Lemmings Boards > Help & Guides

It switches the music to the same track every time after failing!

(1/3) > >>

Megaritz:
I am playing the first Lemmings game, downloaded from Abandonia, with DosBox. When I play and fail any level, regardless of which music was previously playing, in the next attempt to play the level, it will switch to the music track that plays in Level 1, and play that for all further attempts at the level! Then, it goes back to whatever music track it was on before when I get to the next level. When I get into the taxing and mayhem levels, and have to play levels over and over to succeed, I will literally be listening to the level 1 music for the vast majority of the time!

I know it's a good song, but I'd really like to avoid that problem. Does anyone have a solution (other than simply succeeding the first time, every time)? I'd really appriciate any help with this problem...Please help me, I don't want to start hating that song!  :(

ccexplore:
Yeah, it's an unfortunate, well-known problem in the game.  I believe I have a hacked copy of lemmings that fix that problem, but it'll take me a few days to fish it out (and to make sure it doesn't have other unwanted changes).

DragonsLover:
I have an alternate executable that solves the problem. However, the cheat code doesn't work and I guess that the safe fall distance is wrong too.

ccexplore: Remember when I was talking about doing a "corrected" version of the game? I think it would be useful for now. You see? I'm NOT the only one. If you could do a Lemmings version where:

- There's a version with CD support and another one that doesn't have
- Musics are okay
- Safe fall distance is okay (60 pixels)
- Cheat code and Version code are available
- Missing objects are back

That would be really appreciated and I think it will always avoid you to fish for a correct version when needed. I don't understand, you have the capabilities to change anything in the game and you don't do anything to correct that.

OneWeirdDude:
I hate to say it, but that's not a bug.  The reason it does that is to penalize you for failing.  You get an unlimited number of tries for each level, so there's rather few ways of punishing failure, but this is one of them.

And if I'm not mistaken, I think I noticed someone talk about the "lenient", 66-pixel safe-fall version?  I prefer the "stringent", 63-pixel-fall version, because otherwise the game is too easy.

With all due respect,
W.
 :)

DragonsLover:
OneWeirdDude: You're wrong. One of the Lemmings programmer, Mike, has said that originally, the game should have 60-pixel safe-fall distance. He said that the +3 pixels is a mistake in the programmation when a Lemming falls.

As for the music, it is REALLY a bug. Try playing the Atari-ST version or Amiga version and you'll not have this error in these versions. Why under DOS then?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version