Author Topic: Extracting levels from the Amiga version  (Read 19958 times)

PIGSgrame

Extracting levels from the Amiga version
« on: April 21, 2007, 11:56:33 PM »
Is it possible to extract levels from the Amiga version of Lemmings and store them in a PC readable format?

The idea is to create a level pack which contains Fun22, Tricky14, Tricky21, Taxing15, and Mayhem22 from the Amiga version, so that PC users can play it with the Customized Lemmings Game - but I have no idea how to do this...

Can anyone explain to me how I can manage this? Or is there even someone who has already extracted these levels?

[edit]
Now I found the "Corrected Lemmings Version" which claims that it's levels have been taken from the Amiga version on Mindless's Lemmings file portal. It does, however, not contain the levels which are pictured here (and which are the ones I seek). Are there different Amiga versions?
[/edit]

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:28:35 AM by Mindless »

PIGSgrame

Re: Extracting levels from the Amiga version
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 02:13:47 AM »
Thanks for the uploads, but the archives don't contain the "Amiga only" levels
  • Fun 22, "Go For It!"
  • Tricky 14, "Lemming Lament"
  • Tricky 21, "Going their separate ways
  • Taxing 14, "It's Not Over 'Til It's Over"
  • Mayhem 22, "Don't Make The Wrong Choice!"
which are the ones I am especially interested in :(

As far as I understand, there is one Amiga version that does contain the levels with special graphics and one where these levels were replaced by the ones above. Do you have these replacement levels also?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 01:28:30 PM »
Hmm... I'll probably have to boot up my Windows machine and see if I can rip those...

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:29:00 AM by Mindless »

PIGSgrame

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 08:33:34 PM »
Thank you very much! I always wanted to play these levels, but have not been able to extract them :)

PIGSgrame

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 12:56:57 PM »
OK, meanwhile I looked up these Amiga-only levels from Mindless's package and put them together in a levelpack file. Anyone intrested to have a look, feel free to download it: http://downloads.pigsgrame.de/AMIGALVL.DAT (Should work with the customized Lemmings game as well as with Lemmix).

"Going their separate Ways" was not included in Mindless's upload, but I downloaded this level several years ago from a source I don't remember. Because it was not extracted directly from an Amiga version, I cannot verify that is the original one, through it certainly reproduces the original idea.

I have to say that these are very intresting, challenging levels. The "special" levels which were added in favour of them have, of course, better eye candy, but I think the dropped out ones clearly grant the better gaming experience. If I had been in the developers' place, I would probably have dropped some of the less interesting doublettes and kept those Amiga levels. As for "Going their separate Ways", I have no idea why this was exchanged by "All the 6's". The latter might be a funny idea, but is not challenging at all, whereas the original one offers a unique puzzle.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 04:54:58 PM »
"Going their separate Ways" was not included in Mindless's upload, but I downloaded this level several years ago from a source I don't remember. Because it was not extracted directly from an Amiga version, I cannot verify that is the original one, through it certainly reproduces the original idea.

That level came from the Mac version of Lemmings (or at least it is present there; I'm not aware whether any Amiga versions have it or not).  I can see if it can be extracted from my copy.

I have to say that these are very intresting, challenging levels. The "special" levels which were added in favour of them have, of course, better eye candy, but I think the dropped out ones clearly grant the better gaming experience. If I had been in the developers' place, I would probably have dropped some of the less interesting doublettes and kept those Amiga levels. As for "Going their separate Ways", I have no idea why this was exchanged by "All the 6's". The latter might be a funny idea, but is not challenging at all, whereas the original one offers a unique puzzle.

You sort of have it backwards I think.  The "special" levels and "All the 6's" came first.  The first Amiga releases only have the "special" levels and "All the 6's".  It's only in later releases that for various reasons they created these other levels to replace them.

It's well known that "All the 6's" were replaced in a few later versions of the game due to some people's objections about having "666" in the game.

PIGSgrame

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »
That level came from the Mac version of Lemmings (or at least it is present there; I'm not aware whether any Amiga versions have it or not).  I can see if it can be extracted from my copy.
This would be great, since I don't know whether the level I have here was extracted from the game or is just a reproduction.

You sort of have it backwards I think.  The "special" levels and "All the 6's" came first.
Did they? I don't know for sure, but from what I have read, there is a "one disk" and "two disks" version of the Amiga version and the special levels were added later. What would be a sensible reason for removing the extended graphic sets later on, after quite some effort has been invested to create them?

It's well known that "All the 6's" were replaced in a few later versions of the game due to some people's objections about having "666" in the game.
I wasn't aware of that, but since the Mac version was released long after the first Amiga version (and the PC version?), this is likely to be true. Most sources I've found, however, always refer to "Going their separate Ways" as the "original" Tricky21.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 06:08:41 PM »
Well I won't say I'm an expert on the history of Lemmings release especially on the Amiga.  This would've been a good question for people like Mike to answer, had they stay around on this forum.

Are your sources available online for us to read about?

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 09:46:46 PM »
This would be great, since I don't know whether the level I have here was extracted from the game or is just a reproduction.
It's probably the reproduction from LemNet.

You sort of have it backwards I think.  The "special" levels and "All the 6's" came first.
Did they? I don't know for sure, but from what I have read, there is a "one disk" and "two disks" version of the Amiga version and the special levels were added later. What would be a sensible reason for removing the extended graphic sets later on, after quite some effort has been invested to create them?
They wanted it to fit on one disk... it is the budget version after all.

I wasn't aware of that, but since the Mac version was released long after the first Amiga version (and the PC version?), this is likely to be true. Most sources I've found, however, always refer to "Going their separate Ways" as the "original" Tricky21.
AFAIK "Going their separate Ways" was never released on the Amiga (which would be the original.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 09:56:32 PM »
They wanted it to fit on one disk... it is the budget version after all.

I should also add that there isn't as much "effort invested to create them" as one might think.  AFAIK, the 4 special levels are simply screenshots of other DMA games, with an entrance and exit thrown in.  As such, I daresay it might even be easier for DMA to "design" those special levels as compared to "real" levels.  It is also why those special levels take up much more space then regular levels--probably too much to fit on a single disk.

The fact that it's a "budget version" does make me think that the "two disk" version comes first, and they later for marketing reasons decided to downgrade it to a one-disk, "budget" version, adding extra levels in the process to replace the ones that couldn't fit.  Of course I could be completely wrong; some research on this will be needed.

(edit: based on the first post on the thread where PIGSGrame found the screenshots of the levels, it seems more likely to me that the one-disk version was released later)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 06:00:34 AM »

I extracted the level "Going Their Separate Ways" from the Mac version of Lemmings.  I think it'd works on the PC version too, here it is:

http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/index.php?cmd=get&file=/Trick21B.lvl

PIGSgrame

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 03:08:32 PM »
Thanks! I've compared both levels and found out that the one I had was actually a reproduction (although a good one), which differs in some details. I have included your extracted level into my levelpack and re-uploaded it (same link as above).

As the one disk version is also refered as the budget version, it's indeed likely that it was released later. If you add the fact that the special graphic sets only consist of screenshots or pictures from other Psygnosis games (which I didn't know before), I am next to convinced, so all I can say that they did a rather good job covering the loss of the eye candy levels, putting in some challenging puzzles. The only thing is that "Go for it", although not actually hard to solve, might be a bit too difficult for a Fun level.

MattKamineko

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 01:50:45 PM »
I've had a look on the Lemmings File Archive and the Lemmings File Portal, and I can't find any mention of the Xmas '91, '92 or Holiday 1994 levels... would anybody happen to have them handy?  :winktounge:

WNivek

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »
I've had a look on the Lemmings File Archive and the Lemmings File Portal, and I can't find any mention of the Xmas '91, '92 or Holiday 1994 levels... would anybody happen to have them handy?  :winktounge:

The DOS versions of '91, '92, '93 (both demo and full) and '94 (demo only) can be downloaded from Lemmings Universe. (You can also find Amiga and Mac versions of '92, plus the Covox demo and Lemmings Companion bonus disk, both for DOS.)
Alternatively, you can acquire '91 through '94 (full) in one package from Abandonia.com.

PlanetEmu.net has Amiga versions of '93 and '94.
(remember, "Telecharger" is French for "Download".)

By the way, it may be worth noting that the third and fourth levels from XMas Lemmings '91 are absolutely identical to Crazy 14 and Wicked 3 from ONML.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 04:29:52 AM »
I have them all if you want.

You don't need "Holiday Lemmings 93" as the levels are already included in "Holiday Lemmings 94".

Bad thing is "Holiday Lemmings 94" automatically sets the mode to "PC Compatibles" and Dosbox 0.70 supports "High Performance PCs".
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

MattKamineko

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 12:30:55 AM »
If you've got all of the seperate .lvl files for these levels Dragons then that would just be awesome.  :thumbsup:

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 03:50:24 AM »
Ok. I'll do that using Lemmix Level Editor.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 07:09:36 PM »
UP!

Done! Enjoy!

Download

Notices that these levels are from the Dos version of the games.

MattKamineko

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 11:11:40 PM »
UP!

Done! Enjoy!

Download

Notices that these levels are from the Dos version of the games.

Ooooooh! Ho ho ho! You are excellent and great!

*pours levels into machine and slowly turns gigantic crank*

This... *heave*... won't take a moment.

MattKamineko

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 02:15:16 AM »
Alrighty, everything seems groovy, except for one level. Xmas Lemmings 93 Level 8 : Vacation in Gemland. I can't figure out what graphics set this level set is supposed to use... In Mindless' online level mapper it looks like this

Is it a special graphics level, or is something just mixed up a bit here?

Edit - Ahhh. My mistake. I must have skipped that 'Rock' style as I was testing each one.

That's better, eh?  :thumbsup:

MattKamineko

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 06:34:39 PM »
*bing*

*opens microwave*

Get 'em while they're... cold.

WNivek

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 05:59:33 PM »
Ah, if only I had a DS...  Nice work. :)  I see, though, that your count of included levels is still counting the second two from XMas 91, which are direct dupes from ONML...

Have you considered also including the levels from Covox Lemmings, and the Lemmings Companion bonus disk? Okay, so they wouldn't exactly be a major addition to the level set (8 in Covox, 16 in Companion), but they are, as far as I'm aware, official...

Might also be a good idea to consider including the 100 (or so) levels which were unique to the Genesis/MegaDrive version. ccexplore worked out a way to extract them...

one last thought before clicking 'Post':  "Going their separate ways"? "Ohayo Lemming-san"? The anti-special (Amiga Budget) levels? the Sega levels from MasterSystem Lemmings?

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 07:18:17 PM »

Sorry...just catching up.....well, better late than never.... :)

The 1st version was the Amiga one, and it had 2 disks. Disk 1 was the main game code and the intro. Disk 2 was the levels. The Original version had the 4 special levels and the 666 one (all of which done by me BTW). They were sometimes replaced in later versions/skews.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »
But, Mike, why in the PC-Dos version of the game, some objects and skills were different/missing from the Amiga levels? Is it because of the memory? (I don't remember if this question was already asked to you. I'm sorry if so.) :(

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 07:00:32 AM »
Yeah.  memory and speed. Russell couldn't draw 100 lemmings (I think it was 80) so some levels were changed.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
Holiday Lemmings '93 levels
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 01:33:22 AM »
Some of the levels on the Amiga version of Holiday Lemmings '93 are a bit different from the DOS version, and Flurry 8 is a completely different level. If anyone can rip them, that would be great.

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:29:34 AM by Mindless »

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 06:20:41 AM »
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/files/amiga/amiga_holiday_93_levels.zip
http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/files/amiga/amiga_holiday_94_levels.zip

I did these rips kind'a quick, so apologies if they're broken -- I didn't try them at all.

Yes, they work. I have noticed that two of the '93 levels are slightly different when played in the Amiga version of '94. One of them, Flurry 6, has steel areas placed on the steel terrain pieces, preventing lemmings from bashing through them. (In the '93 version, you were actually allowed to bash through the steel.)

zennehoy

« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2008, 06:30:43 PM »
While we're at it, does anyone have the original Amiga DAT files handy (original, oh no and holiday lemmings, plus any I forgot)? Or were the DAT files a DOS-only thing? I suppose I could use the above extracted level sets and convert them back into a DAT, but so far I think the community created compressors don't do as good of a job as the original.
Would be great if someone could post them,
thanks,
Zen

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2008, 10:20:16 PM »
O_o  my compressor generally gets a better ratio than the original DATs had
and yes, DAT files were just DOS

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2020, 11:18:45 PM »
The links are broken... does anyone still have copies of these? (i.e. the Amiga .lvls for Lemmings and ONML)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2020, 11:26:46 PM »
The download link in this post still works.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2020, 02:31:50 AM »
The download link in this post still works.

Brill, thanks Proxima!

Just one thing - this only contains the "alternative" levels (Go For It, Going Their Separate Ways, etc) which is great, but I need the full packs as well.

Does anyone have copies of the full Lemmings/ONML packs, or know how to extract them?

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2020, 08:14:39 PM »
ccexplore - do you still have the Amiga levels that you extracted?

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2020, 04:45:43 PM »
I found these sitting on my hard drive. Is this what you're looking for?

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2020, 06:15:35 PM »
I found these sitting on my hard drive. Is this what you're looking for?

Yes! Brilliant, thank you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2020, 08:23:31 PM »
OK, so... here's where I'm up to:

Thanks to namida, I have an extraction tool that can generate LVL copies of the Amiga levels by decompressing emulation savestates - genius! 8-)

Furthermore, thanks to geoo, I have a full set of already-extracted Amiga LVLs, which saves me having to create 120 savestates and extract them all manually.

I did a few manual extractions in order to compare the two by opening the respective LVL files in the NL Editor, to make sure they're the same. Indeed, both the savestate extraction and the LVL from geoo's zip folder looked like this:

As you can see, some of the water graphics are missing. It's good in the sense that, at least I know that the zip folder from geoo contains the exact files I'd obtain by extracting them manually using namida's tool. So, that puts the conversion project a few steps forward. :thumbsup:

I then discovered that opening either LVL file in the 1.43 Editor yields the following:

So - all of the water is there! This indicates that the files themselves do indeed contain the necessary data to generate the objects. However, it also confirms what namida said about new formats disregarding objects that are in a certain "slot", as the LVL file marks these as "fake".

All I have to do is open the files in 1.43, save it as a new LVL file, and then open it in the new Editor - everything is there, intact!

This means that no manual editing is necessary, which is great! However, it would take quite a lot of time to open each file, save it, re-open it, and save it again.

So, thankfully, namida then provided a magic version of NeoLemmix which doesn't disregard "fake" objects. By using NL's F8 "Cleanse levels" feature, I was able to obtain a full pack of completely processed NXLVs with all terrain and objects intact!

So, once again: thank you, namida and geoo! I can now start work on the newly restored conversion of Lemmings.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:31:08 PM by WillLem »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2020, 11:30:49 PM »
ccexplore - do you still have the Amiga levels that you extracted?

A little late to the party, but had you read through the thread more carefully, you might see that Mindless was the person that extracted the bulk of Amiga levels.  My one and only contribution on this thread was extracting "Going Their Separate Ways" from Mac version of Lemmings, and later in the thread it was determined that there was never an official Amiga version of that level released (there was only a manual reproduction someone made of the level, based on looking at the Mac version).

If you want that level and it isn't already included in geoo's attached zip file, I'll see if I can dig it out from my backups and such.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2020, 11:48:33 PM »
We have "Going Their Separate Ways" now. A few posts up, I linked PIGSgrame's post containing this together with the Budget Amiga levels. Looking at the sequence of posts on the first page, it was your extraction of the level that he included.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2020, 06:53:28 AM »
Here are the conversions from the uploaded zip from geoo. Not sure if they around here yet but here they are. 1 set is for the old
lemmix players and the other set is for neolemmix. I already have them working with my old players (1st set) and also with neolemmix 2nd set. they are for original lemmings, oh no more lemmings, holiday 93, 94 lemmings and 4 extra level files that were in the uploaded zip(Go for it!, lemming lament, it's not over till it's over and Don't make the wrong choice). In neolemmix the levels I noticed have a width of 1584 to about 1600. compared to the originals, most way smaller than that. in some levels
one can really see the difference (ie taxing 22-come over to my place, the level has much more green water to the left and right)
or oh no more lemmings wild level 12 snow joke with a lot more snow past the exit to the right.
NOTE: the .lvl for neolemmix won't work for old players and old player .lvl files are not used for neolemmix.

also the neolemmix levels need to be packed using the pack tool kit but this is quick compared to the converting.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:02:56 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2020, 07:54:27 AM »
I just noticed that the neolemmix .lvls seem to work in Superlemmini. look at the levels come over to my place (taxing 22) and oh no more lemmings snow joke (wild 12). looks awesome in superlemmini
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:25:52 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2020, 06:56:55 AM »
Here are the conversions from the uploaded zip from geoo. Not sure if they around here yet but here they are. 1 set is for the old
lemmix players and the other set is for neolemmix.
---
also the neolemmix levels need to be packed using the pack tool kit but this is quick compared to the converting.

Thanks for doing this ericderkovits! Brilliant stuff! It's good to have these backed up in multiple formats. :thumbsup:

I also prepared a set of Amiga-NXLV conversions for original Lemmings and have already compiled them for inclusion with 12.9.0 as the new official pack, so there's no need for anyone to pack these particular levels themselves.

It's great that you've taken the time to do the others as well though - I'm looking at doing a similar restoration project for the other official packs, maybe we can work on these together from your conversions? It would be good to have help for these!

Offline Mindless

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2020, 01:36:12 AM »
I fixed the links in my previous posts.

I also ripped the "demo" and "bookclub" levels, but I can't recall if there were any differences:
https://www.camanis.net/lemmings/files/rips/levels/

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2020, 02:38:49 AM »

I also ripped the "demo" and "bookclub" levels, but I can't recall if there were any differences:

The Bookclub version has a unique Tricky 21 and Taxing 20, the other levels are the same as either normal or Budget (I forget which) version.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2020, 08:18:13 PM »

Thanks for this, Mindless. I'm sure these will come in very handy for the proposed conversion project. Please do get involved if you're interested.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2020, 12:09:22 AM »
Thanks, the 2 book club ones I didnt have as the restored ones (through the graveyard and something weighing on your mind)
Now I know my old lemmix player and neolemmix player uses the restored ones-not that it's too noticable when playing the 2 levels, just now the width is now at 1584 for all my lemmix and neolemmix players). The original lemmings and the extra levels all work with the restored ones(also the demo version of orig). Haven't yet played the ohno or holiday ones, but will soon. Still testing all my original lemmings ones making sure they play the correct music). It's cumbersome to put music into neolemmix levels, have to do it level by level. I wish the neolemmix editor was able to read a text file with prearranged ones. Superlemmini  it's much quicker. I can just change the music one for whichever version of lemmings I'm using(orig, ohno, holiday, etc) or whether i'm using dos, amiga or SNES.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2020, 01:38:23 AM »
It's cumbersome to put music into neolemmix levels, have to do it level by level. I wish the neolemmix editor was able to read a text file with prearranged ones.

Are you trying to achieve an arbitrary "random" order like Genesis does, or are you just after a "at the end of rank, go back to the first track" setup? If it's the latter - Lemmings Plus I and II do this, take a look at their "music.nxmi" files. ;)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2020, 01:54:27 AM »
At least for the originals games(orig, ohno, holiday 93(xmas songs), holiday 93 and 94 (ohno songs), xmas 91, xmas 92 and even
the demo one for the amiga and dos ones. not sure about the order of genesis ones. but at least for the amiga and dos)