mode?

I certainly did, but when the level gets played it should turn into snow (in your case).
Actually I know something you missed: If you have the DOS OhNo More Lemmings downloaded and extracted find and open the file Lemmixstyles.ini and then open up the oh.no.more.lemmings folder. After that, copy the address and then paste it onto the Common Path under style_1. It should work by viewing the Lemmix map in the correct style.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2009, 08:24:35 AM »
Wow, that worked. Thanks :thumbsup:

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2009, 12:42:15 PM »
Has anybody been interested in playing my levelpaks? I got three so far :)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »
I might be interested in your 3rd set. I'll put up a review eventually.

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2009, 05:04:50 PM »
I might be interested in your 3rd set. I'll put up a review eventually.

Cool. Maybe review it on the review thread after the current pack review is finished :)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2009, 07:14:39 PM »
Cool. Maybe review it on the review thread after the current pack review is finished :)

I've put some of them up in the Lemmix level reviews.

By the way, one of them is open review, and the other is a game. I wonder why...

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2009, 01:59:14 PM »

I've put some of them up in the Lemmix level reviews.

By the way, one of them is open review, and the other is a game. I wonder why...

I noticed. I have no idea about open review and the other being a game. So far below is created levels or ideas for my 4th pack.

Divided Loyalties (Three trap doors, maybe look like a challenge)
A beautiful view (Nothing special, just the crystal set with some design of my own)
Mission Lempossible (One way system, how you going to get through that? bombers? diggers?)
Artwork gone wrong (An upside-down exit and trapdoor, with some upside down terrain?)
Boom Boom Pow (Only bombers to get through the obstacles to the exit?)
Time to get wet (Waterfalls! but you going to have to break through terrain if you dont want to get wet :P)
Amnesia (Tops of houses protruding from terrain, but which one is the exit?)