Author Topic: [SUG] Panel hints  (Read 256 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG] Panel hints
« on: April 16, 2024, 11:25:55 AM »
it would be nice to be able to optionally display skill labels underneath the skill icons for clarification for new players (e.g. my teenaged daughters, or even myself when it comes to the new skills).

Apologies, but skill panel labels isn't something I'd like to add to SLX. I'm currently trying to reduce graphics loading wherever possible, and so will only add more graphics if it's absolutely necessary. A label for each skill would require an additional 52 images (26 in each resolution) as well as probably needing to resize the buttons; it's likely that low-res would currently simply be too small to write "Platformer" legibly, for example.

However, we may be able to use Windows popup hints instead (the small diaog that briefly shows when mousing-over an item), I'll take a look later today and see if this is possible with the skill panel. In theory, it should be, because these are currently used in the Level Select menu for displaying usernames when mousing-over a record.

If it is possible, then this is something I'll look at adding in the next major update (2.8). And, if implemented, these will most likely be on/off optional (and, off by default).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 01:25:01 PM by WillLem »

Offline Tygerboi

• View Profile
Re: [SUG] Panel hints
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 12:15:28 AM »
it would be nice to be able to optionally display skill labels underneath the skill icons for clarification for new players (e.g. my teenaged daughters, or even myself when it comes to the new skills).

Apologies, but skill panel labels isn't something I'd like to add to SLX. I'm currently trying to reduce graphics loading wherever possible, and so will only add more graphics if it's absolutely necessary. A label for each skill would require an additional 52 images (26 in each resolution) as well as probably needing to resize the buttons; it's likely that low-res would currently simply be too small to write "Platformer" legibly, for example.

However, we may be able to use Windows popup hints instead (the small dialogue that briefly shows when mousing-over an item), I'll take a look later today and see if this is possible with the skill panel. In theory, it should be, because these are currently used in the Level Select menu for displaying usernames when mousing-over a record.

Hi,

OK I completely understand what you're saying regarding the extra graphics; that's fair enough.  The "popup hints" (I think they might officially be called "tool tips" by MS, but not 100% sure) would be fab please, if you could do that. This would be great too in the level info screens before you start playing the levels, where it shows all the available skills for that level, as the skill icons appear very small in this window.  Is there any chance that they could be made larger, say double the size?  In low res, if there are many, they could potentially be shown in multiple rows on this screen, if they aren't already?

Incidentally, as you mentioned the Level Select screen, I have found that sometimes the mouse cursor will revert to the Lemming hand cursor used in the title screen instead of the Windows mouse pointer, which makes expanding categories, selecting levels, etc very fiddly.  If this could be modified to force the Windows cursor on the Level Select window, that would be much appreciated please.  I have experienced this if the Level Select screen is on-screen and then Alt-Tab or the Windows key is used to switch back to the desktop/another app, and then switched back to SLX.  Closing the Level Select screen and then reopening it seems to correct the issue so it's only a very minor niggle.

BTW, I love the way the title screen changes to reflect the selected level set - that's a neat touch!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 01:31:10 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2024, 11:32:06 AM »
This would be great too in the level info screens before you start playing the levels, where it shows all the available skills for that level, as the skill icons appear very small in this window.  Is there any chance that they could be made larger, say double the size?  In low res, if there are many, they could potentially be shown in multiple rows on this screen, if they aren't already?

I've replied to this here.

I have found that sometimes the mouse cursor will revert to the Lemming hand cursor used in the title screen instead of the Windows mouse pointer ... I have experienced this if the Level Select screen is on-screen and then Alt-Tab or the Windows key is used to switch back to the desktop/another app, and then switched back to SLX.

I've replied to this here.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 11:42:27 AM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 04:56:15 PM »
I couldn't get the regular Window tooltips to show for panel buttons. So, a (perhaps better?) alternative is to display them in the status area (just above the -/+ buttons), like this:

These hints will be optional (and off by default). Ideally, I'd also like to hue-shift the text, but my attempts to do this have failed so far. I'll keep trying of course, but I'd say the feature is good enough for release even at this stage.

Initial implementation in Commit 1dbeb5a39.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 07:09:43 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 07:22:23 PM »
Much better!

Implemented in Commit 2afcb82c5 with Config menu option added in Commit ae0af2f3f.

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 12:14:50 AM »
I like this more than I thought I would.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline Tygerboi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2024, 12:37:06 PM »
That is a fine solution, and it looks great, in the blue!

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2024, 03:06:54 PM »
Glad to have approval for this. It'll be present in 2.8 for sure :lemcat:

One thing I am now wondering though is whether the regular status text (athlete info, etc) should also be hue-shifted... this is where I might be overthinking it a bit. Let's leave things as they are for now!