Author Topic: Level freezes the game whenever you scroll  (Read 6903 times)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Level freezes the game whenever you scroll
« on: March 29, 2007, 07:55:38 PM »
My younger brother is still into LemEdit, unlike myself.

So he made a level and when he tested it out, it always froze when you scrolled past a certain point, without fail, every time.  We dunno what's wrong with it.  LemEdit's problem checker comes up blank.

Can someone help figure out why it's freezing?
Here's the LVL file.

I remember someone having a more advanced level checker but I can't find it.

Also, anyone else had a problem where Windows Explorer crashes every time you browse to a directory with a DOS file in it?  My brother's computer seems to have started doing that. >_>

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Level freezes the game whenever you scroll
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:04:20 AM »
So he made a level and when he tested it out, it always froze when you scrolled past a certain point, without fail, every time.  We dunno what's wrong with it.  LemEdit's problem checker comes up blank.

Can someone help figure out why it's freezing?
Here's the LVL file.

I remember someone having a more advanced level checker but I can't find it.

I believe Mindless wrote the level checker; try searching the forum for the thread on it.

I'll look at your level this weekend if no one figures out the problem yet.  Most likely problem is an object or steel area that's outside the boundaries of the level area.  LemEdit's problem checker is notoriously useless in that regard.

Also, anyone else had a problem where Windows Explorer crashes every time you browse to a directory with a DOS file in it?  My brother's computer seems to have started doing that. >_>

Sorry, never heard of this.  What version of Windows is this?  Also, can you be more specific what a "DOS file" is?  Is is a specific type of file?

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:00:28 AM »
I validated the file with Lemmix and saw that the Y-position of object #1 was somewhere around 65000+
Don't know how that comes. I repaired the mistake and set the Y-position to 0.
Hope it helps...

Uploaded to here (will be removed later)

http://home.hccnet.nl/ericenzwaan/lemmix/NOTEASY_REPAIRED.LVL

Regards,
Eric

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:17:14 AM »
That would probably be it.  Wonder how he got it there.

Well, either way he'll be happy when I give him it after he wakes up this morning.  Thanks.  I'll have to remember Lemmix has that.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 01:01:39 PM »
It's possible to set coordinates to negative in LemEdit for who knows what reason, so I'm guessing a small negative number caused the problem.

Offline Tim

• Skype name: timfoxxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 11:05:18 PM »
Yes, whenever you put any object above the top of the screen, it always crashes for me. If you have played any of my levels, you would noticed that sometimes the entrance is sitting right on the brim of the top level border. So ive pretty much always worked around that.

It could be the same problem for the left and right borders, but probably not. I only know about the top border

siergiej

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 07:51:21 AM »
Thanks a lot!!!

I had the same problem, but after some fixes everything is OK. Thanks to that I will probably be able to announce some levels soon.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 05:08:48 AM »
Yup, you must NEVER put an object (even not a little row of pixels or part of it) above the level screen limit or it will cause a crash while scrolling.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...