Author Topic: What's in a name?  (Read 6234 times)

Offline weirdybeardy

• View Profile
What's in a name?
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:44:20 AM »
Hi all,

Just having a random wonder about level names, and what goes into them. Do you try to create a name that's funny, or meaningful? Or just the first thing that comes into your head? Does the name always fit the level? Do you ever have an idea for a name before you start to design a level? What are you favourite level names...? You get the idea.  :laugh:
My projects:

Lemmings in Weirdyland (NeoLemmix):
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=6135.0

My levels for Lemmings 2 The Tribes can be found here:
https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=990.0

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 06:09:41 PM »
Meaningful Lemmings level names are kind'a traditional... most of the names in the game match the level somehow.
The only level I've ever made is Kindness That Can Kill, which loosly goes along with the level (at least I think so).

BulletRide

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 07:17:40 PM »
most levels names come stait from my ipod. i ussualy give them a name that i was listening to when i created the level, or that i think fits in with the style or solution. Often i give my favourite songs to my favourite levels.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:31:29 PM »
I usually have problems finding a proper name for my level. If I cannot think of anything fitting the level, I just go with a phrase I recently heard and that at least remotely matches the level. Alternatively I come up with a usually pretty uncreative title related to the design or a title that could match any level.
Best IMO are titles the subtly reflect the solution and whose meaning you only get (or makes more sense) after solving the level. I only achieved that twice I guess, in level 8 & 10 of my first pack: Link (Oh, and I don't recommend to try level 10 unless you know of the glitch used.)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:42:47 PM »
I'm a sucker for cheap references to songs and quotes.

I also use bad puns a lot in the few levels I've made.

(Yeah, I probably need to work on naming skills.)

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 03:09:07 PM »
I haven't made any levels in a couple of years  :(

But when I did, the types of names I used were pretty varied, but include:
1) A popular/cliche saying or common phrase that has something to do with some aspect of the level
2) Literal description of the situation/what the level looks like
3) An allusion to an at-first "obvious" solution that doesn't actually work (because of traps or some other reason).
4) A more subtle allusion to an aspect of the actual solution (like geoo pointed out), but this is more difficult... and is best combined with 1)
5) Song title that's related to the level concept
6) Allusion to a classic Lemmings level (or a level of another author)

And
7) A reference to how the level was created, when I got to name the collaborative level "Collaboration" (boring, but it fit :P )

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 08:46:36 PM »
I'll take some example from my remake. Be warned that some of these may contain solution spoilers, and in at least one case the name of one contains a spoiler for the solution to another!

"Dude, Where's My Exit?" and "Retreat!!!" - Pretty self-explanatory names, especially once you see the levels.
"Star Unit 16"/"Star Unit 17" - Well, I thought the level kinda looked like a starship or something...
"Remember Where You Find Them!" - This is a hint for the solution to the harder version of this level.
"The Ultimate Answer" - 42 is supposedly the answer to life, the universe, and everything... and in terms of skills and stats, this is basically the 42 version of All The 6's...
"Lemmings on a Plane" - A reference to Snakes on a Plane
"Annyeonghaseyo Lemming-Nim" - More or less the Korean equivalent of "Konbanwa Lemming-San"... similar, anyway.
"One Day,One Lem" - Reference to the song "One Day,One Dream" by Takki&Tsubasa. I was probably listening to it at the time.
"Don't go there just yet..." - An obscure hint to the solution, in that you can't go to the exit right away but must go past it and do something else first.
"YOUR LEM A SPLODE" - A reference to the meme "YOUR HEAD A SPLODE"
"Nuclear Lemmings" - Explosions. 'nuff said.
"Do A Barrel Roll!"
"Tribute To Timfoxxxy" - In my opinion at least, his levels were at least semi-good-looking, but in terms of the actual solution, were almost nothing but build build build with a blocker holding the majority back... so I exaggerated this a bit... :P
"Randomly Insane Lemmings" - A reference to the Random Insanity message board on GameFAQs
"All or Nothing: The Revenge" - It's the same idea. Hope you get the right direction when you bash.
"As Complicated As It Looks" - It's the same level except with the time limit increased and the window and exit moved, so I thought it was fitting to change the name as little as possible. And I did so, and at the same time gave it a much more accurate name for the new version. :P
"Speed Freaks" - The basic idea is clickclickclick as fast as you can.
"We're Not The First Ones Here" - Well, since the level is mostly already solved AND the exit is blocked off...
"Chain Reaction" - A very very very terrible pun. But it's better than all those snow jokes. :P
"Explore The Unknown" - A blatantly obvious hint to the solution. If you realise it's a hint, that is.
"Double Your Lemmings" - If you don't work out the trick, it almost seems as if you have to duplicate a lemming to solve this one.
"Lemming Crossover" - Comes from that the lemming who solves for the left side comes from the right, and vice versa. But not nessecerially in that order.
"The Diving Board" - Well, it looks like one. And your lemmings are pretty much going to take a dive here, unless you're very clever and quick.
"When Hell Freezes Over..." - Just thought I'd let you know when you're likely to solve this level. ^^
"Pipeline Problem" - Well. There's pipes, and there's problems. Is that enough for you? ^^

Some other names have meanings or points to them that I can't be bothered mentioning, either because they're blatantly obvious or I just can't. Most of them, however, are completely random.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 04:38:16 AM »
Names? Sometimes there's a defining level feature (terrain, skillset-wise in relation to terrain, etc.) that warrants a name. Sometimes there's a reference to the correct path of the level, or a blatantly incorrect path. Sometimes I think of something, say "hey, that'd make a cool lemmings level name" and the next level I make that has no other feautres for naming gets it. Sometimes I can't think of anything and the name turns out generic and blah, but whatever.

One thing a lot of people do that I rarely if ever do is take a common phrase and replce key words in it with "Lemming" or some variant of.  ;)
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 08:07:56 AM »
Well you asked at the end of the first post what our favourite might be, and I have to say it's probably 5 Miles if you love Lemmings because it doesn't make any sense, lol.
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »
Isn't that just a play on "Smile if you love Lemmings"? Pretend the 5 is an S and you get "Smiles" at the beginning.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 08:29:40 PM »
I know what the play is, but in a literal sense "5 Miles if you love Lemmings" makes no sense given it has no context to fit the 5 miles with. I can probably imagine the name meaning alot for Origins and Lemmings though, that has to be the most painful level to play without Fast Forward in the Fun difficulty  alongside Heaven can wait, we hope!
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 12:33:41 PM »
If you don't know the real meaning of the name 'Origins and Lemmings', you have my deepest sympathy. All you need to do is mangle the pronunciation a little and there you have it.

Oranges and lemons!