Author Topic: The Official Lemmings Companion - Taxing 4: "Watch Your Step!"  (Read 10084 times)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile

How the Hell do I solve this level? Any ideas?

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Lemmings Companion - Taxing 4: "Watch Your Step!"
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:10:31 PM »
No, Lemmy. Not Taxing 4 from the original Lemmings game, but the Taxing 4 of TOLC.

Too bad, I'm not at home to play the game again... >:( I'll help you out this week-end (until you solved the level or someone else would give the solution to you). A screenshot of the level can also help me to remember the solution too.

Suggestions to evaarties : it would be nice to do the solutions for the alternate demos of Oh no! More Lemmings : "The Official Lemming Companion" and "Save The Lemmings".
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 10:18:16 AM »
I'm certainly gonna do that :). For now this is my list:

- finish my new website, see http://lemmings.isamedia.org/index.php?topic=215.msg4452;topicseen#new
- finish 3D Lemmings
- finish Lemmings Revolution
- finish the demo's floating around

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 10:44:17 AM »

I don't have any screenshots of the level, but remember "Tightrope City": well, "Watch Your Step!" is almost the same level, but made with bricks, and with a small gap in its tiny floor. There are two blockers and only two brigdes... What should I do to cross that breach? I assume the solution, save this point, is exactly the same as in "Tightrope City".

Hope someone can solve it before evaarties make the walkthrough...  :laugh:

(P.S. By the way, thank you for your walkthroughs, evaarties! You helped me a lot with the Highland Tribe!)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 03:56:37 PM »
Ok, yeah. I remember the level. Yeah, the solution is quite similar to "Tightrope city".

Make the fourth lemming a blocker right when he lands from the trapdoor. When the first Lemming reaches the "gap", make him a builder. Then, make the third lemming a blocker so that, when the builder will end building, the top of the stair will be right above the blocker's head for the lemmings to pass. With the second lemming, just build to the exit.

I don't remember if you also get some bashers, but if you have some, you can give them to the first lemmings that are coming to the exit, passing the blocker, to slow them down.

Offline Lemmy556

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 05:49:19 PM »
No, Lemmy. Not Taxing 4 from the original Lemmings game, but the Taxing 4 of TOLC.

Too bad, I'm not at home to play the game again... >:( I'll help you out this week-end (until you solved the level or someone else would give the solution to you). A screenshot of the level can also help me to remember the solution too.

Suggestions to evaarties : it would be nice to do the solutions for the alternate demos of Oh no! More Lemmings : "The Official Lemming Companion" and "Save The Lemmings".

Oops!Sorry!

Offline Lemmy556

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:47:32 PM »
Where I can get this game :huh:

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile

Offline Lemmy556

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 12:18:57 PM »
Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 09:08:13 PM »

Ouch, I can't believe the solution were quite simple... Thank You, DragonsLover!

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 04:56:57 AM »
No problem guys! :laugh:

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 03:21:48 PM »

I started playing "Save the Lemmings" and I noticed some difference in graphics. The attachment shows 2 bars, the upper one is for standard PC's, the second one shows when you play in High Performance PC's. Which one do you prefer to see on my site?

PS Does someone know what all the differences are between the PC choices on DOS Lemmings?

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 06:11:19 PM »
High Performance PCs mode only changes the skills bar (like you have shown) and the text fonts right above it (OUT: IN: and so on...). It also allows few more seconds when the time limit reaches 0 because of the fade out. In fact, High Performance PCs mode can be used for every Dos Lemmings games by using Dosbox 0.70 and above versions.

However, the only "thing" is that the color palette changes depending of the level style which may give something not beautiful. Try to do a screenshot using Dosbox with CTRL+F5 (not with Print Screen Key) and you'll get a skill bar but with better alternate colors. Use this one.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 06:35:47 PM »
I see, but I do not understand the last part you are saying.

Gives the choice 'High performance PC' different color palettes for the skill bar per level, or do you mean something different?

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 09:50:35 PM »
Well. I played with the high performance setting and now I understand what you are saying, every level has it's own color palette for the skill bar.

I'm gonna take these bars, might give the site something funny. If it looks really weird, I only have to replay the covox levels :).

Edit: I tried making a CTRL+F5 screenshot, wow those bars now look completely different. Is this a bug in DOSBox?

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 06:46:32 AM »
It's not really a bug... In earlier versions of Dosbox, if you tried to play the game in High Performance, the colors were constantly flicking and the game lagged a lot. This is because Dosbox wasn't able to support it. Now, Dosbox is able to, but I think it gets problem with color palettes. The only way to see exactly is to get an old PC (a very old one) that have Dos and try the High Performance to see what colors the skill bar and fonts are using.

So, I don't know really if it's Dosbox problem or Lemmings problem... or both! :winktounge:

I remember something that was used for the Atari ST. Atari ST could only support 16 colors, but in the game, you have way much colors. They used a technique that quickly switches colors so that it looks like there a much than 16 colors (I don't know the name of this technique). I think it's the same thing with "High Performance PCs" mode, but way much slower... If you take a screenshot with Print Screen, you get what you see on screen. If, however, you take a screenshot with Dosbox, well, you saw it by yourself! ;)

Anyway, I must say that it's quite a bit "nice" to have alternate colors for skill bars, depending of the level style, but sometimes, like for the Holiday Lemmings style, it's not very nice...

You better took the one you just did with CTRL+F5 as if I remember correctly, the colors are always the same regardless of the level style.

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 07:50:12 AM »
Yeah, I noticed, this is what I'm gonna do:

Make the solutions with the PrtScn and take the bars from CTRL+F5 (The levelcolors are wrong with CTRL+F5).