Author Topic: Lemmix-Editor problem with Dirt-Level  (Read 7635 times)

LemKing

Lemmix-Editor problem with Dirt-Level
« on: January 05, 2009, 05:51:19 PM »
Hey Guys !! >:(
Im a lemming freak and finally i downloaded lemmix, and built some quite hard levels for it...
since then i had no problems with the editor,
but now I started a Dirt-Level and put arrows for bashing/mining in only one direction: Miners cannot pass the terrain, they just hit it once and then turn around, althought its always the right direction..
What the hell do i have to do now??? :huh:
PLease answer if anyone knows a/the solution! Thats quite important for me :XD:

Greetz, LemKing  :P

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmix-Editor problem with Dirt-Level
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 08:05:10 PM »
This is a known bug in the game. It only happens with right one-way arrows (left arrows work as expected), so you might be able to get around this problem by flipping the level and having the lemmings mine left instead of right. Alternatively, you could place steel on the terrain so that only a miner can go through it.

Welcome to the forum LemKing, and I look forward to playing your levels :)

LemKing

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:54:51 PM »
thx for your fast answer!
hmm..  :XD: does this bug only appear in dirt-levels ? or is there generally a problem with right-way arrows?
btw, how to flip a map ? you mean i need to rebuild all of it, don't ya ? :cool:
...damn such a good level... a pity...

PS: yes i will upload my levels when i still have build some more of them

Greetzz LemKing

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:10:11 PM »
Yes, to flip a level you have to rebuild it completely... I wouldn't recommend it if there's another way around it, especially with an asymmetric tileset like the dirt one.

This bug is not specific to a single tileset - right one-way arrows in all tilesets are affected.

I presume you know where to upload levels?

LemKing

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:00:30 PM »
hi again, thx for all these information!
now im stuck with another problem (dont wanna open a new thread for it).
its when i save levels where ive put some steel, when i load it again afterwards, all steel is moved and theres less of it. hope this problem can be solved anyhow  :'(
ps: i will upload my levels, i promise.. i will write in here once more at that time and then you maybe can explain me how 2 make a levelpack, atm ive only got the .lvl-files

greetz LemKing

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 09:24:07 AM »
Not sure about the steel problem. Maybe you've moved the terrain (to center it on the map perhaps) and left the steel behind? I have no idea why it would disappear though...

To make a levelpack you click File, then New/Dos Level pack... then right-click on the level pack editor and select "Add LVL file". Add your levels to the pack, rearrange them if you want, then select "Save levelpack as..." (you need to add .dat to the filename to save it in the correct format - slightly annoying).

Hope this helps :)

LemKing

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 12:54:08 PM »
ok thanks...
damn its so annoying, if the steel problem cant be solved there are a few levels that i cannot release,theyre without any sense if the steel isnt exactly at the point where i wannit. does no one here have the same prob like me with designing ???
(there are a few levels with steel i saved but if i load'em the steel is moved a bit or even it's away!)
another thing: i cannot mark a single steel part, thats why i need to delet all steel parts and make new ones..
 :devil: :devil: :devil:
still hoping 4 help

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:15:14 AM »
Ah, I think I've got it. Lemmix is a bit picky about where you can place steel (and other objects like trapdoors as well). For steel, the X and Y positions, as well as the length and width, all have to be exact multiples of 4. If they aren't, the editor will shift them slightly so that they are when you load the level. If you place steel too far off the top or left of the map it will disappear altogether (actually it ends up way off the bottom or right of the map :laugh: )

Also keep in mind that the X positions of objects (trapdoors, exits etc) and the screen start position should be at multiples of 8 (otherwise they don't work properly in DOS), but for playing in Lemmix these don't matter so much.

These problems aren't because of the editor itself - they are limitations of the original game. Hopefully you can work this into your levels easily enough :)

LemKing

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
ouh, thank u very much clam :spam: mer  !
well, what does that mean for me, i mean actually i put the steel when i finished the map.. do i have to move some parts of the terrain now to get it fixed ?  (hmm..i'll try it)

and do you know any possibility to mark just one steel-part ?

ps: atm ive much time 2 build maps cause im ill, already have alot of levels^^

GReeTZ LemKing

EDIT: Well I think it works ;) and I found the place where to render single steel parts (F7).
Do you also know where to move the whole level to the right so that its in the middle of the screen?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 10:55:17 PM »
ouh, thank u very much clam :spam: mer  !

:laugh: No problem :laugh:

I have found a few useful tricks for centering the level on the map. You can select everything by pressing A, then move it all at once. To find the center of the map, use the screen start display (under the View menu), and set the screen start to 640. The white box will be exactly in the middle of the map. Just move the level until it looks about right - it doesn't need to be perfect.

LemKing

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 01:06:38 PM »
u helped me quite a lot until now, maybe i can upload a first level for you.
it's a lvl-file, could u tell me where to upload it (and maybe how to).

and moving the level with a works fine  :thumbsup: